Pruning my spider plant

edited September 2010 in Life
I have a spider plant sitting in the corner of my room, and every so often some of the leaves die. I read on the internet that you should prune them, but I have no idea why (I'm a plant noob).

Why should I prune my plant? What does it actually do?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Spider plants grow and reproduce quite quickly, so the nutrients you're giving it might not be enough. Pruning will keep the growth at stable levels.
  • edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I have a spider plant sitting in the corner of my room, and every so often some of the leaves die. I read on the internet that you should prune them, but I have no idea why (I'm a plant noob).

Why should I prune my plant? What does it actually do?

Unless you notice a pest or some sort of symptom to signify affliction by another organism, leaf death usually occurs in association with senescence and nutrient deficiency.

The solution would be to first leach the soil of all nutrient salts, preferably re-pot a size up, and fertilize with 1/2 - 3/4 strength houseplant fertilizer solution.

Spider Plant Production Guide
  • edited September 2010
    I think I might have been overwatering it. I waited till it dried out a little, then gave it a nice amount of water. I also removed the dead leaves, and it's looking really healthy again :D