Anyone else do barwork?

dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
I just figure everyone has worked in a bar in there time and done cellar work - it was easy work to get when I was at school / collage / university and it payed decent money - with the 'money finds' at the end of the night - where you could double your wages it was like a competition between 11.15 and 11.25 to clear a bar that had held 320 people for four hours, collect all the glasses in, wash them and put them away, collect all of the empty bottles and put them in the bin outside, empty and wash out the bin store and restock the bar with the 5 main spirits, empty any ice stores, wash any spiriti pourers that had been put to one side because they had been used to pour pernod (coke works best to wash that nasty taste out) and record any bar waste.

The organisation was unspoken but we would turn something that looked like it had been in a horror movie into something very presentable in 10 minutes. The place would even smell clean.

I have however worked in bars that were so badly managed it would take 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours to clean up. I did not work in those for very long.

Some times I have worked for free or very little at places, it is very enjoyable work - in some ways a service to the community in some communities.

I think tho, it is the first 'trade' I learned - it is something I like to keep my eye in on.

Its not as easy as it looks either - in some places I have worked, rounds could be 20-30 drinks some times. The best way to be quick with that order is to remember it as soon as it is said, question it to confirm and and make the drinks.

Dont go to the till and ring the drink in under your loggin because you cannot remember it. Know the price of the drinks. Know how to make the cocktails. Remember shit and shit happens x4 faster and so you can take x4 money and keep the people that buy a drink x4 happy.

When the bar area and bar as a whole are a mosh pit, learn how to control the croud.

The people you meet and the things you see condense life - you see it all, a real and true drama before you very eyes.

I have some good old war stories, anyone else work in a bar?

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    I worked in a bar for about a year at one point. I was a Bartender and made pretty good money. Just hit on the drunk chicks and they'll tip you well. It also helps if you're good looking, no one wants to buy a drink from a skag.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited January 2011
    yup. i used to be a karaoke dj, the tips weren't bad at all. but putting up with drunks singing all the time :facepalm:
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I have a bar at home and mix drinks for chicks I bring home?

I'd only work at a bar at a upmarket place or in a place like the UK where I was visiting and needed a quick job that I could take advantage of an Aussie accent with.