How-to: Play PS2 Games on a PS3 (Actually Works)

SkittlesSkittles Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
How to Play PS2 Games on a PS3

PS3-Slim-001.jpg

So if you have a Slim Playstation 3 you probably would have realised by now that your old PS2 games don't work on it. Neverfear, I Skittles have found a work around that will allow you to play your beloved PS2 games on a PS3!

Step 1: Get a PS3 and plug it in
Step 2: Put a PS3 game in it
Step 3: Get a PS2 and plug it in
Step 4: Put a PS2 game in it
Step 5: Put PS2 on top of PS3
Step 6: Congratulations you can now play your PS2 games on your PS3!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    It's important to note that not all models of the PS3 are backwards compatible with the PS2. Other than this, the guide is good :)
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    loligetit
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna try this.

Hold on, can I play my PS3 games on my PS2 also?
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I'm gonna try this.

Hold on, can I play my PS3 games on my PS2 also?

No I'm afraid that that is impossible. I have tried and tried many times using the same technique, but still can't figure out how to do it.
  • edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's important to note that not all models of the PS3 are backwards compatible with the PS2. Other than this, the guide is good :)

:facepalm:

I didn't even read the fucking guide, hahahahahaha.
    edited September 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    No I'm afraid that that is impossible. I have tried and tried many times using the same technique, but still can't figure out how to do it.
    Ugh, that's sucks. I'll still give a try and post back results.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    This had my hopes up too:sad: I have a 40gb I think only the 60's can run ps2 it sucks.
  • edited September 2010
    This had my hopes up too:sad: I have a 40gb I think only the 60's can run ps2 it sucks.

Yeah :( My friend has a 60GB, and it definitely runs PS2 games. Never tried on any other version though, so I have no idea.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah :( My friend has a 60GB, and it definitely runs PS2 games. Never tried on any other version though, so I have no idea.

Why'd they have to be niggers and not include it on the other versions. It would make the ps3 so much more complete.:mad: I want to play San Andreas damnit.
  • edited September 2010
    There was a legit reason, but I don't remember why. Google it, it's probably on there somewhere! :D
    edited September 2010
    There was a legit reason, but I don't remember why. Google it, it's probably on there somewhere! :D

Nah they could've done it if they wanted to. They just did it to keep me down:mad: I'm not buying there lame excuses.
    edited September 2010
    They took a the chip out that does the backwards compatibility to cut down the price. These days I think it is possible for them to patch the PS3 with PS2 emulation software (hey a PC can do it) but I think they're not because of the money :angry: They're starting to make more and more PS2 HD collections, but patching the PS3 to play PS2 undercuts this making them lose money.
    edited September 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    They took a the chip out that does the backwards compatibility to cut down the price. These days I think it is possible for them to patch the PS3 with PS2 emulation software (hey a PC can do it) but I think they're not because of the money :angry: They're starting to make more and more PS2 HD collections, but patching the PS3 to play PS2 undercuts this making them lose money.

True it's all about the money. I think the gaming industry is declining terribly there too concerned now with flashy graphics and mass appeal to make good games with good plots and all that. I remember how long it used to take to beat games but now it seems like everyone I buy has a fucking 6 hour campaign. 10 hours is seen as an achievement anymore. And now there going with this PlayStation move bullshit. I dont want to move a stick around Im happy with a controller:mad:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Can I run Xbox360 on top of PS3 using this awesome technique?
    edited September 2010
    True it's all about the money. I think the gaming industry is declining terribly there too concerned now with flashy graphics and mass appeal to make good games with good plots and all that. I remember how long it used to take to beat games but now it seems like everyone I buy has a fucking 6 hour campaign. 10 hours is seen as an achievement anymore. And now there going with this PlayStation move bullshit. I dont want to move a stick around Im happy with a controller:mad:

Move is alright with me, just as long as its an option not a requirement. More people buying PS3s' = bigger market which means more games! Yeah I hate how its all about the money. Hopefully they don't change their free-to-play PSN or I'm going to have a bitch fit.
    edited September 2010
    You can't expect gaming to go backwards, can you?

Gaming will always coincide with technology's path, moving forward and forward.

They're not targeting you, they're targeting adults and pre-teens. As odd as that seems, most console gamers are adults over 25+.

If they can't appeal to them, then oh well. That's pretty much all you got. So rather than being a 'rebel' and [boycotting LOL] most just conform to gaming standards now [graphics > plot] and avoid themselves the hassle.

I'd take Metroid Fusion anyday over Halo Reach, too bad my GBA SP is dead and the backlight function doesn't work.
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Can I run Xbox360 on top of PS3 using this awesome technique?

I'm not sure? I heard a rumour that you can play an Xbox360 games on a toaster though.
    edited September 2010
    Same The free to play online is the whole reason I traded in my 360 and large collection of games for the PS3. The fact that they make a lot of games is good but it's becoming difficult to wade through the heaps of shit out there. The last games I played that were truly awesome were MGS4 and Heavy Rain. Bioshock was great as well they need more games like these. I just dont want to see move cause PS3 to become like the wii with "family friendly" games dominating the market.
    edited September 2010
    I won't be too sure about the PS Move gaining any popularity.

There's always going to be a bunch of hardcore-FPS-fanboys[gunzrawesomefuckthefreeworld] tormenting on more FPS game developing.

Perhaps a few 'family+friend' titles? I doubt it'll catch on like the Wii.
    edited September 2010
    Same The free to play online is the whole reason I traded in my 360 and large collection of games for the PS3. The fact that they make a lot of games is good but it's becoming difficult to wade through the heaps of shit out there. The last games I played that were truly awesome were MGS4 and Heavy Rain. Bioshock was great as well they need more games like these. I just dont want to see move cause PS3 to become like the wii with "family friendly" games dominating the market.

Nah but the PS3 is doing it the right way. Move is being implemented on casual and core games. Killzone 3, Socom, Resident Evil 5 and even Heavy Rain are getting Move support. It sounds interesting, but we will have to wait a while to see how well it works, and what other games are jumping on the bandwagon.
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Perhaps a few 'family+friend' titles?

INCEST.png
    edited September 2010
    Awesome I can finally see your pics mayberry:thumbsup:
    edited September 2010
    And all it took was a little incest :D