Moving out at 18...

The GeneralThe General Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I turn 18 in 8 months and don't want to live in the presence of my parents anymore. Things get rougher and rougher every day and I honestly feel I could be much happier on my own even if I had to work my butt off after school to be able to afford it. For some of you non college goers how much did it cost you when you first moved out of your parents house? How did you cover yourself with medical insurance? I want to totally be detached from my parents and not be dependent on them at all.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't done it myself, but I know I couple guys who moved out right after high school with no parental assistance. They were back sucking their mommy's nipples in half a year :o
  • edited August 2010
    I moved out at 18, 3 months after graduating highschool. It was definitely a good learning experience, and I got a lot of "life experience" out of it. I lost my job right before my lease went up and I had to move back in with my folks for a while, but I'm back out on my own in a nice one bedroom apartment. Feels good, man.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is, if you get a roommate, to choose them well. Living with someone can quickly destroy an friendship, and if that happens you're still stuck living with them. If you can afford it, live alone. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it IMO.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I moved out 3 months after graduating high school. Moved away to college, only go back home a few times a year for holidays. I managed with student loans.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited August 2010
    I got a friend who's clean and wants to move out also at 18. He isn't the most sociable person but he's a cheap jew like me who's saved a few thousand dollars and wants to move out. I think we could do well together. I also have friends who's parents might let me rent a room out from their parents for like 100 bucks a month plus cutting their grass and doing other stuff like that. That would be the ultimate deal.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Getting your own place and a job would be the ultimate deal. You should be able to live on minimum wage.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    Social security + part time job (or) sell weed.