Use Chopsticks

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
chopsticks_use_YvesPiguet.gif

Chopsticks are the tool for East Asian dining. If you go into a Chinese restaraunt and ask for a fork, you will get dirty looks, so learn to use chopsticks. It is quite easy to use them.

Step-by-step:

1. Hold one chopstick at the valley between your thumb and index finger.
2. Rest it steadily on top of your ring finger. Make sure it doesn't move around.
3. Hold the other one with your thumb, index, and middle fingers like a pen. This one is movable by moving your fingers.
4. Hold food by putting each chopstick on opposite sides of the food and gripping it.
5. To eat rice, either use step 4 or bring the bowl towards your mouth and push the rice towards your mouth.
6. If you are done using chopsticks, place them on top of the bowl or plate, or chopstick rest if provided.

What not to do with chopsticks:

- make noise
- pierce food
- stand vertically in a bowl (resembles incense for offering to the dead)
- point at others
- pass food from chopstick to chopstick (Buddhist funeral rituals pass bones this way)
- put them in your hair

What you can do with chopsticks:

- bring food to someone's bowl or plate
- wedge a piece of food into two
- have an extra pair as serving chopsticks that everyone can use to bring food to their bowl or plate

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Amazing guide, I always wanted to use Chop sticks but NOW I know how. THANKS!
  • edited September 2010
    God damn it, now I realize that I've been holding them wrong all this while.

Thanks!
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Another great guide :D
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Not if you're 3 years old or a cracker or nigger. They're pretty useless though, it's easy to learn to hold it properly, so that springy mechanism won't do much for you. Not exactly frowned upon, but people will laugh at you behind your back or even to your face :D
    edited September 2010
    Those look alright to me. If it was something like these I'd think twice about taking them in :p

clothespin_chopsticksA.jpg

Edit: Actually the black one looks quite discreet.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the staff definitely laughed at her. They'd probably laugh less if she asked for a fork. Should show her how easy it is to use real chopsticks. It's better to dine knowing nobody's laughing
    edited September 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    Those look alright to me. If it was something like these I'd think twice about taking them in :p

clothespin_chopsticksA.jpg

Now those are just tweezers :facepalm:

They don't allow the same movement that chopsticks do, as showin the gif in the op.
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Now those are just tweezers :facepalm:

They don't allow the same movement that chopsticks do, as showin the gif in the op.

True, but at least you can hang your washing up with them :D
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010
    Gotta strip the plastic off the noodles before you eat them :p
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    At a sushi place I go to they have "beginners" chopsticks that they make with a rubber band and a small piece of paper. I think everyone should just learn how to use chopsticks, though. It's not really that hard.
    edited September 2010
    I always use chopsticks with Asian foods except Indian food.
  • edited September 2010
    When I was little, the waiters at places where they had chopsticks would rig the wrapper of the chopsticks and a rubber-band into something very similar to those clothespin chopsticks.

EDIT: Then I stopped being retarded and learned how to use them properly.
  • edited September 2010
    Is it frowned upon to use these in a chinese restaurant?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_k8aDAqQf554vk1s1se438iN-WfCc9Zz7roKyTV5lX0NoFuE&t=1&usg=__v-jarJwPdU4i_9TGIOmE7Q578Ic=

Probably not. I bet if you were in a fancy traditional restaurant in Asia it would get you some dirty looks, but almost certainly not here. Do most Chinese places even use chopsticks? Most of the time they have forks and knives, no?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    When I was little, the waiters at places where they had chopsticks would rig the wrapper of the chopsticks and a rubber-band into something very similar to those clothespin chopsticks.

EDIT: Then I stopped being retarded and learned how to use them properly.

I remember those. I used to feel all badass because I felt like I was really using chopsticks:facepalm:
    edited September 2010
    Probably not. I bet if you were in a fancy traditional restaurant in Asia it would get you some dirty looks, but almost certainly not here. Do most Chinese places even use chopsticks? Most of the time they have forks and knives, no?

Don't know about where you are, but here chopsticks are standard and you have to ask for forks and knives.
  • edited September 2010
    Don't know about where you are, but here chopsticks are standard and you have to ask for forks and knives.

I guess I just haven't gone to enough Chinese restaurants.
    edited September 2010
    The sushi places here provide chopsticks. You have to ask for knives and forks. Most of the chinese ones provide forks just because their clientèle is all white people.
    edited September 2010
    Same here brah! We gotta ask for chopsticks because they give us knives and forks
    They only give Asian people chopsticks. :( NZ.
    They naturally assume us southern wide eyes don't know how to use them.:(
    edited September 2010
    Some of these replies make me think you crackers never been in a real chink restaraunt :o
    edited September 2010
    Some of these replies make me think you crackers never been in a real chink restaraunt :o

There aren't any where I live. Fuckin mexicans make the food :facepalm:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010

I've been to a few where you have to ask for silverware. Unfortunatly in America a lot of the restaurants food is so Americanized it can hardly be called Chinese. Chinese food is the food of the God's.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    I learned how to use em once on the back of a package of chopstix at a chinese restaurant. But I forgot how. Thank you mayberry. I know can fulfill my destiny to be the next chinese food eating contest champion.
    edited September 2010
    Hahaha!.:D
    Opps! I forgot....Yum cha give you chopsticks at your table but give you the option of cutlery sitting on the counter.....Love that shit. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2010
    It's great to hear about dining experiences elsewhere in the world. Actually sets places apart, like for me, I've never seen a counter to sit at when I eat dim sum :o
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    chopsticks are pretty easy to use. but really, FUCK THE RULES.

i stab my food all the time, especially when theres this super slippery piece of food