Restructuring Forum Layout

DfgDfg Admin
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I am going to be moving things here and then and removing some sections and adding some based on the direction we're going and based on their appeal. It will be another move away from the old structure but it's quite essential. I am honestly working over time on other things and don't really have much time to debate or argue about things but I decided to get some REAL and decent feedback considering that user base that we have here is more mature and far better than what I am used too.

Anyway, I want the new forum layout/structure to be modern and more open and it should be able to appeal to the younger generation but should be broad enough to encompass different subjects. The idea is to have forum section which are current and will be able to generate some discussion or content. We have been following the Totse old layout for quite some time and website like Totse2 and Z are already following some the same structure. It doesn't really yield any better results, in short, the new users wouldn't care about what Totse or our past history, they will come here and look for a section where they can contribute and discuss things.

Any new user who comes in here has to go through at least 33 different sections to find something to post in and even with that thanks to the previous changes things don't really make sense. The problem is, the more we go on, the harder it will be fix this issue. Since, we're still in the process of fixing things, I thought it would be best to tackle this serious issue.

IN SHORT, I am going to make things simpler, change things around and get this place more streamlined and friendlier to use.

Discuss and avoid bitching.

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Yes I agree. The section headings are confusing for new users. Unless you spent some time or grew up with them, they not immediately logical or transparent. The need for lengthy explanations under each title bears this out. Here's my suggestion.

Forum stuff
    Rules
    Announcements
    Suggestion & Feedback
    Introductions

Current Events
    News & Politics
    Money
    Fashion
    Conspiracies
    Trading

Mind and Body
    Physical
    Mental
    Self Defence
    Sex
    Drugs
    Spirituality

Entertainment
    Gaming
    Film & TV
    Music
    Literature
    Art
    Food

Technical
    Computers & Internet
    Guns & Explosives
    Science
    Mechanical
    DIY
    Survival Techniques

Off Topic
    Informal Chat Threads
    Bitch & Moan

I think these headings are self explanatory and require no explanation making the list neater and less cumbersome. I've covered most subjects I think but there is bound to be something I left out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Amazing work, thanks man.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    Wow really?!? Are you going to completely throw totse away? ... Dumb it down and rip out it's heart?
    edited November 2011
    Which bit do you consider the heart?

If you have a suggestion for something being left in you had better make a suggestion before it's too late.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    The alt totse forum names are awesome they're one of the few things that make us unique and piques interest. There should also be a network security/hackIng forum.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    The alt totse forum names are awesome they're one of the few things that make us unique and piques interest. There should also be a network security/hackIng forum.

I agree with that, I did what cippy mentioned, the idea here to have simple, yet unique names which are our own and they must be able to communicate with the new user base otherwise we will see tons of spread out posting. And the heart of Totse is with the user base not with some forum sections.
    edited November 2011
    Point taken Slarti but on the other hand if those names need a whole paragraph of explanation then something is lacking. Maybe keep the forum names and add something like I suggested instead of the descriptions.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    The descriptions are thorough and full of keywords (for both humans and SEO). Three or four sentence forum summaries are not particularly long.

If the day comes were we have to reduce everything to single word descriptions in order to survive, then the best thing we can do is pack up and leave.
    edited November 2011
    Short descriptions are fine if they fit at the side of the title, but explanations of what is acceptable in that section and warnings about posts being moved etc just clutter up what should be an easy method of navigating the forum. These can be put as a sticky at the top of the forum itself along with all the key words for SEO.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    I am not removing short descriptions, they're essential. I am just recommending to change the names.
  • edited November 2011
    Firstly, we need to keep the network insecurity section. Slart wants it, and it's my favorite place on the board :) Not sure about changing the forum titles though, I like the ones we have. They're interesting, they're unique. Going back to the generic names makes us look like a generic old forum to the untrained eye, IMO.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    Wow really?!? Are you going to completely throw totse away? ... Dumb it down and rip out it's heart?

Do you have an alternative suggestion or are you once again just shitting on a thread with nothing to really add?

On topic: I think everyone ITT has made some good points with the exception of jehsiboi who has not made a point at all. I am sure that somewhere in middle lies the answer.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011

Do you have an alternative suggestion or are you once again just shitting on a thread with nothing to really add?

My suggestion is not changing the names as there is nothing wrong with them... They make perfect sense ... S&A, BI, BLTC hell even HB is pretty self explanatory .. Do you dissagee?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    My suggestion is not changing the names as there is nothing wrong with them... They make perfect sense ... S&A, BI, BLTC hell even HB is pretty self explanatory .. Do you dissagee?

This thread is not about whether or not to change the names or structure it is about how to change them. Get it now?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Firstly, we need to keep the network insecurity section. Slart wants it, and it's my favorite place on the board :) Not sure about changing the forum titles though, I like the ones we have. They're interesting, they're unique. Going back to the generic names makes us look like a generic old forum to the untrained eye, IMO.

Not going to throw everything away but I need to reshake things.