Building a sustainable community.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
As not to derail sarahs thread......

Animus and I have been pm'ing, and figured I would make this public, and get some more people in this discussion, I've been meaning to make this thread a few days ago.
Animus wrote:
I want to start my own secluded community out in the wilderness that works entirely independently of modern society. This is not to say we won't have modern technology- electricity and the like will be provided via solar panels, and I intend for the houses to be built mostly underground.
buddha wrote:
Hey how's it going? Regarding this post, what kind of plans you got? I'm just asking because we are shopping for land as we speak, likely in MO. Kind of had a similar idea, and lived at a couple places where they attempted to do this. I will probably be camping out there for a few months during this winter, clearing some land to build on and just generally hanging out and enjoying the wilderness. Always nice to have an extra hand. Was actually planning on making a thread about this yesterday just been busy.
Animus wrote:
Well, essentially I'm planning to experiment with it. I've been reading a few books on underground architecture and related material. I'm actually unsure of if I want to buy land, that's the part that I have no idea what I'm doing, as I haven't looked into it. In the places where I'm considering making this community, the entire place is forest, most of it completely untraveled. If you were to hike for a couple days in one direction, I'm sufficiently convinced that nobody would ever find you, let alone if your structures were built underground. I'm in Southern Ontario right now. How did living in those other places go? I'm not sure about leaving to do it now, as it is I'm 19 and have fuck all in the way of money, or a place to live, or a car. I'm not going to lie though, it is something I would definitely like to try. Again, how did your other experiences work out?
buddha wrote:
Mind if we take this public and I use these PM's to make a thread?
Animus wrote:
Not at all, I'll pm the thread to Chupalo.

I will answer your questions in the next post in a few, kids are going nuts at the moment.

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Animus wrote:
    Well, essentially I'm planning to experiment with it. I've been reading a few books on underground architecture and related material. I'm actually unsure of if I want to buy land, that's the part that I have no idea what I'm doing, as I haven't looked into it.

This I can help you with, what would you like to know?
    Animus wrote:
    In the places where I'm considering making this community, the entire place is forest, most of it completely untraveled. If you were to hike for a couple days in one direction, I'm sufficiently convinced that nobody would ever find you, let alone if your structures were built underground. I'm in Southern Ontario right now.

Where are you considering? You really don't want to be TOO far from anything.
    Animus wrote:
    How did living in those other places go?

The stories. http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/15656-How-not-to-run-a-farm.?p=185915

These guys were both trying to start up communities.
    Animus wrote:
    I'm not sure about leaving to do it now, as it is I'm 19 and have fuck all in the way of money, or a place to live, or a car. I'm not going to lie though, it is something I would definitely like to try. Again, how did your other experiences work out?

Well have you checked out http://www.ic.org/ ? Might find a community to chill at for a while, and get some more ideas about how things work.

Also you can try WWOOOFing, people will give you room and board for a few hours work a day.

And I am looking for someone, mainly just company and to watch my back (working with chainsaws and shit in the middle of no where by yourself isn't a great idea), in November most likely.

Really you don't need anything to do this. You can either find a community to join that shares the same ideals you do, or even better is to find one just starting, everyone could use an extra hand, and teach you as you go.
  • AnimusAnimus Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    This I can help you with, what would you like to know?
    How much does a decent plot of land cost? I assume you'd have to be a citizen of the country you live in to buy it, as well.
    How much are you paying for yours? How much land is it?
    Where are you considering? You really don't want to be TOO far from anything.
    I was thinking British Columbia, or further South, along the West Coast of the U.S., as solar power in B.C. seems to be sweet fuck all. I was thinking around a 2 day hike through wilderness to get to my encampment.
    Well have you checked out http://www.ic.org/ ? Might find a community to chill at for a while, and get some more ideas about how things work.

Also you can try WWOOOFing, people will give you room and board for a few hours work a day.

And I am looking for someone, mainly just company and to watch my back (working with chainsaws and shit in the middle of no where by yourself isn't a great idea), in November most likely.

Really you don't need anything to do this. You can either find a community to join that shares the same ideals you do, or even better is to find one just starting, everyone could use an extra hand, and teach you as you go.

I'll definitely be looking into all of this. Thanks for the help.
    As well, do you have any experience with underground structures?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Animus wrote: »
    How much does a decent plot of land cost? I assume you'd have to be a citizen of the country you live in to buy it, as well.
    How much are you paying for yours? How much land is it?

The price varies depending on the topography, water, location, timber, all kinds of things.
    A lot of countries will let non-citizens buy land, or at least give you a REALLY long lease.
    I will probably either get something so shitty it will be like $2500 outright or something a lot better and end up with 10 years of payments @ between $150 - $300 a month.
    I am looking at everything between 5-20 acres, seems to be the best for what we can afford.
    Animus wrote:
    I was thinking British Columbia, or further South, along the West Coast of the U.S., as solar power in B.C. seems to be sweet fuck all. I was thinking around a 2 day hike through wilderness to get to my encampment.

West coast is a bad idea, you need to find one of the counties that doesn't have building codes and outrageous taxes and shit, land is also suoper expensive in the west caost, look in states like MO, WY, CO, TN.
    2 day hike in also means a 2 day hike out if you need anything or anything happens.

Animus wrote:
    I'll definitely be looking into all of this. Thanks for the help.
    As well, do you have any experience with underground structures?

Not completely underground, but half buried. Got a lot of knowledge and ideas though.
  • AnimusAnimus Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    I will probably either get something so shitty it will be like $2500 outright or something a lot better and end up with 10 years of payments @ between $150 - $300 a month.
    I am looking at everything between 5-20 acres, seems to be the best for what we can afford.
    When you do find out what you're buying, give me the price and acre number, I'm having trouble visualizing it.
    West coast is a bad idea, you need to find one of the counties that doesn't have building codes and outrageous taxes and shit, land is also super expensive in the west caost, look in states like MO, WY, CO, TN.
    Yeah, see, I don't necessarily mean along the coast or anything like that. I'm thinking more of British Columbia in general. As well, paying for land in a place where over 90% of the land is completely untraveled just seems laughable. Why pay when you'll never get found, especially if your settlement is underground?
    2 day hike in also means a 2 day hike out if you need anything or anything happens.
    This is true indeed. What types of problems do you think could occur that would require immediate attention, barring power tools and animal attacks? It seems like anything outright dangerous would result in death, whereas other things, such as a sprained ankle, are entirely manageable.
    Not completely underground, but half buried. Got a lot of knowledge and ideas though.
    Also relevant knowledge, then. I'm talking at least 5 feet of dirt on the roof, though.
    Care to share some of that knowledge or those ideas?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    When you do find out what you're buying, give me the price and acre number, I'm having trouble visualizing it.

An example http://shop.ebay.com/classiccountryland/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Animus wrote:
    Yeah, see, I don't necessarily mean along the coast or anything like that. I'm thinking more of British Columbia in general. As well, paying for land in a place where over 90% of the land is completely untraveled just seems laughable. Why pay when you'll never get found, especially if your settlement is underground?

if you are serious about making it work you will need to own the land, no one will want to invest any sort of time effort or money if there is a chance they can be kicked off at anytime.

Animus wrote:
    This is true indeed. What types of problems do you think could occur that would require immediate attention, barring power tools and animal attacks? It seems like anything outright dangerous would result in death, whereas other things, such as a sprained ankle, are entirely manageable.

Snake bites and things, a small cut that got badly infected, things that would result in death if not treated quickly. No reason to die because you want to be so far out.

Animus wrote:
    Also relevant knowledge, then. I'm talking at least 5 feet of dirt on the roof, though.
    Care to share some of that knowledge or those ideas?

Why so far below ground? You know even bomb shelters are only 3'. I think by going that deep you are just making it a lot harder on yourself. Not just in digging the hole but trying to keep it a hole and not your grave when it all collapses on you.

Sorry it took so long to reply, been pretty busy lately.
  • AnimusAnimus Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Fuck, most of these are like $10,000.
    if you are serious about making it work you will need to own the land, no one will want to invest any sort of time effort or money if there is a chance they can be kicked off at anytime.
    Yes, I suppose. I just don't imagine you'd ever get found out in the wilderness, especially with mostly-concealed houses.
    Snake bites and things, a small cut that got badly infected, things that would result in death if not treated quickly. No reason to die because you want to be so far out.
    Ah, yes, a snake bite. True.
    I feel like if you had an infected cut, and it was clear it wasn't getting better, then you'd have time to get back to civilization. But I do see what you mean.
    Why so far below ground? You know even bomb shelters are only 3'. I think by going that deep you are just making it a lot harder on yourself. Not just in digging the hole but trying to keep it a hole and not your grave when it all collapses on you.
    I suppose 5 feet is a bit much, it's the optimal amount to keep heat constant, though. And I don't imagine I'd have the whole thing underground, I'd build it on a
    Sorry it took so long to reply, been pretty busy lately.
    That's fine.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Fuck, most of these are like $10,000.

Search, there are a lot of different listing for as low as $500, lots of stuff in Canada also.

I just used it as an example because they have low monthly payments, which makes nicer land a bit easier to get if you can make just a couple hundred a month. Also they don't do credit checks.

Animus wrote:
    Yes, I suppose. I just don't imagine you'd ever get found out in the wilderness, especially with mostly-concealed houses.

I assure you, eventually someone would stumble onto you.

Animus wrote:
    Ah, yes, a snake bite. True.
    I feel like if you had an infected cut, and it was clear it wasn't getting better, then you'd have time to get back to civilization. But I do see what you mean.

Well by the time it was obvious it wouldn't be getting better it might all ready be too late, septic infection would keep you from walking out, and a hidden cavity that suddenly turns into a huge fucking abscessed tooth overnight could kill you.

Animus wrote:
    I suppose 5 feet is a bit much, it's the optimal amount to keep heat constant, though. And I don't imagine I'd have the whole thing underground, I'd build it on a

What do you mean by "keep heat constant" and where did you get this info.

Seems your last sentence got cut off also.