Feature: Text files

Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
edited July 2010 in Help and Suggestions
Text files are perhaps the most important aspect of Totse:

1). More often than not, they are the first stop for new arrivals.
2). They define this place. They are what makes Totse different from millions of other BBS'.

I believe that at least part of the reason why Zoklet failed, is that after 2 years, Zoklet failed to achieve a text file section akin to the one that Totse had.

So what are these criteria? In my opinion they are as follows:

The text files themselves should look "official".
What we don't want, is for the text file section to look like a Wiki that anyone can edit, like some old collection that is not being updated anymore, or like some kid's personal website where the text files don't matter, and ANYTHING can get accepted instantly.

I don't know about you, but submitting a text file to Totse, having it reviewed by Jeff and then having it appear on the main page was an experience in itself. It felt kinda like being published in a serious magazine, a wholly different experience from just making a thread on the boards.

Hence:

1). The process of submitting a text file should be clear, yet not TOO clear (like we're desperate). A simple form akin to the one that Totse had would be perfect. As I said, Totse should be a serious place where "alternative" text files are published. Anyone who comes here should know that this is &totse, that we are not just some kids fucking around... Until they stumble on SG in the community, of course.

2). A board of reviewers should then review the text. This process can take anywhere up to a week. The reviewers should not be explicitly stated, to give the whole process more credibility. You don't want people to think it's being reviewed by someone who's posting "huff raid murder/suicide" on the forums.

Which brings us to another point - as an homage to our traditions, I'd say it would be better if the admin used a second account to make normal posts in the forums. Keep the figure respectful, non-intervening and very credible. That's up to him, of course.

Once again, there a million BBS' out there, but there are very few serious places with a rich history where text files can be read and published. That's Totse's claim to fame, reason for existence. The community is, of course, insanely important, but in the big scale of things, the community is an off-shoot, a product of the text files.

Let's learn from the mistakes of Zoklet and try not to make them again.

Comments