Campfire cooking

edited August 2010 in Life
I was out with some friends the other day in the middle of nowhere, sleeping in a tent etc. We decided to go grab some firewood, make a fire and cook burgers and sausages on it. We had nothing to eat with, so we sharpened sticks, burned them a little to clean them, and stabbed them through the food.

After they had actually cooked, shit was so cash. Tasted great!

Anyone else experienced this way of cooking?

Comments

• MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I was out with some friends the other day in the middle of nowhere, sleeping in a tent etc. We decided to go grab some firewood, make a fire and cook burgers and sausages on it. We had nothing to eat with, so we sharpened sticks, burned them a little to clean them, and stabbed them through the food.

After they had actually cooked, shit was so cash. Tasted great!

Anyone else experienced this way of cooking?

Alright, here's a bomb idea. Get a nice thin stick and sharpen it like you're going to roast a marshmellow, then burn it like you said to clean it if you wish. Now, put cut up chunks of onions, green peppers, Mushrooms, some steak, whatever else you want on your shish-ka-bob. If you have a grill you can just lay them on that, if not make sure the stick is long enough to hold over the flame.

Also, pots are good for boiling water if you wanna make rice or something.dunno how you would eat the rice unless you just ate it out of the pot after it cooled down. Make some wooden cups out of wood. Increase your wood carving level to at least 5 first of course. Could work? Might have to cut down a tree for good wood. What's your axe cutting skill level at?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    When I was in boy scouts we would take whatever we wanted to cook (steak, a potato or in my case a beef and vegetable medley) wrap it in tin foil and toss it into the fire. It cooks itself and is hard to burn this way. I prefer the direct flame method though because of the char taste you get.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Campfire cooking is great, the fire gives it that extra burnish flavour. Once we decided to make soup, but we forgot to bring salt, so we threw in a bunch of Cheetos :o

It tasted quite nice.
  • edited August 2010
    When I was in boy scouts we would take whatever we wanted to cook (steak, a potato or in my case a beef and vegetable medley) wrap it in tin foil and toss it into the fire. It cooks itself and is hard to burn this way. I prefer the direct flame method though because of the char taste you get.

I love the smokey chargrilled taste you get when cooking on a fire :D Makes it taste brilliant.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    i like the char, but hate the ash.

cast iron pan for me
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    cast iron pan for me

Cooking over a campfire is awsome, everything tastes soo much better.
    A cast iron pan is great for it, i think it helps even out the temperatures that can change quite alot from one side of the fire to another.

Also cooking fish in tinfoil on the coals gives really nice and juicy fish that tastes great.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    Agreed....campfire cooking is teh shit!
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I did this in boy scouts all the time. I loved campfire cooking.