Learning German for the first time

NightsideNightside Regular
edited May 2011 in Life
As you can see I speak English, but German seems like a tough language to learn on my own. French I could do since I have a base in it, but German has a unique deep sound to the language.

Should I get someone to teach me it, like a qualified lingust? Or should I try that rosetta stone stuff? I'm unclear of what to do to learn it effectively... preferably have a solid grasp (can converse with others) between 3 months (ideally) to 1 year.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Nightside wrote: »
    As you can see I speak English, but German seems like a tough language to learn on my own. French I could do since I have a base in it, but German has a unique deep sound to the language.

Should I get someone to teach me it, like a qualified lingust? Or should I try that rosetta stone stuff? I'm unclear of what to do to learn it effectively... preferably have a solid grasp (can converse with others) between 3 months (ideally) to 1 year.

I took German classes for 2 years in high school ,Its actually a much easier language to learn than you think. Id recommend getting someone to teach you. Although you can learn the basisc on your own.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2010
    German is surprisingly easy to learn the basics of, however i would suggest getting someone to help you learn it
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, get someone to help you. There are a couple of German speakers hanging around here, I bet (me not being one of them, unfortunately. It really is a beautiful and musical language). Also, look around for forums for learning German, and don't forget to consult with some natives. I would bet that there are also German chat rooms, so don't forget to use those. Also, buy yourself a good dictionary and download some grammar pdfs. Also try immersion strategies when you get to a more advanced level. I have used Rosetta Stone in other languages, and just one lesson will exponentially help, trust me, but try to accompany Rosetta Stone with normal study techniques.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, German is really fairly similar especially in most grammar and word order which should make the acquisition easier. Just pirate Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur and ask questions here.

Also, a linguist is a studier of language, not an expert in a language.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I found the German language, thus far, very easy. There are many rules that are much easier than English, pluralization of words seems very natural and all the words are formed so they flow real easily based on the use of them.

for instance,
    Der = the.
    but Der sounds very masculine, you wouldn't say "Der" when talking about something feminine, so they made;
    Die = The Feminine.

I really like the variants of "the" in the language,
    I've only been taking the language a few months (about 2) but I've gotten very use to speaking and I am able to hold conversations with people, granted, my Typing skills in German are much more lackluster than my actual speaking skill.
    Speaking of that, there is one part that might be challenging to you

the German alphabet, it's essentially Identical.

V is pronounced as more of an "f" sound
    W is pronounced as more of a "v" sound
    you now have to worry about:
    ö (O umlaut)
    ä (A umlaut)
    ü (U umlaut)
    und ß (esset)

Esset is the easiest of them all, it's the sound of two 's'. the same sound the two 's' make in the word "Piss"
    the umlauts are much trickier. ö makes an almost 'r' sound. it's very awkward. it will likely take you a year or more to get it (My German teacher actually can't really even pronounce O umlauts correctly either)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    i took german classes for 2 years in high school ,its actually a much easier language to learn than you think. Id recommend getting someone to teach you. Although you can learn the basisc on your own.

qft.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    BUMP:

I honestly find German a much easier language to speak than English, especially when asking questions. The German language cuts out unnecessary words.

Take for instance, asking about Homework:

English: "Did you do your homework ?"
    German: "Machst du Hausaufgaben?"
    German to English Translation is: "Do you homework?"

The verbs endings are changed to give it a natural flow.

for instance: "I go to school"
    "Ich gehe zur Schule"

"He goes to school"
    "Er geht zur Schule"

"We go to school"
    "Wir gehen zur Schule"

as you can see "Go" or "Gehen" changes depending on the pronoun, giving it a nice flow.

German gets a bad rap because it sounds 'harsh' but honestly, it's a 'cute' (Excuse my homo-eroticism there) sound to me, Example:

"Leise bitte" or "Quiet please" or any word in the language that ends with and 'e' sounds almost romantic (Again, excuse my woman-esc views)
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I downloaded the German ISO for Rosetta stone a couple months back but haven't really started trying to learn yet.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I can't imagine learning any languages without a linguist teaching me, but then again I've never tried. Usually Linguists can explain the "Why"

Computers can't tell you 'why' you do something that way, they just tell you how.