ADSL to Proxy to Wifi Router

harot613harot613 Semo-Regulars
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
I saw another thread similar but not exact to what I am
trying to accomplish, and I'm not even sure that thread was solved.
Here goes with my problem :

I currently have a proxy server (privoxy) running wonderfully (win xp) in a wired computer lab in our center. 5 wired computers, behind the proxy.
Now, We want to take this exact proxy, and make it wireless. No problem.
However, I would like to avoid having to instruct each user in how to change their internet browser proxy settings.
Meaning, I would like to have the signal transfered, intercepted, automatically, by the computer or by the router, and the wireless user just connects uses and leaves.
Is this possible?
Any suggestions? I'm open to everything and anything.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    The temperature today is around 107-109F, so I might have some issues understanding the problem.

I currently have a proxy server (privoxy) running wonderfully (win xp) in a wired computer lab in our center.

Okay, so you have a proxy server running at some machine lets call it. Macine A 192.168.1.1

5 wired computers, behind the proxy.

So, basically you have 5 computers connecting to the proxy. I am assuming you're using a router/switch for DHCP.

For the five systems use IP 192.168.1.2-6

Now, We want to take this exact proxy, and make it wireless. No problem.

I am assuming you're connecting a LAN card or just connecting tne network via wireless router.
    So, if you're using a wireless switch then the Network will be the same, if you're using a wireless router than things might be different.

You will need to set a static IP for it. But using as a switch might work as well.

However, I would like to avoid having to instruct each user in how to change their internet browser proxy settings.

How about you just give them a some network file which they run and automatically get the settings.

Meaning, I would like to have the signal transfered, intercepted, automatically, by the computer or by the router, and the wireless user just connects uses and leaves.

For this to work, you will need to set a WEP Open AUTH or use a pre-shared key.

Next we use DHCP for users to connect to the network.

Then we use Wireless Router and set a Static IP.

Is this possible?

It's possible

Any suggestions? I'm open to everything and anything.

If I was doing this, I would try the Auto Configuration
    http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/75

Or use ICS
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Allot DHCP and IP using it and every user will auto connect to my system anyway. Configure your system so, it only uses proxy and everything should work.
  • harot613harot613 Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    I have a friend who's good with a/c units, maybe your's is broken and needs fixing???

I do appreciate the quick reply,
    maybe i'll reiterate what i'm trying to do.

I am trying to make this network as friendly as possible.
    putting up sheets around the campus explaining how to change the browser settings would clash with the philosophy of ease of access.
    I tried the internet sharing but it wasn't sharing the proxy server.
    the server machine has two NIC cards, internet in one, and the proxy in another. ICS did not allow sharing of the proxy NIC. maybe I did something wrong I will double check.
    Yes the wireless router has a static ip. in fact the wifi works perfect if I go in and change the browser settings. that's all fine and dandy.
    I'm just wondering if I can avoid the hassle of the browser settings.
    there must be a way to have a proxy routed through a router and have the router do the port transfer, i'm just not proficient enough to know how,
    therefore have asked the experts on this forum....
    I hope this is more clear?
  • edited June 2011
    Well, I know that the FoxyProxy addon is a quick way of switching between different browser configurations if you need to, but it's by no means automatic.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    harot613 wrote: »
    I have a friend who's good with a/c units, maybe your's is broken and needs fixing???

I do appreciate the quick reply,
    maybe i'll reiterate what i'm trying to do.

I am trying to make this network as friendly as possible.
    putting up sheets around the campus explaining how to change the browser settings would clash with the philosophy of ease of access.
    I tried the internet sharing but it wasn't sharing the proxy server.
    the server machine has two NIC cards, internet in one, and the proxy in another. ICS did not allow sharing of the proxy NIC. maybe I did something wrong I will double check.
    Yes the wireless router has a static ip. in fact the wifi works perfect if I go in and change the browser settings. that's all fine and dandy.
    I'm just wondering if I can avoid the hassle of the browser settings.
    there must be a way to have a proxy routed through a router and have the router do the port transfer, i'm just not proficient enough to know how,
    therefore have asked the experts on this forum....
    I hope this is more clear?

Hmm
    http://www.craigjconsulting.com/setproxy.html

This is pretty old but the methods listed just might work.
  • harot613harot613 Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Well, I know that the FoxyProxy addon is a quick way of switching between different browser configurations if you need to, but it's by no means automatic.

I appreciate the effort, but I'm really looking to have it redirected automatically through the router or some other software on the computer,
    there must be away to have the traffic rerouted automatically, I await patiently (and sadly) for the light...
    I'm glad I've stumbled on to something not so simple.