Tips on Defending yourself with a stick

juggjugg Regular
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
Using a stick,bat or any weapon in a improvised fashion is always a good idea in a pinch. You always have to remember the golden rule in self defense "you can't tell me I cheated if your dead." That being said here are some pointers that may help.

1. How to hold your improvised weapon. If you are using a stick here are some good pointers. First grab the stick in the fashion shown below.

rotate1107111103.jpg

You take your pinky finger and place it at the bottom of your stick bat etc... whatever you have picked up. Then bring your pinky finger back up to join the rest of your hand like this.

rotate1107111102.jpg

There are a few reasons why this is done. It gives you a striking point at the end of your stick. Also if you are taught right or through self exploration you can use it as a trap in order to disarm or catch attacks.

When using bladed weapons here are a few tips that I was taught a while ago. You can hide a knife in your hand and still have it ready to use by holding it like this.

1107111130.jpg
1107111131.jpg

If you use this method you can actually cut or stab an attacker with the chance of him ever seeing the blade. If you choose to stab said attacker you need to move your finger down the back ridge of the blade or along the side.

1107111131a.jpg

When the blade comes back out you can reposistion your finger where it was if necessary. Always remember when using a knife or defending against a knife you will get cut. The best thing to do is try to control where the cuts happen if possible. One way I was taught to handel a knife for self defense was like this.
1107111144.jpg

One reason the thumb is placed on the back of the blade is for practice. You can practice with out a knife using the thumb as your guide. Also When checking the knife against your body hit your thumb against your self that way when you have a knife in your hand you wont stab your self.

One last tip when when you are fighting someone who has a weapon in hand a good place to try to strike first is the hand holding the weapon. If they cant hold it they cant use it..

There are a hundred ways to stick fight or fight with knives. These are just some tips that I have come across on my way through life.

Here is a chart that I found was fairly useful, but kinda of common sense
1274239561339.gif

Comments

• PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    If I can add to this and hopefully not seem to be taking away from it, if anybody reads this and gets interested you owe it to yourself to practice in real time. You probably already know you should enlist in a proper course to learn these things but at the bare minimum grab a like-minded friend or two. Using basic safety precautions and common sense, practice what you've learned. It's my opinion that you don't actually know anything until you've done it. There are inevitably intricacies that reading material just won't sink into your mind plus your body will follow through with the instructions very awkwardly at first. Good base level ideas for this would be cheap guards for your limbs, joints, body, and maybe face. Augment with foam if you have to. Substitute lethal blades for blunt, smooth sticks or markers. Most importantly - take it seriously. Not like "I have a corncob shoved up my ass! :angry:" seriously, but don't let yourself take hits you wouldn't let yourself take in the real situation just because you're wearing foam.

Even accuracy drills help. You might be surprised how inaccurate you are with a stick especially when you have an adrenaline dump. Pin-point accuracy is never a bad thing and can make disabling the other person easier and faster. A mere inch can make all the difference between knock down and just smacking them upside the head without disabling them.

Make sure you hit SOMETHING so you know what it feels like. I've seen people twirl nunchucks around and then when they swung it at a padded bag, it came back and hit them in the side of the arm because they'd never actually impacted it against anything. You have to know what's going to happen and react appropriately. Giving yourself the edge by grabbing a big stick against someone armed with a knife only to fuck up and hurt yourself because you've never done that before is not just stupid, it could get yourself killed. If you want the extreme end of the spectrum about the importance of knowing how to control and react to your own weapon, take up a lance sometime, saddle up, and hit something. If you haven't done any research, I can almost guarantee you will knock yourself off the horse.

For the record, I'm by no means a pro fighter or high rank in any martial arts. Just hoping to prevent accidents before they happen from what I DO know.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    If you are interested in stick fighting you should find a Arnis or Eskrima school. I'm sure that there are other teachers and ways out there. This is what I was exposed to a while ago. They have Arnis and eskrinma school's all over the place. As far as using pads to practice there is an old saying that goes "steel sharpens steel." I'm not one to wear protective gear because I don't wear it around town. Its the same way I feel about wearing gi's. I don't wear them to the grocery store so I don't practice with them. You usually wont get in a street fight in a martial arts school. There a million ways to train, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Arnis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima

edited November 2011
    True about the pads but I'm thinking of all the people out there with literally zero experience who have no idea what to expect and nobody there to guide them through it. While traditionally martial arts don't use them, there are plenty of effective programs out there that use them heavily because they allow the user to immediately go full force and like the people these programs tend to target - police, military, and security - they don't really have the luxury to learn the basics and come up properly. For them, it's usually a matter of time (except Krav Maga) but for most guys on &T it's a matter of no instructor. Anyone earnestly learning and applying that knowledge in training will probably take the pads off eventually anyhow for the very reasons you mentioned. A great deal of western martial arts were re-established this way so written knowledge can be enough if it's done right.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    That's a good point, Its just a difference in philosophy's. I was taught pain is a good teacher but I also had a teacher.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    This is some cool stuff jugg. I have always been interested in getting some formal training in knife or stick but the closest I have gotten is little bits of Kali mixed in with my Wing Chun training a while back. It would be cool as hell if some of the other martial artists on Totse each posted a thread on their given martial art or fighting experience, kind of compiling a Totse super thread on hand to hand, or it could be a completely retarded idea, who knows.
    edited November 2011
    Certainly. I actually agree with you on that jugg, not trying to go against you by any means just for the record. Merely playing devil's advocate and throwing up the merits of them.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Give it a shot I think its a good idea. Once you get off the beaten path of martial arts you can find some cool stuff. Some weird stuff too. In my opinion the best way to learn how to handle a knife is to learn a system that's weapon aware. Which basically means you take what you do on a daily basis in class and just put a weapon in your hand and do the same thing.

I have seen this guy in person and he is really fun to watch.

There's tons of different teachers out you owe it to your self to find one and have some fun.

There are so many cool styles out there, and some awesome teachers. Sadly though there are allot of egos that can ruin peoples experiences. I live by the expression that there aren't any bad styles just bad students and teachers.
    edited November 2011
    I have always wondered at how effective some of the medieval dagger stuff would be in modern application, it has always drawn my attention when looking at the old fechtbuchs that the dagger work was almost inseparable from grappling, but I often hear people in the R.B.S.D crowd say that grappling with weapons involved is suicide. In your experience what role does standing grappling play in Eskrima, Arnis and knife work in general?
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    I cant really speak a whole lot on Arnis and Eskrima. I dabbled in them not really a ton of experience, but I studied arnis/Kali for a little bit. When we would workout one of the students was a teacher at another school, and we would work out together and practice kali after class.It was very informal, but I didn't notice any grappling in kali. I'm sure there is but I didn't spend a whole lot of time focusing on the sticks. Wish I did though it was great fun, and I see the videos of the guys in California that fight once a year and i get jealous.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the fechtbuchs. I will look into that and see what its about.

I cant really see how you could defend against a knife with grappling. I'm not saying its impossible, and I'm sure there are people who could. I just couldn't imagine grabbing onto someone who has a knife. The way I was taught to use a knife was to fight with out one. Then put one in your hand and do the same thing. That way you don't have to train your muscle memory differently.
    edited November 2011
    There are some good translations of the Fecthbuchs online if you dig a bit, they are medieval combative manuals of sorts, pretty interesting stuff if your into bladed weapons in general and also an interesting look into how knights really fought. I agree that I have a hard time picturing grappling an opponent armed with any sort of weapon really, but a lot of the Fecthbuchs seem to show bladed combat transitioning into grappling at some point and show some really cool ways of getting into a good position to stab. http://www.thearma.org this site has a section with looks at some of the better known fecthbuchs.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    Certainly. I actually agree with you on that jugg, not trying to go against you by any means just for the record. Merely playing devil's advocate and throwing up the merits of them.

No problem at all Psy. I understand your train of thought, and you have a very valid point. Thank you for adding to the conversation.