You may not post attachments

skunkskunk Regular
edited March 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Can we change this :)? I don't see why totse couldn't enable attachments, you could restrict it only to pictures if there is an issue with server load.

Anyway, thought this would be a good idea...

Yeah or nay?
:thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Bad idea, too much potential for legal issues to arise as well as added load to the server. If you want to get files to someone there are a jillion ways to go about it.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    What potential legal issues? Copyright? Everything would be covered under fair use.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Can't do it. It only adds up the variable I have to look for when upgrading VB also it's a bitch to moderate attachments and on top of that, download bandwidth.
    edited March 2011
    What potential legal issues? Copyright? Everything would be covered under fair use.

Tell that to Limewire's attorneys.

https://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=12809
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Filesharing mp3s and videos isn't the same as uploading pictures. I've never heard of any DMCA takedown or anything similar over pictures, videos and songs are another story.
  • edited March 2011
    Filesharing mp3s and videos isn't the same as uploading pictures. I've never heard of any DMCA takedown or anything similar over pictures, videos and songs are another story.

http://www.youn00b.com/ was (to my knowledge) threatened with some kind of legal action as a result of hosting images on their site which didn't belong to them. I have no idea what actually happened though, it was only briefly mentioned.
    edited March 2011
    Skunk, you have not given a reason why you even want this. There have been several good reasons given as to why this is a bad idea. If you can't support your position stop trying to tear down positions that are supported.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    I would like to see attachments enabled so I don't have to visit a third party site when I want to upload a picture here :). If you don't want to turn it on, that's fine this isn't my site so its not my call.

I thought it would be a nice feature for other members as well, it doesn't seem to be a priority though as no one else has said anything prior.
    edited March 2011
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    Just use dropbox.

This. Seriously, it's a great service. I turned off DFG's recommendation of this way back on Zoklet for nearly a year. It's the most stable all-in-one hosting service you could ever need. Would be nice if they gave you 5-10GB of space then I could back up all my critical files without having to use two accounts. But for small hosting and pictures, it's bar-none the best.

10GB of bandwidth a day. That's probably more bandwidth than most web site servers are allowed in a month if you multiplied 10GB x 30 days.
  • edited March 2011
    Personally I use https://uloadr.com/ for all my uploads. Awesome site, fast loading pictures, HTTPS encrypted, secure filenames, and you can automatically delete your images after a certain amount of time if you want.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    This. Seriously, it's a great service. I turned off DFG's recommendation of this way back on Zoklet for nearly a year. It's the most stable all-in-one hosting service you could ever need. Would be nice if they gave you 5-10GB of space then I could back up all my critical files without having to use two accounts. But for small hosting and pictures, it's bar-none the best.

10GB of bandwidth a day. That's probably more bandwidth than most web site servers are allowed in a month if you multiplied 10GB x 30 days.

^This, majority of images used on Totse by me are linked via dropbox. It's simple the BEST!