military customization

ScuDScuD Regular
edited October 2010 in Man Cave
Can Soldiers modify/customize there weapons?

can they carry a different weapon than they are originally supplied with, as per there own purchase??

i see allot of firearms magazines that showcase prohibited weapons.

could a regular grunt get away with "trading up" on his own dime. or maybe like in special forces?

im interested to know.

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited September 2010
    ScuD wrote: »
    Can Soldiers modify/customize there weapons?

Depending on what you want to do. Optics and such are a possibility depending on your unit. Mine was pretty flexible, but pretty much everyone stayed with Aimpoint, trijicon, or Eotech. I never cared for the forward verticle grip, I just gripped closer to the magazine. But as for changing barrels, stocks, that sort of thing- no go.

Our unit couldn't really deviate from the SOPMOD package much at all, and more regular infantry was even more restricted most not even having access to SOPMOD.
    can they carry a different weapon than they are originally supplied with, as per there own purchase??

That is also a no-go. And a surefire way to get a dishonorable discharge and a likely court-martial. Some kid in a sister company in our division got his ass sent home for trying it. Thing is, if your shit breaks, you're SOL because the armour can't help you. And if you have something in a different cartridge or a different magazine you and your teammates can be screwed.
    i see allot of firearms magazines that showcase prohibited weapons.

What do you mean prohibited? A lot of states here(most of the rags are producted in the US) allow for automatic weapons and suppressors(not mine). You have to pay a $200 dollar stamp for each, and in the case of automatic weapons- each are about $15,000. Most don't have the money for that.

AR's, AK's, and the like are perfectly legal here as long as you keep the barrel over 18 inches and semi-auto.
    could a regular grunt get away with "trading up" on his own dime. or maybe like in special forces?

Nope. Even special forces have their limitations. And it's becoming more stringent on them too.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    by prohibited i mean to say restricted, like firearms for law enforcement or military use. pretty much anything automatic is restricted and modding a weapon to allow for full-auto is against the law.
    edited September 2010
    by prohibited i mean to say restricted, like firearms for law enforcement or military use. pretty much anything automatic is restricted and modding a weapon to allow for full-auto is against the law.

modifiying anything to allow auto-matic fire is Illegal here to. Under our law, the gun had to be manufactured and REGISTERED before 1986. Thus no machine gun has been manufactured for legal civilian use since. Thus due to rarity, these items are very expensive. A civilian transferable automatic M16 usually comes in around $15,000-$20,000 dollars. Most people don't have that kind of money to throw down on a range toy. I know I sure as shit dont.
    edited September 2010
    Also keep in mind, what is restricted there, is not typically here in the United States- where as I said, where most of those gun rags were written and produced.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    so you can sopmod a gun depending on who you serve with? do you have to do it on your own coin?
    edited September 2010
    so you can sopmod a gun depending on who you serve with? do you have to do it on your own coin?

SOPMOD, is a package you are issued within your unit. Is basically to tailor equipment for mission objectives. And as I said, not available to everyone. Just certain units. I was just glad I didn't have to pay for Trijicon glass myself, shit is close to $1,000. Not cheap, but very effective and the battery life is amazing. Which is pretty crucial when we could never source any batteries.

You would think if we can air drop pallets of food to 3rd world countries, a tank from a helicopter or a C130 all on a dime- that we could get some goddamn batteries to the front lines. Not when I was over there.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    i think a few small county police forces have that kind of thing.
    edited September 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    i think a few small county police forces have that kind of thing.

Johnny law has a lot more flexibility than the military.

They can either buy their on AR, or have one issued(generally from the .mil), and change it however they want. On the condition that when it is returned it is in it's original configuration.

They can change the entire thing, including the upper and trigger, as long as the lower is the same, and they hand it back in with all the original parts. Most have to do so on their own dime though.

It is likely that there is some issued package like we had, but I've never ran in to it.
  • edited September 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    SOPMOD, is a package you are issued within your unit. Is basically to tailor equipment for mission objectives. And as I said, not available to everyone. Just certain units. I was just glad I didn't have to pay for Trijicon glass myself, shit is close to $1,000. Not cheap, but very effective and the battery life is amazing. Which is pretty crucial when we could never source any batteries.

You would think if we can air drop pallets of food to 3rd world countries, a tank from a helicopter or a C130 all on a dime- that we could get some goddamn batteries to the front lines. Not when I was over there.
    Yeah trijicon batteries last years but they sure are hard to come by.:rolleyes:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-weapon-sights

Legal everywhere in the USA except California. Pretty sure you can't have them in canada.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, are you talking about Aimpoints?

Because unless the military started issuing the pile of shit Trijicon Tri-Powers, no Trijicon optic used by the military uses batteries.
    edited September 2010
    Yes I mis-spoke/mis-typed. Sue me, I'm broke. Also, the nightvision is what really eats through the batteries. Om nom nom'ed the shit out of my batteries.

ACOG on one tour, an Aimpoint on another.

I liked the ACOG, I never had problems with it. Aimpoint was dandy, but I ended up breaking one of them and was left with Irons for about a month.

I really would have liked to have gotten my hands on an EOtech with the flip to side magnifier. Probably more of just a fun gadget for me to likely break, but still. I want one now at least :P
    edited September 2010
    Now I'm curious.

In what way was your Aimpoint broken?

I'm assuming it was the Aimpoint M2 that takes DL1/3N camera flash batteries, as I don't think the military ever issued the Aimpoint M3, and the current Aimpoint M4 takes AAs.

But Aimpoints seem to be the most durable electronic sight on the market and I'm interested in what it takes to kill one.
  • edited September 2010
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    Aimpoints seem to be the most durable electronic sight on the market and I'm interested in what it takes to kill one.

$20 says he tried to fuck it
    edited September 2010
    $20 says he tried to fuck it

Almost.

Got a bad round stuck in the chamber, just dicking around at the FOB thank god, jammed it with the cleaning rod a few times and smacked the butt stock on the ground a few to get it out. You know the drill. I guess I must have gotten a bit carried away, as the dot wouldn't work anymore. That violent shaking probably dislodged a lead in the sight.

Carelessness on my part I guess, was trying to figure out if my problems was the ammunition, magazines, or rifle itself.... Turns out it was the ammo. We had a few others get some cases stuck too.
    edited September 2010
    Now I'm curious.

In what way was your Aimpoint broken?

I'm assuming it was the Aimpoint M2 that takes DL1/3N camera flash batteries, as I don't think the military ever issued the Aimpoint M3, and the current Aimpoint M4 takes AAs.

But Aimpoints seem to be the most durable electronic sight on the market and I'm interested in what it takes to kill one.

M2. I don't think the M4's were around at that point. And it was mainly me just being incredibly pissed at my failure to eject problems. Got a case stuck and the fucker wouldn't come out easily so I started abusing it. Never had a problem other wise.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    Really interesting thread, thanks for the good answers acid_drop. I have always been interested in this sort of thing and this thread gave a good insight :D
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    ^^ this. Props to acid_drop for the info. In fact while on topic of acid_drop; you have a way of words that i sometimes lose sight of the fact that the discussion involves taking human life, if that isn't professionalism, i don't know what is.

before that gets twisted into liberal sarcasm; i was only a few tests away from joining the forces earlier this year.
  • edited September 2010
    Almost.

Got a bad round stuck in the chamber, just dicking around at the FOB thank god, jammed it with the cleaning rod a few times and smacked the butt stock on the ground a few to get it out. You know the drill. I guess I must have gotten a bit carried away, as the dot wouldn't work anymore. That violent shaking probably dislodged a lead in the sight.

Carelessness on my part I guess, was trying to figure out if my problems was the ammunition, magazines, or rifle itself.... Turns out it was the ammo. We had a few others get some cases stuck too.
    Did you at least try to fuck the rifle?
    edited September 2010
    stres wrote: »
    ^^ this. Props to acid_drop for the info. In fact while on topic of acid_drop; you have a way of words that i sometimes lose sight of the fact that the discussion involves taking human life, if that isn't professionalism, i don't know what is.

before that gets twisted into liberal sarcasm; i was only a few tests away from joining the forces earlier this year.

I'm a liberal. :)

Meh. The only people who are infactuated with the killing and dieing are those rednecks that have never been there, and people trying to demonize the soldier. It's not something I really care to talk about, I dodge the conversation most often.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a liberal. :)

i actually don't know jack shit about politics and for some reason i associated 'liberal' for anti-gun, hippy shit ya kno? ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Did you at least try to fuck the rifle?
    ANSWER THE QUESTION :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    do it faggot
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    i actually don't know jack shit about politics and for some reason i associated 'liberal' for anti-gun, hippy shit ya kno? ;)

I wrote a long paragraph on this last night, and the site went down and I lost it. So I'll keep this brief.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a 'liberal' I guess. But I'm not a conservative either. My political policies are a bit varied. Pro choice, pro gay marriage and gay military service, Pro gun rights, capital punishment if there is absolutely ZERO doubt he is guilty, I'm an atheist, etc. etc.

The gun rights thing, and when I joined the service just about killed my mom. She is a hardcore liberal. She kept trying to convince me not to do so, saying that the war was unjustified and that I'm no killer. I guess I wasn't a killer then, and the war still isn't justified. But as long as religion and oil is the root of all war, no war has ever been legitimately justified. She's more ok with it now, that obviously I'm home and not dead or missing body parts. Just a scar on my head from an exploded truck.

I also don't vote, and will not vote when our politicians in this country are all owned by the same people. Campaigns are built on empty promises to get elected, then once in office each party is the same exact tool. Bi-partisan politics are bullshit.

/politic rant. :P

Oh also, you mention hippy shit. I used to go to schwagstock in Missouri every year, and this was the first time I've been in 4 years. The place is fuuuuucking awesome. Full of drugs, douchebag hippies, great music, and once in awhile a Sublime tribute band that is spot on. Look it up, campzoe.com :)
  • edited October 2010
    DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT FUCK THE RIFLE
    inquiring minds want to know
    edited October 2010
    DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT FUCK THE RIFLE
    inquiring minds want to know

I had no sexual intercourse with any rifle.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    Clinton was my hero! ;)
    I agree, I want teh sechs!
    edited October 2010
    Hey now, settle down! ;)
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    i cee wat u did thar :o:o:o
  • edited October 2010
    I had no sexual intercourse with any rifle.
    X65kH.jpg
    I did
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    ^^ respect.
    edited October 2010
    He's fucking a Stag.

Stag Arms is like the $3.50, HIV infected, fat hooker of the AR world.
    edited October 2010
    X65kH.jpg
    I did

hahaha. That's really fucked man.
  • edited October 2010
    He's fucking a Stag.

Mad because I fucked your wife? :o:o :cool: :D:D :fap: :fap: :fap: :D:D :cool:
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    He's fucking a Stag.

My countries firearm's legislation makes that HIV infected, fat hooker look pretty fuckable right now.
    edited October 2010
    Mad because I fucked your wife? :o:o :cool: :D:D :fap: :fap: :fap: :D:D :cool:

No.

It's just that I only like rifles that are good.