Xanie.

NamasteNamaste Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
A doctor finally realized I'm a nervous wreck, and decided to help. .25 mg of xanax. Awesome.

So yeah, it's a really low dose, I was wondering what are the chances of it knocking me out. He told me to take it at night, but I'd really like to take some before I go to school Monday to help with the anxiety, but I don't want to end up falling asleep in class or something.

I'm testing it out today, but I'm wondering what y'all think about it...
Is it a bad idea to take some before school on my first day back in two years?

Comments

• FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Some info on your experience with xanax would help.

Low-.75-1mg

some experience. 1mg-2mg

quite experience-2mg-4mg.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    With that dose you should be okay. Try not to drink while your taking those, everyone I know who has done that never remembers that they did either really stupid or really bad things.
  • edited August 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'm testing it out today, but I'm wondering what y'all think about it...
    Is it a bad idea to take some before school on my first day back in two years?

Is this a recreational dose or a therapeutic dose? If this is therapeutic then .25 mg might cause some drowsiness, but it won't knock you out. If this is a recreational dose, it'll most likely knock you out. My toloerance-less bioassay to 1.5 mg. is:

Euphoria
    Inhibited motor functions
    Slowed and less frequent thoughts
    sleep for 7-12 hours once I finally got in the bed. One can kind of nod off but still stay conscious.

Just my experience.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I would assume most would be okay on such a dose, but I have a tendency to be somewhat sensitive to medications, so we'll see how today goes. But I'm like sort of nervous that somehow today could go fine, and then it could end up causing me issues Monday. >.<
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Just do .5 to start out with.

Chances are on a empty stomach .5 will have you relaxed and talkitive, bring some more if you want like an extra .5 if you feel like doseing up again.

Dont bring to many or you may start eating them ike candy, this is my problem. I get to a point where I forget I just ate one so I will eat two more for good measure.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    Shit she's not taking it to get fucked up.

Take the .25mg some day when you don't have to go to school and see what it does for you then go from there.

It should have you relaxed for a few hours but imo klonopin is a far better drug when it comes to GAD. If it's panic attacks you're worried about though than xanax was probably the way to go.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    jator wrote: »
    Shit she's not taking it to get fucked up.

Take the .25mg some day when you don't have to go to school and see what it does for you then go from there.

It should have you relaxed for a few hours but imo klonopin is a far better drug when it comes to GAD. If it's panic attacks you're worried about though than xanax was probably the way to go.

Yeah, I noticed how a lot of people missed that part. XD

And yeah, it's panic attacks mostly that I'm worried about when it comes to school.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    Frick. It like kind of messed me up and it knocked me out for several hours. Shit, is that not like the lowest dose there is?

Uh, do you think it'd have less of an effect if I cut it in half and only used half of one? Or would cutting it not be a good idea?
  • edited August 2010
    Frick. It like kind of messed me up and it knocked me out for several hours. Shit, is that not like the lowest dose there is?

Uh, do you think it'd have less of an effect if I cut it in half and only used half of one? Or would cutting it not be a good idea?

I don't think there is any extended-release form of alprazolam, so I wouldn't be worried. I've split them in half before and I am still alive.

EDIT: Does it say Alprazolam XR or anything like extended release on the bottle? If it's extended release, wait until someone more experienced comes and give further info.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think there is any extended-release form of alprazolam, so I wouldn't be worried. I've split them in half before and I am still alive.

EDIT: Does it say Alprazolam XR or anything like extended release on the bottle? If it's extended release, wait until someone more experienced comes and give further info.

It's not XR, so I assumed it be okay, but I just wanted to check and make sure.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    .5 - .75 until you think you can handle it at higher doses without getting caught

.25 mg actually messes me up a bit, to be honest. I've always been like incredibly sensitive to medications like that. =/ And it has nothing to do with being caught. If anyone thinks I'm high/drunk, eff them, I have a script and every right to use this medicine therapeutically. Just don't think it's a great first impression on my teachers to end up dozing off in their class...
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck. I cut one of those .25 pills in half and it's STILL sort of kicking my ass. This sucks ass. Because I feel okay, but like if I laid my head down or something, I'd be out in an instant, I know. And I feel calm and nice, which would be good for school, but I hate to end up falling asleep on my first day. >.< But then a panic attack on my first day would kind of be shitty, too. =/

What do y'all think I should do?
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010

There definitely are 3mg XR alprazolam tablets floating around. They do seem to be pretty rare though; those sexy green little triangles.

However what you have is not XR and cutting it in half would indeed be a good idea if the original dose was too much.
  • edited August 2010
    Fuck. I cut one of those .25 pills in half and it's STILL sort of kicking my ass. This sucks ass. Because I feel okay, but like if I laid my head down or something, I'd be out in an instant, I know. And I feel calm and nice, which would be good for school, but I hate to end up falling asleep on my first day. >.< But then a panic attack on my first day would kind of be shitty, too. =/

What do y'all think I should do?

Try a quarter? It wouldn't hurt.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    FrY wrote: »
    Some info on your experience with xanax would help.

Low-.75-1mg

some experience. 1mg-2mg

quite experience-2mg-4mg.

I agree completely with this..
  • edited August 2010
    stres wrote: »
    I agree completely with this..

Individual sensitivities may vary.
  • zerozerozerozero Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You're Dr. told you to take it at night? I don't really understand that because Xanax really only lasts a couple of hours and by the time you wake up any anti-anxiety properties would have worn off... at least theoretically, maybe it's different in practice for you. Drs usually give Klonopin to people if they want a benzo to prescribe before bed, as it will last into the next day.

I'd suggest just taking a Xanax with you to school and if you feel like you're going to have a panic attack take a quarter of it like the person above me said. Make sire you bring your prescription too, just in case you get caught with it or something. Although most schools are fucking bullshit and you'd probably get expelled just for having on Xanax on you, high school is stupid fucking bullshit. You could also bring it to the office obviously and work it all out with them.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited August 2010
    Individual sensitivities may vary.

of course, thus why it's a poor idea to ask an internet forum for pharmaceutical advice :p

however ~ my experiences with xannax correlate almost entirely to fry's parameters.. some pretty bad shit happened at the higher doses too.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfrey wrote: »
    You're Dr. told you to take it at night? I don't really understand that because Xanax really only lasts a couple of hours and by the time you wake up any anti-anxiety properties would have worn off... at least theoretically, maybe it's different in practice for you. Drs usually give Klonopin to people if they want a benzo to prescribe before bed, as it will last into the next day.

I'd suggest just taking a Xanax with you to school and if you feel like you're going to have a panic attack take a quarter of it like the person above me said. Make sire you bring your prescription too, just in case you get caught with it or something. Although most schools are fucking bullshit and you'd probably get expelled just for having on Xanax on you, high school is stupid fucking bullshit. You could also bring it to the office obviously and work it all out with them.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd, but idk... I have sleep issues, so I think he was going for sort of using it as a sleep aid as well. Idk. But on the bottle it says to take twice a day as needed.

I'll probably just take some before school, and maybe take some to take at lunch. It seems to last a bit longer than two hours for me, but a bit less than the seven hours I'm at school. If I got caught with it, that'd be crap, but unless they like search me or something, I don't see how they could.
  • edited August 2010
    stres wrote: »
    of course, thus why it's a poor idea to ask an internet forum for pharmaceutical advice :p

However, my experiences with xanax correlate almost entirely to fry's parameters.. some pretty bad shit happened at the higher doses too.

I've never taken more than 2.5 mg at one time. So after that, my opinion is null anyways.