Video Capturing using Capture Card [RCA etc]

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2010 in Life
winavi.JPG

I recorded some videos using Sony DCR HandyCam and since my system doesn't have a DV port and Windows 7 doesn't support USB Live Video Streaming [Sony Drivers]. I had only one option. Use my TV Turner card and record the video using it.

Now, I usually have tons of Video editing softwares lying around but I didn't want to install Adobe or Song Vegas just to make the tape digital. My plan was to record the video off the card and then use Windows Live Move Maker and edit the video. The process would be cheap and acceptable. If my system had a DV port I could just use Windows Live Movie Maker but it didn't.

I Googled and tried some very fancy yet free softwares. The first problem was my capturing card. The driver didn't work. I updated it and then it started working again, After that I tried using VLC.

VLC

In VLC, I just used the streaming wizard and dumped the file. For some reason the quality was bad and I couldn't use other codecs. I did two or three tests and decided to give up. I did get the video and everything worked fine but quality wasn't good.

VirtualDub

If I had tons of HDD space, this would have been the best solution. I used a Xvid codec and ran two or three recording tests. The video was awesome but the Audio was fast. It didn't sync up. I tried changing the codecs but it didn't work.

I installed Klite Codec Pack and it messed VirtualDub. Now it doesn't start.

Final Hope

I did some more Googling and this time, I found a software which works. It's free and it does what I want. Captures videos from my card and can tune channels as well.

The software is called WinAVI Capture. You can download it from here.

It works on Windows 7 and unlike the above mentioned tools, its super simple and anyone can use it. Plus, it makes DVDs directly.

So, if you're looking for a capturing software, which is free and can record videos without all the fancy stuff. Try WinAvi Capture.

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to test out my Capture Card that I picked up a couple months back. I used to be into Audio/Video big time but stopped because of how complicated a simple task (you'd think) can end up becoming. Usually audio is never a problem whenever you are dealing with it mixed with video, usually it's trying to keep the video from going to shit. The only thing that fails when converting or capturing audio from a DVD Source, DV, or TV is getting it to sync up correctly. Hardly ever does it sync up perfect the first time which is why most serious audiophiles and videophiles prefer manual software instead of that "One-Click bullshit" as they say.

I've tried about a dozen "One-Click" software and can testify they are all shit, some work better than others and some manage to sync up and output excellent quality in the size you want, other times they fail horribly. The reason I gave up a couple of years ago was the syncing issue. It can be time consuming and a real bitch and in extreme cases it would be faster to just re-rip, convert, or stream and hope for a closer result than trying to fix it.

I think I'm going to definitely play with it quite a bit more once this week is over and finals are done and over with. I'm starting to lose my knowledge and skill now that Bluray hit and introduced an ass load of features and terms into the mix.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    I'm going to test out my Capture Card that I picked up a couple months back. I used to be into Audio/Video big time but stopped because of how complicated a simple task (you'd think) can end up becoming. Usually audio is never a problem whenever you are dealing with it mixed with video, usually it's trying to keep the video from going to shit. The only thing that fails when converting or capturing audio from a DVD Source, DV, or TV is getting it to sync up correctly. Hardly ever does it sync up perfect the first time which is why most serious audiophiles and videophiles prefer manual software instead of that "One-Click bullshit" as they say.

I've tried about a dozen "One-Click" software and can testify they are all shit, some work better than others and some manage to sync up and output excellent quality in the size you want, other times they fail horribly. The reason I gave up a couple of years ago was the syncing issue. It can be time consuming and a real bitch and in extreme cases it would be faster to just re-rip, convert, or stream and hope for a closer result than trying to fix it.

I think I'm going to definitely play with it quite a bit more once this week is over and finals are done and over with. I'm starting to lose my knowledge and skill now that Bluray hit and introduced an ass load of features and terms into the mix.

Man, I know what you're feeling. It's just too much work for something minor. I don't have problem ripping DVD etc. But Video Capturing always has the sync issues. In future I am just going to use the default settings and then rip the DVD output to some better format.