Getting members... the right way

xianxian Semo-Regulars
edited October 2011 in Help and Suggestions
As we all know, zoklet pretty much failed in gaining members, and therefore failed to become what totse once was. I see this site as a fresh start (I LIEK IT LOZ). ITT we brainstorm ways to get the type of members we want.

- should we be afraid to link on other forums? I feel if said forum is similar enough to the totse ideal, we should at least give them the opportunity to check this place out. Who knows, maybe some old totseans who moved on might come around.

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    I could make a link on a few other websites I go to, along with adding it as a tag in online games I play (Soldat and Sauerbraten/Cube II). Might get a few members from that, actually...I've been raping at Sauerbraten lately (first place with 80 kills, second place had 61 :D).

There's a lot of places to advertise, actually...Hmm...could probably get a few of my friends to join as well.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
    make a viral video
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited July 2010
    Public stunts near/around your school or in very busy places.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    Think about it, the original totse was around for 20 YEARS. There have to be at least a few people somewhere on the 10s of millions of websites an the internet wishing it was still around/ thinking about rejoining it.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Spread the word.
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait for it, don't start actively advertising it yet.

I'd say we need to add some meat to this place first. With a marketing campaign like that, we only really get one shot, better make it matter.

In general, I don't think there is a problem advertising absolutely everywhere. Why? Because it is the influx of people that is important. The place itself will weed the close-minded ones out, like it has always done.
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Think about it, the original totse was around for 20 YEARS. There have to be at least a few people somewhere on the 10s of millions of websites an the internet wishing it was still around/ thinking about rejoining it.

It would've been 21 this May.

http://www.box.net/shared/chzpha8dlv
  • edited July 2010
    I have already invited about 8 people. I plan to recruit more known users from Zoklet, and after that I want to lurk their introductions forum and steal their new members. Beyond that, I plan to visit all the totse clones and recruit any members I recognize there. That includes, trp, tdd, totse 2, and I might possibly hunt around in some IRC channels.

Although I do somewhat agree with Agent 008. It is a good idea to not only wait to make the site look more desirable, but also because we need to decide what we're all about, how to run the site, and who's going to mod what. It'll be a lot easier to figure those things out if there's only this many of us. Further more, I'm assuming the site will grow immensely in the next week or so. With that kind of increase, we won't have to worry about new members for a little bit.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    Agent 008 wrote: »
    Wait for it, don't start actively advertising it yet.

I'd say we need to add some meat to this place first. With a marketing campaign like that, we only really get one shot, better make it matter.

In general, I don't think there is a problem advertising absolutely everywhere. Why? Because it is the influx of people that is important. The place itself will weed the close-minded ones out, like it has always done.

This. If people come to it now it looks like some new, boring, half-ass site. We need to get it sufficiently built up first.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    Graffiti all over your city? oh my god. That is an awesome idea.
  • edited October 2011
    The right way doesnt involve advertising.

How did you find totse in the first place?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Good stuff mate, glad to have you aboard.