Comfortably numb...

MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
edited June 2011 in Life
Sometimes I get what I can only describe as a feeling of pleasant numbness in my head.

It happens when I'm listening to someone with a nice voice speaking, especially someone reading from a book or power point out loud. Weirdly, I also get it when I get my hair clippered (but only when its done by someone else). It's something I've had since being a young child; I used to get it in class storytime or reading classes whenever a teacher or child with a mellifluous reading voice took their turn to read a few pages. As a kid I labelled it (in my own mind anyway, this isn't something I've ever shared) a "nice headache", but ache is the wrong word though, it's not painful at all, just a fuzzy sense of numbness.

It's something I had always taken for granted, but recently for whatever reason I haven't heard anyone reading aloud or had my hair cut etc., so I haven't experienced it for a while. I've just watched a series of Hans Rosling videos on youtube and got the feeling big time.

Does anyone else get this? Or do I just have a fucking brain tumour?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    I knew exactly what you are talking about as soon as I read the hair part. Happens to me here and there, and it really is a nice headache.

If it isn't a very discomforting feeling/tingling or pain, you probably don't have to worry about a brain tumor.
  • edited June 2011
    This sounds awfully familiar to me, but I can't recall any moments when I've experienced it. I'll keep an eye out (what a shit phrase to use here) for when it next happens, as I think I know what you mean. Doesn't happen to me when getting my hair cut though - the only thing running through my head then is "holy shit, is that right?"
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    Well I was being a bit facetious with the brain tumour comment, but it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who gets this all the same. I would love to know exactly what this feeling is and why it happens.
    edited June 2011
    Just did some quick research into it. Some people decided to name it 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.' Judging by the lack of scientific articles, I'm assuming the research here is new.

http://www.asmr-research.org/
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh so other people get this too, good to know... Noone i have talked about it with have ever recogniced what i meant.

I usualy get it from music, watching a flickering light (like from a candle flame) and sometimes when getting a haircut.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Just did some quick research into it. Some people decided to name it 'Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.' Judging by the lack of scientific articles, I'm assuming the research here is new.

http://www.asmr-research.org/

Just googled ASMR.

It's also known scientifically as WHS or "Weird Head Syndrome". Apparently another name given to the phenomenon by the internet is "attention-induced head orgasm" which sounds much better. Next time I get my hair cut I'm going to tell the woman that she's just given me an attention-induced head orgasm :D.

I guess it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who experiences this, but somehow I feel less special...
    edited June 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    but somehow I feel less special...

Just remember that for the rest of your life.