Christmas Booze

edited December 2010 in Life
So, aside from the traditional rum and egg-nog, does anyone have any drinks they pretty much only make during the silly season?

I like to do "mulled wine", which a brief wiki adventure has told me is similar to the German Gluwein, or the Scandinavian Glogg. Pretty simple;
In a large lidded pot put 1.5 litre dry red table wine. I usually use Sophia Gamza, which is a dry and rough Spanish red.
Add;
1/3 cup honey. This is at the low end of sweetness for mulled wine, so if you find it too dry, feel free to add more at the end.
1/2 cup brandy
One large cinnamon stick.
1/8-1/4 tsp nutmeg, depending on how much you like nutmeg.
Then take an orange (a normal one, not a mandarin) and make a shallow spiral cut that circles the orange about 4 times between ends. Try to only cut into the white part of the orange rind. Then stud the orange with 15 or so cloves, and add to the pot.
A 1 inch section of vanilla bean is optional
Heat gently on medium heat for about 20 minutes, you don't want it to get above 78 c or you will start losing precious ethanol, but you need to keep it warm for at least 10 minutes for the spices to do their thing.
Serve in coffee mugs, decorate with an orange slice.

I am going to try to find a few more, like what the heck is in the Christmas Punch seen in the original A Chrismas Carol, being doled out to the family by Bob Cratchett? Also Negus, and Wassail, I have heard of them and have found some "updated" recipes, bah!, if I am going to use the exploration of Edwardian Christmas traditions as an excuse to get sloshed, it has to be the real thing.
C/O
"Mommy, why did daddy take a dump in the salad crisper and pass out on the lawn?
It's Christmas honey, shut up and have some more wine."

Comments