Installing Hard Disk Drives [Vertical or Horizontal]

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
I had this problem before but today I decided to dig deeper. Most people generally prefer installing hard disk horizontally meaning the bottom side is facing down and while some users prefer the vertical approach, 90 degree angle.

Example:
hhdv.jpg
Vertical

hddh.jpg
Horizontal

Now, I had a problem understanding this but after some quick searches I finally got the answer. I thought if I placed my hard disk vertically it will increase the load on the motor and may cause problems for me in the long run.

As it turns out, a modern HDD acts as a Gyroscope when it's moving. Which basically means the gravity forces won't affect it in any way and my drives will run fine regardless of the position I install them in.

There are other advantages of vertical installation, one of them is better cooling. Since the drives are vertical they can easily be cooled and the heat will not build up like in the horizontal placement. I haven't tested this in my current system but I hope it's true.

So, in short you can easily place HDD's horizontally or vertically without having any problems.

For more info check this out
: http://superuser.com/questions/50413/does-vertical-position-affect-hard-drive

Blog LinK: http://dfg.tekgoblin.com/2010/07/19/installing-hard-disk-drives-vertical-or-horizontal/

Comments

• edited July 2010
    That's pretty awesome, never thought about installing drives vertically before.

Pity my case only allows for horizontal installations, haha.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Surely they would be more prone to heat related failure due to heat rising. The heat from the bottom has to pass through 3" of HDD before it can get out into the top whereas if it was mounted horizontally it has less to pass through. Not that this would make any noticeable difference in real life.

Also, this is were my front fans are:
    img0064.jpg

My four HDD's are where the screws are.

I don't think the effort is worth the, maybe non existent, gain.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome, never thought about installing drives vertically before.

Pity my case only allows for horizontal installations, haha.

Mine doesn't allow vertical installations as well, but some times you're forced to use the vertical method. I think this picture will explain everything.
    casing.JPG
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    BaconPie wrote: »
    Surely they would be more prone to heat related failure due to heat rising. The heat from the bottom has to pass through 3" of HDD before it can get out into the top whereas if it was mounted horizontally it has less to pass through. Not that this would make any noticeable difference in real life.

Also, this is were my front fans are:
    img0064.jpg

My four HDD's are where the screws are.

I don't think the effort is worth the, maybe non existent, gain.

Lol I'm pretty sure I used the same case for my build
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Antec 300? Best damn case around!
  • Issue313Issue313 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    casing.JPG

WTF happened there? Is that pile of bits and pieces on electricity?
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    dfg wrote: »
    mine doesn't allow vertical installations as well, but some times you're forced to use the vertical method. I think this picture will explain everything.
    casing.jpg

oh dear god wtf
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Issue313 wrote: »
    WTF happened there? Is that pile of bits and pieces on electricity?
    TLV wrote: »
    oh dear god wtf

PSU failure along with HOT fucking weather. It's a temp solution until I get a decent motherboard or processor. I usually have them all in casing and well ventilated.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    I got some fans if you want 'em dfg. You just gotta pay shipping. Oddly enough shipping two fans to pakistan only costs $14.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I got some fans if you want 'em dfg. You just gotta pay shipping. Oddly enough shipping two fans to pakistan only costs $14.

I already have enough fans. You didn't see the gaint fan next to the casing. It's blowing air at the motherboard. It's a 16" fan btw.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone wants to ship me some free stuff I'm cool with it.
  • edited July 2010
    Hahaha, that case is fucking muffed dude. Looks cool though, in a hilarious kinda way. I'll post pics of mine when I get home - Coolermaster HAF 922 :D
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited July 2010
    From what i understand vertical or horisontal will make no differance at all to the harddrives, what not to do is apparently to mount them at any other angles.

Thats what i was learned anyway, not sure if it still applies to modern drives.
    I think the theory was that a harddrive mounted in 90° angles will wear down bearings the same on all sides while a drive mounted at lets say 45° angle could increase the load on one side.

_ or l = ok
    \ or /= not so great

Like i said, dont know if this is still true on modern drives.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^^ Nope. It doesn't matter. What you shouldn't do is change the angle while it's running. I put a 7200rpm In my netbook and you can hear the motor complain when you rotate it. That's the only reason I don't put a 15K Hdd in my netbook, the gyroscopic effects will be nearly double, and thus double the chances of a head crash.