War ships @ Danish Navy 500 anniversery /w pics

EbolaEbola Acolyte
edited September 2010 in Man Cave
In these days the Danish Navy is celebrating it´s 500 year anniversery as an institution making it the oldest navy in he World. To honour this several war ships will be and are visiting over the days. I went to the docks in my lunch break and saw a few:

DSCF0593.jpg
The aft of L16 Absalon Flexible Support ship with stealth and NBC. The doors lead to the "flex" deck that can be used to depoly combat swimmers, boats or even transport a MBT. Has served as command ship in Taskforce 150 and SNMG1

DSCF0591.jpg
Here again L16 Absalon. Note the 35 mm Oerlikon Millennium CIWS. This type of ship is the only one currently to employ the "Millennium".

DSCF0590.jpg
Here a view in between L16 Absalon and the Italian school ship "Amerigo Vespucci". In the background the two Swedish stealth corvettes K32 Helsingborg and K33 Härnösand are arriving and docked in the far back is the Swedish submarine rescue ship A213 Belos III.

DSCF0613.jpg
The Danish school ship Georg Stage arriving.

DSCF0617.jpg
German Fast Attack Craft P6130 Hyäne, German Minehunter M1059 Weilheim and in the back is the German Frigate F207 Bremen and the British Patrol ship P281 Tyne with the Swedish Submarine Rescue Ship to the far right.

DSCF0618.jpg
The old Danish frigate F352 Peder Skram (now decommisioned and museum ship), the German Minehunter M1061 Rottweil built from non-magnetic steel in front of the 16th century mast crane, two smaller patrol boats and a bit of the Belgian M917 Crocus Minehunter.

DSCF0623.jpg
One of the more "unconventional" ships: the 102 Kaliningrad Landing Ship. It can beach and land up to 450 tonnes of cargo e.g. 25 APCs or 13 MBTs with 225 troops.

DSCF0625.jpg
The stern doors of the 102 Kaliningrad. Note the guard on the aft deck.

DSCF0626.jpg
102 Kaliningrad

DSCF0616.jpg
And a bit closer to the Swedish Stealth Corvette K32 Helsingborg

DSCF0615.jpg
And here the nozzles of the K33 Härnösand. These things push the ship to 40 knots (while still being highly manouverable! They were also well guarded.

DSCF0614.jpg
Front view of the K33 Härnösand. Note the stealth main turret with "gun port" closed. The Danish Inspection Ship F357 Thetis in the back.

DSCF061a.jpg
And finally a stern but friendly Swedish guard on the aft deck of one of the Visby-class ships. Anyone know what weapon he is carrying?

Comments

• stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    great photos ! shame about the dull weather though
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome photos. That K33 Härnösand, is crazy lookin. In a good way.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice pictures. I've always loved looking at warships. If I ever get rich, I hope to own one for private use, even if it is deweaponised :p
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If I ever get rich, I hope to own one for private use

Rich? Think multi-billionaire. Unless you're talking about a very small patrol boat, you're looking at twenty million for a thirty year old small warship, and a lot of competition. Navy ships are used for a couple decades at least. Because their hulls are so thickly armored it doesn't matter if they've lost an inch in hull thickness trough rust. The main engines are built to last, and all the weaponry, nautical instruments and electronics systems are usually upgraded several times troughout their lifetime. Once they finally do get tired of them, the navies sell their warships to less developed / less wealthy nations for anything from 10 to 100 million depending on its age, size, type and weapon systems, and once they're done using it they sell 'em to third world countries or melt 'em. The scrap metal value alone is amazing.

But buying one is nothing, keeping it maintained and seaworthy is where the real cost lies. Seriously, you're better off just buying a gigantic yacht, that's cool too and it's probably a lot cheaper to keep it running.

Off course, as this is not bad ideas, this is in all probability hypothetical. However, if you do manage to become rich enough and buy a warship, I am going to be sooooo jealous.

To the OP: nice pics. Nice ships. Now that's a modern navy, nothing like our heap of rusty sloops.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeh, of course the costs will be astronomical. But if I have the funds to own one, I will :D
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited September 2010
    Love the Visby Class Corvette!