An amusing insight on Machetes

DeadHamDeadHam Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Man Cave
I was recently in Bolivia, in the tropical lowlands
So Im basically an expert on this

but really, machetes.
In the US of A, we all have this fucked perception on machetes, that they're swords
machete1.jpg

Now, I own a Kukri, so again, imma fuckin expert, but, that shit is sharpened all that way down, from tip to handle, the blade is sharp too (its a KABAR btw)
But, I live in the US of A, so I got that shit online

Down in the lowlands of Bolivia, where people actually use machetes on a daily basis (as common as a lawn mower, Id say), they aint the same

fuck no

down there, only the front 1/3 is sharpened. Every fucking machete I saw, same deal, only the front 1/3 or so. Also, machetes only cost $2USD down there, so never EVER buy some $20 cheap ass machete at Walmart

Comments

• MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    whats the steel on those bolivian machete's though?

i mean, i would expect them to make it from scrap. if lucky, it would be made from something like a truck suspension leaf spring. otherwise, it would be made with some low-medium carbon steel.

a knife of that size is generally used for chopping, so yeah, only the top bit needs to be sharp, but it wouldnt hurt to have it sharpened all the way.
  • VirusVirus Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    You're not an expert at all, and I'd appreciate if you'd stop spreading misinformation around.
  • VirusVirus Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    whats the steel on those bolivian machete's though?

i mean, i would expect them to make it from scrap. if lucky, it would be made from something like a truck suspension leaf spring. otherwise, it would be made with some low-medium carbon steel.

a knife of that size is generally used for chopping, so yeah, only the top bit needs to be sharp, but it wouldnt hurt to have it sharpened all the way.

Mantikore, as for steel in SAE grades that you're familiar with, they fall in the 10XX series.
  • DeadHamDeadHam Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    the steel grade was shit, as in, got dull within a 1/2 day's use.

All Im saying is, that in the US, we are taught to believe that machetes will protect us from evil (you know, zombies and shit) when in reality (as in, where they are practical and actually used) they are cheap-as-shit tools that need to be sharpened after cutting brush for a few hours BUT you can sharpen them on A) other machetes B) concrete or C) an actual grinder, all work, seen it with my own eye(s)
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    The kukri is a better design. More weight forward is noticibly superior.

Then again, if you are dependent on any bladed weapon as you primary means of defense, your asking for trouble.