ALRIGHT. We need a better server.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited August 2010 in Help and Suggestions
This account suspended shit will scare away new users. Also, I am assuming Visitor messages and albums are gone to reduce server loads.

Now Operation: FUCK YOUR WALL will be pointless, as a sudden influx of users WILL take down this site.

Our options are;
Donate computer parts to Hellish for him to build a server. Anything will do at this point. Even a Pentium 4 with a Raid array will do. It's better than what we got. He will have to get something like FiOS with a static IP. With self hosting, Totse NEVER has to worry about violating rules.

Rent a server at altushost for $60 a month. This will only work if there is a constant flow of CASH Donations, or we fuck up the site with a shit-ton of advertisements.

Either way, TOTSE can not get much bigger than it is right now.

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    They're "workin' on it!"

0.jpg
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Already way ahead of you. Here is the post form Developer Forum [New/Hidden] and it details the road map.
    Unlike other projects Totse is a MEGA project and we're only a small community at this point. But we have dedicated users here and I think we can work it out.

Currently we're following a universally understood road map. Bring traffic to Totse forums and restore the articles. But I think we need to define our goals and schedule things.

Here is what I have planned:
    Forums
    CMS

Forums:

Vbulletin 4: [We have the licence btw]
    When we're suspended I did a little research and it seems Vbulletin 4 is a rip off and we can't upgrade to it. Also, we can't migrate our stylesheets to Vbulletin 4 because it uses a totally new [fail] styling system which is bitch to work with. But we do own the license and we can upgrade to it. I think we should work on the styling if we ever upgrade.

IPS3:
    IPS3+ is a great forum software and after reading tons fo blogs and forums, I think IPS3 can solve all our problems. It does cost less and it's pretty awesome.

However, it doesn't have active modding community and we need to redo the styling. Something we aren't that good at. Also, we would need to use IPS Content 2 for CMS.

Vbulletin 3.8 [Current]:
    The current version is pretty stable and it has tons of mods available. We can easily modify this version and since we already own the license we don't need to work on anything. [Also we have VB4 forum license]

CMS:
    Vbulletin 4:
    It's been 2 years and Vbull CMS is shit, it's full of bugs and again it's expensive. We have forum license not the CMS and it cost $250. So, no.

IPS Content 2:

One of the most powerful CMS available, it doesn't cost much but it can easily handle anything we thought at it. But it's not free and we still need some support regarding it.

WordPress:
    Open Source and customizable. Many users know how to use and it can be scripted into converting the text files into most. With WordPress SEO plugin we would be pwning Google page ranks and search results.

Cost:
    A) Vbulletin 4 (CMS) + Current Host [CMS will cost money]
    B) IPS + Content 2 N/A + Current Host [Will cost money]
    C) Vbulletin 3.8 + Wordpress + New powerful host [hosting money]

A and B require extra funds for the software and we don't have to worry about hosting.

Option C only requires some funds for better hosting and we could have a free solution.

Planning:
    I already covered the forum section. It's running in good condition and I tweaked it to perform faster and use less resources. There is still room for improvement and I will do my best to keep it running.

We actually don't have any control over the host and we don't know which process is using what resources, we're on a shared hosting and this is one of the major drawbacks of it. So, we might see future suspended messages if I try to expand the forum in anyway.

We need some coders and developers and users willing to contribute sometime in bring back the archives. We're going to use WordPress and it will use a DB system which means more processing power is required. I don't think our current host can handle a powerful forum + WordPress at the same time. But we can still strip the forum down and work on WordPress.

I propose we use a test server, someone can give us some hosting space and then we can work on WordPress and the article system. We will call it our test server. Once we fix the WordPress issue we're going to migrate the content back to the main site and tweak things here and there. By this time we would be using a powerful hosting package [hopefully].

Hellish and me will have Admin access on WordPress and the developers will have access as well [referring to final product not the test site] and we will have a team of editors who will publish articles using WordPress interface. Both Vbulletin and WordPress will be separate. In this way we won't have any conflicts.

TL;DR:

• Vbulletin 3.8 + Wordpress + New powerful host
    • Team of developers
    • CSS/HTML coders
    • A new test server for WordPress.
    • Automated migration of Totse articles into WordPress.
    • Fixing of main page and other totse related pages.

Links:

IPS http://community.invisionpower.com/
    Vbulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited August 2010
    it will work out. We shall figure it out. Your mom has a snout.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well hellish can have a few Ethernet cards if he wants to self-host.