Make Absinthe

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
absinthe.jpg

Absinthe is a liquor infused with wormwood and various other herbs. Don't buy the stuff from liquor stores because the Thujone is so minimal you wont get any effect's. Thujone is the active ingredient in Wormwood and it is known to cause speedy and mild psychedelic effects.

In my experience with Absinthe it provides a buzz more similar to speed than Alcohol. I've never hallucinated but it will have psychedelic effects on your thoughts.

What you'll Need.
  1. A strong liquor preferably everclear although Vodka will work as well.
  2. Something to put it in. I usually use one of those plastic containers they put large amounts of twizzlers in.
  3. Wormwood.
  4. Green anise
  5. fennel
  6. Liquorice for flavor
  7. You can also use mint if you want to counter the bitterness of the wormwood.
  8. A filter of some kind
  9. A funnel.

The Process:
  1. Pour a fifth of Everclear into the container.
  2. Add the wormwood to the Liquor. It's best if you have some cheese cloth to contain it
  3. Put a lid on the container
  4. Put it away and let this sit for a week
  5. After a week has passed add the rest of the herbs (you can include other herbs for flavour if you wish)
  6. Let it sit for another week
  7. If you used a cheese cloth its ready to drink. Funnel it into a bottle. If not move on to step 8
  8. Put a filter inside of the funnel and pour your Absinthe into it to filter out the herbs.
  9. Now use the funnel to put into a bottle
  10. This makes a fifth of Absinthe.

I don't know for sure what the Thujone level is when this process is done. From personal experience doing this I can tell you it's far stronger store brand stuff. The taste will be that of very bitter liquorice.

Warning to not drink this if your prone to seizures. Thujone at this level has been known to cause seizures so exercise caution

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    How safe is this? I've heard people to go blind from homemade alcohol. If it's safe, another thing on my bucket list :thumbsup:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    How safe is this? I've heard people to go blind from homemade alcohol. If it's safe, another thing on my bucket list :thumbsup:

It's safe since the alcohol is already there from the everclear your fine. People go blind making liquor because they fuck up the distilling process and create Methanol instead of ethanol. As long as your not distilling liquor all home-made alcohol is safe.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, I wonder where this was pasted from?
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, I wonder where this was pasted from?

This isn't pasted I've done this many times.:facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Great guide, I added a picture and did some formatting. The picture is required because I need it form Reddit Bot :). Please include a related image in future guides.
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Great guide, I added a picture and did some formatting. The picture is required because I need it form Reddit Bot :). Please include a related image in future guides.

I'll be sure to do that. Glad you liked it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Just a reference guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Absinthe

Read this as well.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    You cannot get high from absinthe :facepalm:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=214

Seriously, read about absinthe from that site. I've had real absinthe, and no, it does not get you high. You do not light it on fire, either. They have some scientific studies on there about thujone. Read them. It does not get you high. It does not make you hallucinate.

5. Marketing with unproven secondary effects of absinthe

Some absinthe manufacturers and suppliers tend to advertise the supposed psychoactive or aphrodisiac properties of absinthe on their websites. Absinthe is also often and misleadingly advertised as having a cannabis-like effect. This is based on a hypothesis from the 19th century suggesting that absinthe acts in the same way as hashish. The hypothesis was renewed in 1975 by relatively far-fetched findings stating that, because of structural similarities between thujone and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), both substances might activate the same receptor in the central nervous system (del Castillo et al. 1975); this could not be proven in later experiments (Meschler et al. 1999). The THC-absinthe connection may serve as an archetype modeling how conjectural scientific evidence can enter modern culture. A search on Google for “absinthe and THC” currently produces approximately 37,600 hits, mostly shopping sites, which advertise absinthe for psychoactive effects. In one case, the declaration “cannabis-like effect” was even found on a bottle label.

However, based on current available evidence, commercially manufactured absinthe appears not to cause detrimental health effects other than those encountered in alcoholism. All advertisements of aphrodisiac, psychotropic or other “secondary effects” of absinthe may, therefore, be misleading to the consumer. Consumers need to refocus their attention away from absinthe’s thujone myth, former reputation and supposed effects, and start to choose absinthe purely for quality and taste like any other spirit.
    http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=171&limit=1&limitstart=3
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    You cannot get high from absinthe :facepalm:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=214

Seriously, read about absinthe from that site. I've had real absinthe, and no, it does not get you high. You do not light it on fire, either. They have some scientific studies on there about thujone. Read them. It does not get you high. It does not make you hallucinate.

5. Marketing with unproven secondary effects of absinthe

Some absinthe manufacturers and suppliers tend to advertise the supposed psychoactive or aphrodisiac properties of absinthe on their websites. Absinthe is also often and misleadingly advertised as having a cannabis-like effect. This is based on a hypothesis from the 19th century suggesting that absinthe acts in the same way as hashish. The hypothesis was renewed in 1975 by relatively far-fetched findings stating that, because of structural similarities between thujone and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), both substances might activate the same receptor in the central nervous system (del Castillo et al. 1975); this could not be proven in later experiments (Meschler et al. 1999). The THC-absinthe connection may serve as an archetype modeling how conjectural scientific evidence can enter modern culture. A search on Google for “absinthe and THC” currently produces approximately 37,600 hits, mostly shopping sites, which advertise absinthe for psychoactive effects. In one case, the declaration “cannabis-like effect” was even found on a bottle label.

However, based on current available evidence, commercially manufactured absinthe appears not to cause detrimental health effects other than those encountered in alcoholism. All advertisements of aphrodisiac, psychotropic or other “secondary effects” of absinthe may, therefore, be misleading to the consumer. Consumers need to refocus their attention away from absinthe’s thujone myth, former reputation and supposed effects, and start to choose absinthe purely for quality and taste like any other spirit.
    http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=171&limit=1&limitstart=3

Look Ive made this many times. You wont trip but the buzz is for sure different than regular booze. Most everything on the market fails because legal Thujone level's are so low. Wormwood has an effect.
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited September 2010
    "Something to put it in. I usually use one of those plastic containers they put large amounts of twizzlers in."

It's probably not a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to be storing hard alcohol in a plastic container for a long time, then drinking it. Who knows what it would be dissolving out of the plastic.
    edited September 2010
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    "Something to put it in. I usually use one of those plastic containers they put large amounts of twizzlers in."

It's probably not a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to be storing hard alcohol in a plastic container for a long time, then drinking it. Who knows what it would be dissolving out of the plastic.

That's probably where the buzz is coming from.

Honestly, I think it's a placebo. Very high concentrations of thujone can have an effect, but it's not hallucinogenic, trippy, or anything else like that. It's not supposed to provide a buzz. Do you home brew lots of alcohol or only that one? It could be a psychological effect from making it yourself.

I wasn't trying to be a dick about it. I think it's really cool that you home brew. I always get annoyed when people say things about how "absinthe will get you so high, man." It's just another spirit, the same as any other.

By the way, bitters have way more thujone than commercially available absinthe.

Check this out:
    The convulsive ED50 of thujone in rats is 35.5 mg/kg/day po, and the ‘no effect’ level is 12.5 mg/kg/day po (Margaria, R. (1963) Acute and sub-acute toxicity study on thujone. Unpublished report of Istito di Fisiologia, Università di Milano). No toxicity studies have been conducted in humans but the FDAs accepts a safe level for food additives as a highly conservative 100 times less than the no effect level in animals. Thus a safe (no effect) dose of thujone could be extrapolated as 8.75 mg/day for a 70 kg human and it can be seen that even at the highest concentrations found in any of the samples tested, the effects of the alcohol would far outweigh those of the thujone.

Sample...........................................................Thujone mg/l...............Anethole mg/l
    Private distillation.....................................................25.............................956
    Vintage Pernod fils circa. 1900...................................6............................1400
    Emile Pernot 45%.......................................................8............................1053
    Un Emile 68%............................................................10.............................792
    http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=248

You'd need a lot of thujone for it to have any effect. That research says you need more than 12.5mg/day to even feel it. That's more than the amount in a full liter of commercial ones. If you drank the whole liter of private distillation ones, you're still only getting 25mg. You'd be feeling the effects of the alcohol way more than anything else. Plus, absinthe has a really high alcohol by volume. Most of the ones I've seen are between 50 and 75% abv. There's no way anyone but an alcoholic could handle a full liter of 75% abv booze.

You're correct in saying that thujone can provide a different state of mind. However, you'd need a lot, and the alcohol is likely to mask it.
    edited September 2010
    That's probably where the buzz is coming from.

Honestly, I think it's a placebo. Very high concentrations of thujone can have an effect, but it's not hallucinogenic, trippy, or anything else like that. It's not supposed to provide a buzz. Do you home brew lots of alcohol or only that one? It could be a psychological effect from making it yourself.

I wasn't trying to be a dick about it. I think it's really cool that you home brew. I always get annoyed when people say things about how "absinthe will get you so high, man." It's just another spirit, the same as any other.

By the way, bitters have way more thujone than commercially available absinthe.

Check this out:
    The convulsive ED50 of thujone in rats is 35.5 mg/kg/day po, and the ‘no effect’ level is 12.5 mg/kg/day po (Margaria, R. (1963) Acute and sub-acute toxicity study on thujone. Unpublished report of Istito di Fisiologia, Università di Milano). No toxicity studies have been conducted in humans but the FDAs accepts a safe level for food additives as a highly conservative 100 times less than the no effect level in animals. Thus a safe (no effect) dose of thujone could be extrapolated as 8.75 mg/day for a 70 kg human and it can be seen that even at the highest concentrations found in any of the samples tested, the effects of the alcohol would far outweigh those of the thujone.

Sample...........................................................Thujone mg/l...............Anethole mg/l
    Private distillation.....................................................25.............................956
    Vintage Pernod fils circa. 1900...................................6............................1400
    Emile Pernot 45%.......................................................8............................1053
    Un Emile 68%............................................................10.............................792
    http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=248

You'd need a lot of thujone for it to have any effect. That research says you need more than 12.5mg/day to even feel it. That's more than the amount in a full liter of commercial ones. If you drank the whole liter of private distillation ones, you're still only getting 25mg. You'd be feeling the effects of the alcohol way more than anything else. Plus, absinthe has a really high alcohol by volume. Most of the ones I've seen are between 50 and 75% abv. There's no way anyone but an alcoholic could handle a full liter of 75% abv booze.

You're correct in saying that thujone can provide a different state of mind. However, you'd need a lot, and the alcohol is likely to mask it.

No I make other types of alcohol too. I'm not saying Absinthe will make you OMGZZ im so Higghz you know. It's a subtle high. I always noticed that I feel almost sped up when I drink it than drunk. It could be because when you make it yourself the Thujone content is way higher than even the shit you get in Europe. Like I said you wont trip or see a magic green fairy but Ive don plenty of drugs in my day and for me at least Absinthe does have a noticeably different effect than just plain booze. Keep in mind also when I first did this I expected absolutly no effect other than alcohol. I wasnt going in expecting to trip and I didnt. J7st felt more aware and almost like a took a low dose of speed.
    edited September 2010
    Interesting. You should try brewing in glass and see if it has the same effect, just to rule out the possibility that the plastic is doing something.
    edited September 2010
    Interesting. You should try brewing in glass and see if it has the same effect, just to rule out the possibility that the plastic is doing something.

I'll give it a shot. It's nothing like some would have you believe but Ive noticed a definite effect each time. I dont post in BLTC here that often so you probably dont know but Ive had extensive experience with drugs in almost every form so I'm not prone to Placebo. I'll also point out that others that have drank the same stuff reported the same things I did. I also use an ass load of the wormwood and really your supposed to use 2 fifths but I just use 1 so while I cant scientifically read the level's I can assure you it ends up with a very high concentration. Even in Europe and in America where Absinthe is legal the highest concentration they make anywhere is still not enough to do anything at all. Every legal brand in the world has such a low level of thujone that you'd get alcohol poisoning before you felt it. Basically it's not the same stuff that they had a long time ago when Van Ghoh was drinking it. Just stuff to keep in mind. I'll try using glass next time. I will be seriously fucking pissed if I find out Ive just been getting some sort of plastic poisoning this whole time.
    edited September 2010
    Actually the info I posted was to dispel the myth that there ever used to be lots of thujone. One of the ones I listed the thujone content for was a vintage absinthe from the 1900s. It had less thujone than ones now. There's actually no evidence that absinthe ever had tons of thujone, and the vintage ones that have been tested all had low levels.
    edited September 2010
    Actually the info I posted was to dispel the myth that there ever used to be lots of thujone. One of the ones I listed the thujone content for was a vintage absinthe from the 1900s. It had less thujone than ones now. There's actually no evidence that absinthe ever had tons of thujone, and the vintage ones that have been tested all had low levels.

I know. Maybe some brands had more than others. Mayby Ive found the magic level:D My bad if I came across as getting pissy about it. I'm hungover from last night. Not from Absinthe btw. Eh I dont know if your ever bored try making it. It's pretty simple. You may be surprised. Or Ive been poisoning myself with plastic somehow. If thats the case then:facepalm:
    edited September 2010
    Well I'm not saying you aren't feeling something from it, but it could be from brewing it improperly or using plastic. Absinthe never had a whole lot of wormwood in it, because wormwood is actually a poison. You might just be poisoning yourself :)