Top Ten Things to Do after Installing Linux

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited October 2011 in Tech & Games
Linux is well known for it's customization. It's well know for its rock-solid stability and it's wide array of power-users apps. Most Linux distros cater for the lowest common denominator, this leaves out a lot of stuff. Non of this stuff is distro-specific.

Here's my top ten list of things every linux user should have.

1) tmux - a screen multiplexer.

This is one helluva tool. This program lets you split your console into panes and even lets you share the same session. It's pretty obvious why this can be useful. It can be setup to launch every time you open up a terminal or log into a console.

tmux5.png

2) uvesafb - a framebuffer.

This puts graphics on your console. Some of you might be wondering why this would be useful, i'll tell you: couple this with tmux and you have distraction free creative zen. Just look:

tty-fbterm-dvtm-mplayer.png

3) vim - a text editor.

I'll tell you a secret: Even the most hardcore Emacs user hates Emacs. Just check out their irc channel. Vim is what god used when creating the universe. learn this gem and reap the benefits for life. With a crap tonne of plugins and extensions, you'll definitely end up loving vim

kY9ix.png

4) Irssi - an irc client.

This is how irc was meant to be, it's simply raw communication. No bells and whistles just pure ascii. Run this baby in the corner of your screen, while you're working and enjoy the company of the global community.
check out our irc channel at irc.totse.info #totse and for a more noisy chan check out #reddit over at irc.undernet.org

madcow.png

5) Alpine - A mail and news reader.

This is the greatest mail reader I've ever used. I generally hate all mail readers and use webmail - but this is the exception. I've never seen a graphical client that can surpass the elegance of Alpine. It's simply one of those tools that you set up once and it'll work forever - that's more than you can say for thunderbird/evolution. You'll simply forget you're in a console.

FqoEn.png

Now for some graphical apps

6) xxxterm - a simple web browser.

In the spirit of dillo, only better and based on Webkit. Due to the explosion of the mobile browser, these simpler desktop browsers have become much more useful (As mobile sites cater for low end phones) and provide distraction free, secure (no js) surfing.

yX6Q0.png

7) Bluefish - a web editor.

This is basically a syntax highlighting text editor. It has a nice auto-completer that doesn't get in your way and a whole bunch of other web-devvy stuff. Everyone who uses this loves it (it's a bit like me in that regard :) )

c-block-folding-autocomp-spellcheck-bookmarks.png

8) wxMaxima - a math packaged.

MATLAB is overkill most of the time. If you're like me and want to plot and manipulate a few expressions - wxMaxima is simple and effective tool for the job. Probably a niche tool, but at about ~30meg, why not have it around?

wxmaxima.png

9) gpodder - A podcast manager.

This app is definitely an example of the unix way of doing things: one thing and nothing else. This tool will let you download and update podcast feeds and that's it. compare that to the bloat that is itunes. It even has a rudimentary online feed sync at gpodder.net

gpodder.png

10) gparted - A partition manager.

This is the swiss army knife of partitions. Any file system any medium, it can do it. What else is there to say?

gparted_1_big.jpg

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I've gotta say, I didn't know about a lot of this stuff but I can definitely see why it would be useful. LOVING the IRC client though. No bells and whistles? Sounds awesome :D Up until I read this thread, I've been using Xchat. I also should try vim out, I've been using Emacs but I find it just gets annoying.

Thanks for the awesome post :)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Absolutely awesome post. I'm a Linux dabbler, so this sort of thing teaches me 10 things in the space of a day as opposed to 1.

:thumbsup: