A nice little number I made last night.

edited January 2011 in Life
It is a pretty good example of "fusion" cooking, or a complete pantsload, you be the judge.

Asian prawn ravioli with brown butter and pear.

You will need;
1 package wonton wrappers.
350 g peeled and deveined prawns
1 bartlett (green) pear
125 g cultured Normandy style butter
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
25 ml minced ginger
25 ml minced garlic
10 ml light soy
10 ml chinese cooking wine
10 ml sesame oil
50 ml fine diced water chestnuts (optional, I didn't have any, but I think it would be nice)
5 ml msg (also optional, I use it in my chinese food, but many don't.)
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Pre show;
Ravioli filling; Chop the prawns, do not use a food processor, you want them a little coarse, put them in a bowl and add the cornstarch,ginger,garlic,soy,cooking wine,sesame oil, water chestnuts and msg. mix well.
Lay out 12 wonton wrappers on a flat dry surface and have a bowl of water nearby.
Place a tablespoon or so of filling in the middle of each wrapper and form it into a small circle, work quickly so the wrappers don't dry out.
Using a pastry brush or your fingers, wet the area around the filling on one wrapper and put another wrapper on top. Press down the top wrapper starting close to the filling to prevent air bubbles, the wrappers will stick to each other forming a nice tight seal. Repeat for each ravioli.

Peel and dice the pear, if you are doing this well in advance, put it in water and drain it before the show.
Cover these and get ready for the show.

The show;
This is a very fast procedure, so make sure your table is set, and any accompanying dishes are ready to go. Your water for cooking the ravioli should be almost boiling before you start, a 6 litre pot of lightly salted water should do the trick.

Put the butter into a frying pan and brown it slowly over medium heat. By browning the butter I mean you first let it melt, then heat it slowly until the milk solids begin to turn brown. When the butter is the color of ohhh, lets say, a baseball glove, or a tanning bed junkie, add the pear (drained) and the lemon juice and hold on the lowest setting on your stove.

The water should be at a full boil now so add the ravioli one by one quickly, the cooking time is about 90 seconds, so no beer breaks now. When they are done pull them out of the water individually using a slotted spoon, taking a second with each one to drain the water off, and arrange them on 2 plates, 6 each.

Immediately spoon the brown butter and pear over the ravioli and serve. You might want to go that extra mile by heating your plates in a very low oven for 10 minutes or so beforehand, as a cold plate will suck the life out of this dish quite quickly. Serve and consume immediately.

I served these with a fennel and tomato salad, and some fresh bageutte slices. Do not use any cheese with this dish, and beat blind anyone who asks for it.

I took pics for this guide, but I need a good free photo editor to cut them down to size, any suggestions?

C/O
"big bear gave me the idea for brown butter and pear, it pains me to admit this"

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to give this one a try - and I like the way it is written (would not expect anything else from you tho) - after all, the devil is in the detail.

LOL @ no beer break - there is a time to prep and a time to cook. I agree on the cheese - cheese a prawns - give me a dish where it does go?! (apart from with paneer maybe).

For chopping photos, you should have paint on your computer - that will do the job but you will get a better picture if you download paint.net - although you might have MS photo editor on your computer which do as decent a job.

Anything else (gimp or photoshop) will take a bit of learning.
  • edited January 2011
    Use microsoft paint to resize the images. Put the image in paint. Hit resize. Most likely you'll want it to be 15% of the original size.
  • edited January 2011
    Use microsoft paint to resize the images. Put the image in paint. Hit resize. Most likely you'll want it to be 15% of the original size.

Thanks!
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    this sounds like a proper gimp meal.