Guess What I Did The Other Day...

SkittlesSkittles Regular
edited November 2010 in Spurious Generalities
...I went for a skydive, and it was fucking awesome!

Everyone definitely has to do this at least once in their lifetime. I'm pretty gutted I didn't get the photos, they were an extra $150 for about 50 but well worth it. Maybe next time.

skydive-lake-wanaka.jpg

Comments

• MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited November 2010
    that sounds like fun. how much did you pay for it? and what altitude did u jump from?
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    $300 (NZ) from 13,000 feet. I figured if I'm going to jump out of a plane, why not go for the highest they've got :cool:

The plane took like 10mins to get up, then about 30-60 seconds freefall with 5mins parachute. As soon as it finished I wanted to do it again. Its surprisingly not that scary either. The only scary part was actually jumping out of the plane, which I had no control of anyway cause it was a tandem.

The plane was so shitty too. Duct tape here and there, bits of wire holding things together and cardboard on the floor... it felt like something Dysgraphia had slapped together :p
  • edited November 2010
    I've always wanted to go skydiving.

The freefall part - does that actually feel like falling? (Sounds like a stupid question, I know)
    edited November 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to go skydiving.

The freefall part - does that actually feel like falling? (Sounds like a stupid question, I know)

I know what you mean and no, not really. You kind of can't sense how fast you're falling because you have nothing to measure it against unless you look up at the plane disappearing, which I only saw a couple seconds of. The pressure of air on your face is insane though. The air up there is strange.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited November 2010
    Ha, fucking sweet. Kinda curious, how long was it before you pulled the cord?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited November 2010
    This dude def. doesn't have the balls to skydive :o
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    Fuck man, I'm jealous. Should've said you were gonna report the a/c to the FAA for not being airworthy. Might've gotten a discount.
    edited November 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    Ha, fucking sweet. Kinda curious, how long was it before you pulled the cord?

I didn't pull it, the dude strapped to my back did :o it was only about 30-60 seconds till he did though.
    Skydiving is on my bucket list but i feel like if i got up that high, i would just chicken out and not jump :/

It's much easier if you're strapped to someone. They control everything. I did get to steer the parachute though :hai: It was on my 'someday' list too. You should ask for one as an xmas present, or you'll never do it :p
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited November 2010
    Dude.... fuuuccck. That's one of the only things I miss about the .Mil.

I was a paratrooper, but jumping out of a perfectly good areo-plane was amazing. And as you said, the only anxiety is leaving the craft itself. IT's one HELL of a fucking feeling. Some of the kids were so nervous they were shaking, I couldn't hardly wait to get out of the door. Most of the time we were on static lines though.

My favorite jump, was a HALO jump, but that was a one time thing. High enough you had to wear an oxygen mask, the drop seemed like FOREVER compared to static combat jumps. And we opened lower, much lower than standard static jumps. It was nuts.

I've been looking at a few places to take my G/F jumping, even though she's scared to death of it. As I told her, after you leave the door you forget about it untill the ground starts approaching. So much adrenalin. A few of the ones around here won't honor Paratrooper experience though, and I want to avoid that shit. I've jumped over 30 times, and don't need someone strapped to my back. She does, and I don't deny that, but I want to jump alone. I found a few that will honor my Parachute history, gotta wait till spring though!

FUUUUCK. I miss jumping outta areo-planes :P
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited November 2010
    There is no better feeling in the world than free fall. I love sex, but jesus, I think I've told the girl I'm engaged to that there is no better feeling than falling out of the sky. I wish it lasted 30mins so I could get down, while falling out of the sky :P That would probably be too much to handle hahaha.