Off the grid Internet

SystemicFailureSystemicFailure New Arrival
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
This country has been flushed down the toilet and my family does not plan on staying in the turd bowl. We will be leaving before the chaos ensues this summer.

My question is do you have any recommendations for an "off the grid" ISP or a satellite company that offers internet service.

I have looked into Hughes Net and wildBlue. any recommendations will be appreciated.

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited May 2011
    Define "off the grid" because there is no such thing with regards to the Internet, defeats the whole purpose of how it operates. Are you referring to privacy, setting up your own ISP (still would have to sign leases with major backbone providers to connect to the Internet), or what?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Sat > ISP> VPN/TOR/Proxy > INTERNET?
  • SystemicFailureSystemicFailure New Arrival
    edited May 2011
    We will be relocating to a property that is surrounded by wildlife. The only form of communication we would have is thru the internet.

Not talking about privacy.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Then SAT or Wimax.
    EDIT: Mobile Internet. 3G/4G
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Satellite, wireless or mobile 3G are your only real alternatives. unless you can afford to have a hard line run out to your property, which would be expensive as fuck.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Satellite, wireless or mobile 3G are your only real alternatives. unless you can afford to have a hard line run out to your property, which would be expensive as fuck.

Actually telephone lines are usually free or pretty cheap to have run out to rural property, Been there done that. Power lines and shit are the expensive ones.

And I would have to say just go with a 3g card, look at an acer aspire one they come with 3g built in. Satellite sucks, and as long as you have a cell signal 3g will work. Price is pretty much the same for both.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Actually telephone lines are usually free or pretty cheap to have run out to rural property, Been there done that. Power lines and shit are the expensive ones.

And I would have to say just go with a 3g card, look at an acer aspire one they come with 3g built in. Satellite sucks, and as long as you have a cell signal 3g will work. Price is pretty much the same for both.

I've heard things are cheaper in the US. Here in NZ everything is expensive as all fuck. Here they charge a fuckload to install phone cables. and more so with power. hence the reason why there are a few private contractors now trying to under cut the major power companies, but they are still very expensive. The joys of living in a small country i guess
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    I've heard things are cheaper in the US. Here in NZ everything is expensive as all fuck. Here they charge a fuckload to install phone cables. and more so with power. hence the reason why there are a few private contractors now trying to under cut the major power companies, but they are still very expensive. The joys of living in a small country i guess

Yeah here most phone lines are under ground, so they dig a trench down the main road. set up a junction box, then run the line to the property. Especially if it has other parcels nearby, so they only have to run the main lines once and done.
  • edited May 2011
    Have a look into getting cables installed, but if that's too much or not a possibility then definitely hit the satellites for your internet. My friend has satellite broadband and it's pretty cool, as long as you have a direct shot at the satellite.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited May 2011
    Even if you cant get phonelines all the way to your property you might be able to set up a wireless link from somewhere with a internet connection, maybe pay someone closer to civilisation a little to install a tower with a directional antenna. (or just mount it at a high building)
    This ofc will only work if you have line of sight between the 2 points.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd shy away from anything that gets sent over a phone like, as your 56k dialup and 128k ISDN can easily give you 1.5 and 3kbps actual bandwidth given sufficient distance.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    Lookup radio internet (point-to-point radios).