At home with the Overlord

edited December 2010 in Life
In this thread I will share the meals I cook for my friends and family, usually on the night I cook them. Between my girlfriend, my roomate and his girlfriend, and the friends that come over during the week I usually cook for five or six people three or four times a week this has two benefits, someone else buys the ingredients, someone else washes the dishes. I am going to keep them a little vague, I don't want to hold your hand, just give you some ideas. Eventually I will use pictures, just as soon as I figure out how, yep, I'm that far behind, but for now;

So, tonight is pretty simple, a one pan job with Chinese ingredients that is not to my knowledge related to any traditional Chinese dish;

Rice rolls with Chinese sausage and peanuts.
Required;
Fresh Chinese rice rolls.
Chinese sausage
Blanched, unsalted peanuts
Snow peas
Mung bean sprouts
Hoisin sauce
Soy sauce
Peanut butter

Sourcing; Any Chinese market will have these ingredients, if you don't have a Chinese market near you you're pretty much screwed on this one. The rice rolls come in a cake, looks like a big white brick. The sausages are sold in packs like hot dogs, Kam Yan Jan, and Wing Wing are good brands, make sure you don't get the ones with liver in them, nasty nasty.

Method; pre-show;
Clean the snow peas, about 30 by pinching each end then snapping it at a 90 angle and pulling, the "dental floss" should pull off as you pull the end away.
Cut the Chinese sausage, 4 links, cut it thin and at a sharp angle.
Cut the rice rolls into 1 inch pieces and break them up a bit.
Mix 3 tbsp hoisin sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 cup water, 2 tbsp peanut butter(optional) in a small bowl, don't worry if the peanut butter doesn't break up too much.

Method; the show;
Heat an 18inch non stick skillet, if you want to do this in a wok I will assume you are familiar with it and need no instruction on it's use. This is a fast hot method so about 7/10 will do.
Toss in the sausage and a half cup of the peanuts and stir until the sausage and peanuts brown a bit.
Throw in the chopped rice rolls and stir for a couple of minutes, nothing should be getting too brown, then add the snow peas and stir for another minute or two.
Add the liquids, and a handfull of the bean sprouts, stir till all ingredients are coated, then toss a lid on it for a minute.
Done
Garnish with a drizzle of sesame oil and some fine chopped green onions.
Serve with Chinese beer.

C/O
"15 minutes to make, 1.5 hours to write, I'm glad my roomate put on a Rush video"

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    This is excellent Chinese comfort food. I've grown up eating this here and there and just doesn't get old. Also, liver sausages are an acquired taste. Give them a try before avoiding them :)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    This is excellent Chinese comfort food. I've grown up eating this here and there and just doesn't get old. Also, liver sausages are an acquired taste. Give them a try before avoiding them :)

Dude, I bought some of those at T&T because they were on sale. I once ate a live baby octopus, I have a very broad palate, but those found no good home in anything I tried to use them in. How are they supposed to be eaten?
    C/O
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    Dude, I bought some of those at T&T because they were on sale. I once ate a live baby octopus, I have a very broad palate, but those found no good home in anything I tried to use them in. How are they supposed to be eaten?
    C/O

Simplest way would be to steam them with ginger and scallions, then drizzle soy sauce. Other methods include deep frying and curry. Be very careful about cooking, they get very chewy if overcooked.