Work flow, Adobe Premier Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2011 in Life
I am working on freelance for a while, this mainly because I need to earn money to live. I have been doing some video projects and unfortunately all of them are in 1080p.

Having a workflow is important, I have gotten pwned in some bad ways before and it's best you know couple of things before you begin editing or producing.

Always have a dual screen setup. I cannot stress how important this is, although I am using two 17" CRT monitors connected to two GPUs (onboard/PEG) I cannot be productive without them. Using a single screen to work is just asking for problems.

Second, you need a powerful RIG. I am using 4GB, C2D OC'ed to 2.7 Ghz and trust me, I had to close everything down when I am working on things. I can only open one Adobe application at a time. So, 8GB+ with i7core would be a goo start.

Third, Windows 7 64bit. that's it.

Fourth,
1TB HDD with RAID0

So, lets assume that you have a file and it needs to be converted and some effects added to it.

Here is what you must do, open Adobe Premier Pro and import the file in it. Before that, use Mediainfo to get exact details. You will need to enter those in the sequence settings. This is important, do not screw it up.

Once done, remove the audio or cut scenes that you don't require. Once finished. Move this to Adobe After Effects.

Yes, I know it's usually the other way around in most cases but it pays off when you edit your source material before moving to Adobe After Effects.

Once there, import the composition. You must make sure that the format you're using is compatible with the video.

I would recommend H264 mostly because my GPU can offload some workload but if you have tons of space you can try .mov with loseless settings.

Add effects, and if you're using a transparent layer, you MUST use Quicktime .mov file with Animation setting.

Once the file is rendered, it will take 20G+ or more depending on your duration. You move that edited file into Adobe PP, once there add audio, adjust levels, perform corrections, add titles etc.

Once that's done, just use the Make Move button and then press queue. This will open Adobe Media Encoder and it has GPU acceleration in it, you just wait until your scenes gets rendered.

Again, I must stress that you need to know which format to use. If you're making Youtube/Vimeo videos H264 (with ext .mp4) is the best way to go.

I would kill to get 2GB more RAM and a faster processor along with more space. My 4 minute video took 31GB of space when I was moving the file from AAE to APP. You have to keep things loseless until you're doing the final production. It's the only way to maintain top quality.

Comments