So, who on &T is actually using Linux?

edited September 2010 in Tech & Games
Post in here if you're running linux, I'm curious as to how many people we have on &T who use it.

I'm currently using Ubuntu.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Not presently.
  • edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Not presently.

But do you occasionally run it? :D
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    I use OS X. It's unix, which also makes up Linux.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    But do you occasionally run it? :D

I occasionally ran it several years ago :p
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    I use linux, but to me, it's a secondary OS. I either use it on computers which arn't powerful enough to run Windows Vista or 7 (I refuse to run XP) or when I need / want to run an app which is better / only in Linux. Or when I'm going to be browsing parts of the internet filled with all kinds of viruses and spyware. Or when I want to mess with my computer. Or when I want to make computer-illiterate people think I'm a hacker because I can surf the web from a console.

In short, I use Linux pretty much daily, but generally only when it's more convenient than Windows. That may or may not change in the future.
  • edited September 2010
    I see what you mean. I'm using it while I only use my computer for internet surfing, listening to music, and talking to friends online.

For anything else, I'll boot in Windows.
  • Levo75Levo75 Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I use OS X. It's unix, which also makes up Linux.

GNU is not unix.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2010
    Nuttin but.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Levo75 wrote: »
    GNU is not unix.

http://www.gnu.org/

Read the frontpage's description.
  • Levo75Levo75 Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    http://www.gnu.org/

Read the frontpage's description.

Did you know? The name “GNU” is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not Unix!”

:facepalm:
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    I use Mint.
    edited September 2010
    seanicus wrote: »
    I use Mint.
    • What is mint like?
    • Is it all good to go?
    • Is it reliable?
    • Is it stable?
    I know a few noobs who wanna change from MS.
    I'd like to know the pros and cons on Mint.
    If I give them ubuntu, I know I'd be called up all the time.
    How do you do this, how do you do that????....:angry:
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2010
    Mint is based on ubuntu. It includes essential codecs. Ubuntu pacakages will run on Mint.

They have also modified GNOME to make it one panel + a more (cluttered) windows like start panel. They have some extra artwork too.

There may have been a good case to choose Mint over Ubuntu a couple of releases ago but ubuntu 10.04 is likely to be more attractive to a new linux user than Mint will be.

The codecs included in mint are from the " ubuntu-restricted-extras " package.
    edited September 2010
    Mint is based on ubuntu. It includes essential codecs. Ubuntu pacakages will run on Mint.

They have also modified GNOME to make it one panel + a more (cluttered) windows like start panel. They have some extra artwork too.

There may have been a good case to choose Mint over Ubuntu a couple of releases ago but ubuntu 10.04 is likely to be more attractive to a new linux user than Mint will be.

The codecs included in mint are from the " ubuntu-restricted-extras " package.
    So it's just ubuntu with the " ubuntu-restricted-extras " pre activeted. and some pretty eyecandy. It sounds cluttered.
    I may as well give them ubuntu with an XP theme.
    I'm not a big fan on 10.04 I went back to the previous distro. Sit on it till the next one. I think.
    Thanks Slartibartfast....You fuckin awesome. :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2010
    I'd recommend that you give them Ubuntu, without the Windows theme on it. Ubuntu is really easy to get to grips with.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    From my recent experiences, OpenSuse is very easy to use and light enough to run on older hardware (talking about the LXDE version here). I'm not an ubuntu fan, so that's what I recommend as a newbie distro.
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'd recommend that you give them Ubuntu, without the Windows theme on it. Ubuntu is really easy to get to grips with.
    I and you know ubuntu is nice & easy.:fap:
    That xp theme actually helps the transition to ubuntu. (So I,ve recently discovered giving it to a die hard xp user) :cool:
    I have a theory....if you give a chimpanzee one of those match the block puzzles. It'll have more chance of placing the blocks in the correct hole if it was in it's own natural environment. :rolleyes:
    Amie wrote: »
    From my recent experiences, OpenSuse is very easy to use and light enough to run on older hardware (talking about the LXDE version here). I'm not an ubuntu fan, so that's what I recommend as a newbie distro.
    I like the light stuff...I use puppy as well:thumbsup:
    If it had as much online support as ubuntu. I'd be happy to give it to them. :)
    I don't want them ringing me up every time they turn their puter on.:(