question on aaa batteries and usb power

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited November 2011 in Tech & Games
i have a littl light thing that takes 3 aaa batteries which needs about 4.5 volts to light up
can i splice it on the red and black wires in a usb cord which i believe is 5v with out a problem and is there some where on the psu i can splice it on since fans can run on molex
the light thingy is kind like something you put in a pumkin it has 3 leds that chang colors
i want it in my pc case i already have 2 internal usb ports

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    On a 4 pin USB connection pin 1 should be the 5v positive lead and pin 4 should be the ground.

Pin
    one side

Signal
    Description
    Pin
    other side

USB Vcc (Vbus)
    usually RED, wire should be 20-28 AWG

USB Data -
    usually WHITE, wire should be 28 AWG

USB Data +
    usually GREEN, wire should be 28 AWG

GND
    usually BLACK, wire should be 20-28 AWG

• white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    i know this im asking if you think it would work or would it burn out the leds

how many volts come out of a molex connector
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    .5 extra volts DC might decrease the life span of the LEDs but I doubt it would cook them right off if that is what you are asking.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    LEDS last forever. .5 is well within the tolerance level of those things.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Voltage has very little to do with LED's. Its high current flow through the device that will damage them. You can run them on 230 volts with an appropriate series resistor if you really wanted to but with running it on .5 of a volt more than usual, it shouldn't make any real difference.
    how many volts come out of a molex connector

5 volts from red to black and 12 volts from yellow to black. Yellow and red are positive.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Well, everyone pretty much answered everything. Avoid shorting the wires while playing with things.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    i got it working

if any one wants to add led light in there pc case i sugest buying a cheap little circle light thing that fits in a pumpkin ect

the led are brighter then they were on full batteries i screwed it in the floor of my case the lights shine out threw the mesh and make a huge bright mesh shaped desien on the wall and ceiling the leds were red blue and green

the red realy dosent lookright with the blue smoke led fan thats in there

looked kinda like this

35472.jpg?is=365,365,0xffffff