I got a cr48!!!!!!!!!!

HellishHellish Regular
edited February 2011 in Tech & Games
Im so fricken happy. Its the new one with stickers and I never thought I would get it.

Comments

• kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited February 2011
    Errr more info?
    Wtf is a cr48?
    Congratulations anyway.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, so Google is making an OS based on linux using Chrome as the desktop. Its basically living on the web. They are sending out 60000 in the US only with about half out now. Its an atom netbook. So far, its different, but amazing.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    What do you think of it? Was there anything that was easier to do with it than a standard OS? Anything Harder do do?

What do you think is it's top selling point?

I heard they were giving them to devs who could adequately explain what they were going to do with it.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Pix nao.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    Does it have a terminal, can you switch to console and can you log into a root account without jailbreaking the thing? Or is it like mac OSX?

Oh, and I once heard Chrome OS would be using a modified version of Portage, the Gentoo package manager. Is that true?
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited February 2011
    Dude, that's awesome! How did you manage to get one? Applying? I live in the UK so I wasn't able to even try!

Amie, there is a hardware switch by the battery apparently that switches on the root user.

If i'm honest I don't think it will work out, if I'm surfing on the couch I'd use a tablet (the iPad's browser is sex) and if I'm on my desktop I'll use a desktop OS. If I'm on the go I'd either use a tablet or a laptop with local storage. If i'm on the go then I don't have a reliable internet connection so a purely web based solution would be pointless. I just can't see the market they're aiming for.

That said, the device is a piece of history, and I'd love to own one!
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited February 2011
    Basically as stated above, the dev switch is under the battery. Haven't switched it yet. Its interesting to say the least. It does seem limiting though, with not many local apps. I hope google does add the android desktop to CrOS, or at least more versatility. For what I've got, the battery life is around 6 hrs on youtube or 8-9 on webpages without flash.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty good, my laptop (5 years old) lasts about 1h30m and my girlfriends Mac lasts about 6h usually. 8h is awesome!