Life and Entropy: could they be related?

wfc2023wfc2023 Semo-Regulars
edited October 2011 in Tech & Games
So i was thinking the other day and thought about evolution and life and such, and thought of an idea that seems pretty plausible to me.

Given that the entropy of the universe tends to a maximum, and the universe is constantly increasing in entropy and lower states of energy; the formation of something as complex as intelligent life seems unlikely.

Life, when compared to other things in the universe is highly complex and organized into very specific forms with a low entropy, so it seems like it would be unlikely to evolve. but when one looks at the sum of all processes a life form facilitates in its life i think they would account for a larger change in total entropy of the universe than the simple act of organizing the life forms. If this is true then it is likely for life to evolve according to entropy, because life favors more chaos.\

discuss?

Comments

• 4206942069 Regular
    edited September 2011
    1) ANARCHY!
    2) Measuring entropy in organic organisms? too complex of a system to count total entropy of all processes
    69) numbers
    666) Plants evolved all fucking crazy like, such as being stationary, using no energy to move other than the wind or birds
    5) Evolution ain't organic or towards physics; it's total shit chaos and elite manipulation.
  • DrakeDrake Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    People often forget that the second law of thermodynamics only describes a closed system. When you are looking at the complexity of life on this planet, you cannot forget to take the massive amount of energy that the sun produces into account and include it in the system. Life uses thermodynamically favorable (increase entropy) processes to drive favorable ones (that increase complexity).
  • Thegreatkevin465Thegreatkevin465 Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    I dont know if this helps but...

one of my old chemistry professors said that the meaning of life is to prevent or delay entropy. It is sustaining a high-level of energy/states. Like cleaning your room and keeping it clean. Eventually it will become dirty and disorganized and stay that way.

I see that what you're trying to say is that does life increase the total overall level of entropy in the universe. And that is probably yes if entropy were some type of numerical system but it isn't. It is more like a concept like infinity. But toward moving toward infinity it would probably derive to 0.