Making, saving, and preserving money as well as getting a job at University.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Life
Once again I was asked to make another University-themed guide, and here it is.
This one will focus on money. The thing that drives the world and people to untold levels of motivation, but is helpful in the long run.
Although I never take the "full comprehensiveness" of these guides in, I shall cover every possible way I have experienced and seen of making money - as well as saving money, living at an Academic Institution. Heck, you might even be able to apply them to regular life, not in an Academic Institution.

Contents.
  • Making money - sustination or something else?
  • Getting a job in the Town or City.
  • Getting a job at the University.
  • Other ways of making money.
  • Afterthoughts.

Making money - sustination or something else?
At the end of the day you need to think what you're spending money on and how much. Food? Booze? Going out? Hookers? Seriously though, your main priorities will be
  • Rent.
  • Study aids - textbooks, stationary, etc.
  • Food.
  • Drinks. Both alcoholic and non alcoholic.
  • Going out.
  • Travel.
Prioritising, but not budgeting, is the best way to go. Plenty of smug Fresher wankers will come up with some spreadsheet or similar telling them how much extra cash they have to spend at the end of each week or month. Unfortunately most of these people will fall off the rails and never follow it. The best thing you can do is just to check your bank balance and know how much your halls cost for rent (as can be found in your Housing Regulations PDF file or Handbook).
So it's up to you - but prioritise, and don't overthjink your money issues. Overdrafts are not a good place to land yourself in as you will already have enough of a loan racked up. If your parents give you a bit of cash each month, then that helps too. Mine gave me £25 a month as I didn't eat. Medical conditions FTW. Unfortunately I had no food for anyone that stayed over - so take that into consideration.

Right, onto the fun stuff. Well, "fun".

Getting a job in the Town or City.
Chances are you'll be competing with up to 4,000 smug-faced Student wankers who, ranging from Freshers to desperate, failing Third Years, will be scrambling over one another to score a job at a shop within the City.

The City or Town you're studying in will be a very competitive place full of menial jobs, but it's cash. Jobs are jobs, but if you can narrow your CV or enquiries down to a few target places either in obscure places, a big chain store or on the outskirts of town, that may improve your chances of being hired.
Getting experience is also crucial. I hate to brag but I have never got a job with a CV simply because I can give a rundown of all the work I've done from memory in an interview. Volunteering shows you have a compassionate side that you're willing to share for little or no money.

Experience with respectable firms or establishments also go a long way. For example if you work in a Kitchen, exaggerate somewhat, or at least say you had to serve upwards of 300 people in a day. I had to in an Army Barracks, for all 3 meals, and that alone got me a job offer I wasn't even looking for. Chances are the majority of Students you are competing with have no experience as they are living off the bank of Mummy and Daddy, and never had to spend 5 minutes in a workplace. The key is confidence, not in the amount of paper you throw out. Most CVs handed into shops will be skimmed over and thrown out within the week. A good statistic I heard at University was that a mutual friend had handed out 50 or so CVs and only got 1 call back. If that doesn't stress the competition or laziness of the companies you want to work for, I don't know what will.

A few things you can do to improve yourself, your chances and CV are:
  • Get some Summer experience with jobs or volunteering.
  • Wear something somewhat smart. Most people will wear some shitty hoody and combats, throwing out CVs everywhere.
  • Talking of everywhere, pick a few places that will fit you. There are more than likely some back alley shops you can find that nobody else would, and just think of the money. Mentioning money should not take precedent - your studies should come first. Negotiate hours and come to a compromise.
  • Be upfront. Don't use long words that will make you come across as, yes, a smarmy Student.
  • Make your CV look appealing. Nobody likes the standard A4 white paper look. There are plenty of ways you can improve them, and the Internet is a great resource. Just don't go over the top. A personal flair is good, but bragging about your Media Studies and Art qualifications with a load of stick men and colour overkill isn't.

Getting a job - at the University.

This is probably the most easiest way to get a job. Why? Well because it's stable, works with your timetable, teaches you how an academic institution works and you can be upfront with any difficulties you are having.

Positions include, but aren't limited to:
  • Library.
  • Mentoring First Years (Freshers).
  • Data input.
  • Housing and Security (although quite hard to be Security if you have no qualifications and experience in that field).
  • Bar work.
  • Public Relations/Media.
  • Cleaner.
  • Finance and Accounting.
  • Tech Support. Too many Universities have n00bs working here so that's a good job position. Pretty easy, too.
  • Scribe for disabled Students.

This list isn't totally exhaustive, as there are more depending on your University and Departments. But these should hopefully give you an idea.
For eahch job there will probably be some sort of interview (especially for Mentor, Finance, Bar Work etc) as they are the sort of ones which the University relies heavily on you to do well in.
It helps to have a CV or Resume handy, but put emphasis on the experience you have to get you the job. If you have applied to work in the University Bar, then have you had any experience dealing with the Public, Restaurants, Bars and fast-paced atmospheres before? If Tech Support, then what about your interest and experience in this field? Stress these points in your application.

The best way to find vacancies is to either check your University Intranet (you will see more details during Freshers Week, when the rush for jobs will begin. Failing that, enquire within the Departments. Be confident - I'd hire someone if they came up to me and spoke rather than send a poncey email, but either route is good.

The pay is into a bank account, so having a Debit card helps as you'll have a deposit into the account and receipt at the end of each month (or whenever your University has told you). Like I said, keep check of your money. Remember you have rent, food and other bits to pay for.

Other ways of making money.

This section is about ways to get by, but not necessarily survive. I will not go into as much depth here as I either have little experience here or these methods do not work for a sustained period.

If you are having money issues most, if not all Universities, have a "hardship fund" whereby they give Single Mothers, Working Class Students and those who can't manage their money some relief. No, not in the form of a condom, boiler suit or a calculator, but money. It's a good place to go to if you cannot afford rent, or are having other financial difficulties. That said, your University will more than likely want to see what you have spent cash on via bank statements. So bear that in mind.

Dealing drugs or contraband is the obvious thought in this section. It works for some, but not for others. Chances are you're under enough stress at Uni so the added worry of getting busted may not help.
That said, the income can be a good return depending on how much you shift per week, and what. American Students will pay a ton for drugs as they have the cash to come over and stay. Others will be a steady income. If you have a Medical Exemption certificate so you get Medication free, you may look at selling some to make quick cash. It's just selling what and how much that you decide.
Like I said, I'm not an expert on this subject.

Cash in hand jobs are a godsend. The odd bit of work for people either in a kitchen or as a service helps if you are in need of £15-£20 or so. Just walk around and offer your help to shops or people that may need "an extra hand". Say you need some cash and are willing to help out with their work, depending on your situation state, you may say yes.

Doing favours for mates may not pay you in money, but can get you some free food or other bits. Like I said in another guide, University is not all about money as opposed to communal help. Some people will also help you out if you are in dire need of food or whatever. Seems like this list has gone down in desperation.

Afterthoughts.
Money can be sought in many places, but you overlook it. Doing favours, being sly and learning to spot a bargain also helps. There are ways of saving money such as Charity Shops, home delivery shopping in groups with Housemates and doing favours for people. Being paid in kind (goods as opposed to money) is just as good, because in the end it saves you money.

Banks suck if you have an overdraft, because it seems to dupe you into thinking you have an extra £1,000 than you do - so I cannot say it enough, that you should stay the fuck away from them. Never get into the red. You're becoming an Adult now (University to me was a halfway house) and so you don't want to leave with even more debt than you already have.

Torrenting helps you save money on books, as 6 times out of 10, you can find a book or Journals you need without having to shell out up to £80. Yes, £80, that you can save. Many Lecturers like you to buy their books, not just to give them money and boost their literature-penis, but to help you "get on with the course". Simply put, you can save cash by buying books from sites such as Amazon, AbeBooks and a few others buy getting second-hand ones. The few bends and second-handedness will save you a shitload of cash. In fact, if you can get anything cheaper or for free, then fucking do it. Keep your eyes open.
V 1.0
31/8/2011

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Money saved is money earned - but only if you have income to begin with.

Being frugal is all part of student life - but so is understanding the amount of free time you have to play with.

Watch the stock market and make moves onside the trend, pick up $20 here and there. Its fantastic.

Target your industry. Find businesses that arent advertising for jobs but are clearly doing things - make some phone calls and talk to people who work there. If you aint slick on phones or able to talk the talk then your fucked - but if you can get yourself in there for some work experience/part time etc.

I got a sick ass job working part time making 2x as much money as i was making doing barwork because i managed to wedge myself into a gap there.

If your doing a media degree register yourself a business and go around offering to set up social media management for small businesses in town, give them a facebook, twitter etc etc. Charge 2 grand a quarter for full maintence. once you get 6 businesses you'll be in great shape and if you can visit totse you can run this business.

Just fucking hunt opportunity man, success doesnt have so much to do with luck - it comes from making your own luck through perserverance, hard work and dedication to your life.
  • edited September 2011
    Hard work and perserverence eh? That does sound about right, and I guess it all comes down to how much you want the job. If you're willing to chase them down and do everything you can to get a job, you're much more likely to get one.
  • edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Hard work and perserverence eh? That does sound about right, and I guess it all comes down to how much you want the job. If you're willing to chase them down and do everything you can to get a job, you're much more likely to get one.

Also dont do what donny dont does.

Whatever the majority of people are doing is the wrong way to go about things. Do something contrarian and innovative. Get noticed.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    Honestly this guide looks good on paper, but in the real world, it's harder than it looks.

Assuming you are targeting average people, i bet if everyone on totse went to a university, EVERYONE would be in debt. Loans were already made to cover tuition, (which is almost an illegal fee(fun fact)) and you are expecting people to trade in hours per dollar?? at a "stable" job? What is a stable job to you if the ceo controls wither you stay or leave in the end?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    This isn't for after Uni, it's for the 3 or 4 years you are in the Academic land for. It's not hard to hold a job down for a few years and isn't hard to compete with the thousands of other idiots who apply for jobs and don't understand why they get it.
    For after Uni, I have no idea. Just a case of dog eat dog. Plus if I came up with a guide to life, I'd be a millionaire.
  • edited September 2011
    I guess the answer to success after University is to be unique, be different and set your bars as high as possible. University gives you experience and a certificate which other people who haven't attended higher education won't have. Use this to your advantage.
    edited September 2011
    I guess the answer to success after University is to be unique, be different and set your bars as high as possible. University gives you experience and a certificate which other people who haven't attended higher education won't have. Use this to your advantage.

Truedat. The amount of Post-Graduates who have the charisma of a toenail clipping are too many. It's not too hard to get a job (he says) but all the Post-Grads I've worked with every Summer since the age of 15, I was pretty appaled at how stupid they were when it came to real life. Kinda reminded me of "Young, Dumb and Living off Mum" :facepalm:
  • edited September 2011
    ^ LOL, I've watched that program before and I know exactly what you mean. You've got to "get it" when it comes to living if you want to survive in the real world. Isn't University meant to teach you all the life skills you need though, assuming you don't already know them?
    edited September 2011
    ^ LOL, I've watched that program before and I know exactly what you mean. You've got to "get it" when it comes to living if you want to survive in the real world. Isn't University meant to teach you all the life skills you need though, assuming you don't already know them?

Heh, nobody has all the answers, but like many say "common sense isn't that common". All you can do is read, live and reflect. As for that program I was watching a few minutes of it the other day when they tried to hoover up and then blow some bean bag filling balls around the house and as I stormed out of the room I said "I know a good idea, why not set them on fire and stay in the house for as long as possible? 2 birds and 1 stone anyone?".