Help with guitar

SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Can anyone send me songs to play on guitar? I need to like actually read it, and I can't do any chords yet (I'm literally just starting). I can play Ode To Joy lol, it's like only 20 notes long...Ohwell. I'm getting tired of playing it though and my book jumps straight into chords and I don't know what to search for....
HALP!

Comments

• TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Do you read tabs or standard notation?
  • SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
    edited July 2010
    Transience wrote: »
    Do you read tabs or standard notation?

I read....
    I think both O.O
  • mr.bluntmr.blunt Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll tell you this, I don't know a lot - scratch that; I know nothing about guitar. I am pretty musically oriented, I played piano for ever, and sax for years. I know music theory, how to read, etc etc and have a great ear, not to sound like I'm bragging.

I "learned" from a friend of mine who'd been playing for years and years and one day me and him were smoking a joint when he brought up the fact that I'd never played guitar. He grabbed a couple acoustics he had sitting around and asked me what song I'd most want to play. I thought about it for a while and picked Ohio by Neil Young. He thought about it for a bit, then started playing it and I just watched him and tried to emulate it on my guitar. He said I had the best left (fret?? I don't know) hand of any new guitar player he'd seen having played the guitar for a total of three minutes right there. I didn't have the greatest strumming/picking though.

But yeah, I just picked a song that I really liked and because of that it was easy for me to want to practice and play more. I picked that up and then got a couple other songs from him just from watching him play them and giving me some basics and tips. I don't know the notes I'm hitting (well I kind of do by sound, but you know...) and I can't read tabs. I know no terminology. But I can play it.

TL/DR: Just think of songs you like and have good sounding guitar in them, then go google thems shits.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    1) Get guitar pro 5.2 from a torrent
    2) www.ultimate-guitar.com
    3) Search song and search for guitar pro tabs

it has both notes, and guitar number tablature. :cool:
    edited July 2010
    mr.blunt wrote: »
    I'll tell you this, I don't know a lot - scratch that; I know nothing about guitar. I am pretty musically oriented, I played piano for ever, and sax for years. I know music theory, how to read, etc etc and have a great ear, not to sound like I'm bragging.

I "learned" from a friend of mine who'd been playing for years and years and one day me and him were smoking a joint when he brought up the fact that I'd never played guitar. He grabbed a couple acoustics he had sitting around and asked me what song I'd most want to play. I thought about it for a while and picked Ohio by Neil Young. He thought about it for a bit, then started playing it and I just watched him and tried to emulate it on my guitar. He said I had the best left (fret?? I don't know) hand of any new guitar player he'd seen having played the guitar for a total of three minutes right there. I didn't have the greatest strumming/picking though.

But yeah, I just picked a song that I really liked and because of that it was easy for me to want to practice and play more. I picked that up and then got a couple other songs from him just from watching him play them and giving me some basics and tips. I don't know the notes I'm hitting (well I kind of do by sound, but you know...) and I can't read tabs. I know no terminology. But I can play it.

TL/DR: Just think of songs you like and have good sounding guitar in them, then go google thems shits.
    Yea, I wish I could do that :/ I tried and it just didn't click. I'm more musically inclined to wind instruments, I can learn those really quick. But it's different with guitar, piano, etc.
    Nightside wrote: »
    1) Get guitar pro 5.2 from a torrent
    2) www.ultimate-guitar.com
    3) Search song and search for guitar pro tabs

it has both notes, and guitar number tablature. :cool:
    I'm going to try this out but it kind of mindfucked me, maybe I have to search alittle more.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    One good beginners song is Smoke on the Water. It's pretty simple to play.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/deep_purple/smoke_on_the_water_tab.htm

Be sure to learn your chords and scales. Look around more on that site, they have a lot of good info.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I'd say start off learning scales and chords a bit. I started right away trying to learn songs. Still don't really know my scales very well but I've got most of the major chords down right now.

Once you learn all of that start learning more of the technical stuff such as harmonics and what not and just keep practicing.
    edited July 2010
    Guiyz I can't get my midget fingers to play chords :(
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I never used to be able to do all of that either. It just takes practice. Maybe you just need to get a smaller guitar. Like one with a smaller neck. Once you practice it, the reaching becomes much much easier to do.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you play with your fingers or with a pick? Also, when you're learning, make sure to incorporate your pinky finger. I find many guitarists leave the pinky finger out for some reason. Makes things way easiler.
    edited July 2010
    My guitar has a small neck. My hands are just are shortbus qualified.
    And I use my fingers, picks sound weird to me.