How would LEA get IP addresses from Totse?

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
In the event that someone over here committed a serious crime (murdering a bunch of people) and then for some retarded reason, decided to post about it on Totse - how would law enforcement agencies go about getting a member's IP address? Do they request it from Vineman or something?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I think they will use the Contact Us form or contact the ISP. But they will have to issue a code order for it.

EDIT; or they can just post a link to CP and start fishing.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    Possibly the web host.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I think they will use the Contact Us form or contact the ISP. But they will have to issue a code order for it.

EDIT; or they can just post a link to CP and start fishing.

This is all dependent on the server as well. Depending on the talent of the person running the server and whether or not they clear all records/ip's from the server logs or perhaps even have that info encrypted. But if it's encrypted and the gov. asks for it and have a warrant for doing so you could get into as much or more shit if you fail to hand over the password opening up your entire server. Some places claim they don't hold onto any user data but I'm pretty sure they are just referring to cookies, unless they honestly delete the logs every day or have a script that runs by the second constantly deleting any records of users who established a connection the second prior. The resources would make hosting damn near impossible so yeah it really honestly starts with issuing some sort of request approved by a judge, depending on where it's hosted.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited April 2011
    lol they'd get the IPs from me cause I saved pretty much everyone's IPs while I was mod. u mad?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    lol they'd get the IPs from me cause I saved pretty much everyone's IPs while I was mod. u mad?

Not at all, I wasn't here when you were a Mod.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »

Shove those IPs up your ass. Btw what goes around comes around.
  • edited April 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    This is all dependent on the server as well. Depending on the talent of the person running the server and whether or not they clear all records/ip's from the server logs or perhaps even have that info encrypted. But if it's encrypted and the gov. asks for it and have a warrant for doing so you could get into as much or more shit if you fail to hand over the password opening up your entire server. Some places claim they don't hold onto any user data but I'm pretty sure they are just referring to cookies, unless they honestly delete the logs every day or have a script that runs by the second constantly deleting any records of users who established a connection the second prior. The resources would make hosting damn near impossible so yeah it really honestly starts with issuing some sort of request approved by a judge, depending on where it's hosted.

I'm guessing our sysOp isn't anywhere near that bothered by our activities, huh? I mean, do our logs ever get cleared out? I guess if we were all really that paranoid, we'd be browsing through TOR all the time :D

And Fanglekai, dynamic IP's ftw :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm guessing our sysOp isn't anywhere near that bothered by our activities, huh? I mean, do our logs ever get cleared out? I guess if we were all really that paranoid, we'd be browsing through TOR all the time :D

And Fanglekai, dynamic IP's ftw :)

Well, if you guys want I can set a policy for clearing the logs after 24 hours. I think I can do that much easily using Vbulletin and I can set it using SSH with permission from Vineman of course. But it's a possibility. The best bet is to use as many proxies as possible. In this way you will have a flood of IPs and that might narrow your chances.

Plus Dynamic IPs rule.
  • edited April 2011
    I think we should have something set up which removes logs. And I mean, securely removes them from the server. That would be awesome :D Would it conflict with any mod tools though? Like, the IP banning?

I really like this idea though dude. And yeah, proxy servers and all that stuff FTW.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I think we should have something set up which removes logs. And I mean, securely removes them from the server. That would be awesome :D Would it conflict with any mod tools though? Like, the IP banning?

I really like this idea though dude. And yeah, proxy servers and all that stuff FTW.

It's a possibility and it might limit our ability to control future attacks.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I have that same concern, stuff like MA & ban dodging would be very easy.

Edit: Your fast dfg, how do you do it with a connection like yours?

I use my 1337 skills but honestly I just got my ADSL connection fixed today. So, I am getting pretty decent response times, plus I type fast.
  • edited April 2011
    Thinking about it, ban dodging wouldn't be easy. Vbulletin can set IP bans on IP addresses which have caused an offence, and these IP addresses would stay on record. However, if you don't do anything wrong, then perhaps the logs can be deleted.

Another thing I just thought of which might be a problem would be identifying people using multiple accounts... If there's not a log of what IP addresses accounts have been using in the past, then we can't check for multiple account useage. Is there any way around this? Furthermore, why do we even have this multiple account rule in place anyway? It's not hard for someone to just use TOR and make a new account under a different IP address.