Guy gets fried trying to save girlfriend.

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
And that is the reason you don't go near a vehicle that has crashed into a power pole :facepalm:
Shawn Whiting was electrocuted as he ran from his car to help 19-year-old girlfriend Bronte Fordham who had fatally crashed her car into a power pole.

When Gemma Wicks heard that her childhood friend Bronte Fordham had driven into a power pole, and that Bronte's boyfriend had arrived a half hour later and tripped on fallen wires, electrocuting himself, she didn't believe it.

The story seemed so horrible and so unlikely it had to be a sick prank, Ms Wicks believed.

"One of the boys rang me. I thought he was lying for a little while," she said.

Ms Wicks, 19, said she woke today still convinced it was a nightmare: that 19-year old Bronte and her 20-year-old boyfriend Shawn Whiting didn't really die on the Oxley Highway near Gunnedah, about 420km north east of Sydney, on Saturday.

"I just kind of lost it, I didn't know what to do or anything," she said.

"I knew Shawn for a little while. He loved Bronte to bits."

The deaths of the young couple on Saturday had shocked everyone in Gunnedah, Ms Wicks said.

"It's such a small town. Everyone knew everyone. The whole town is shocked."

Ms Wicks's mother, Michelle, remembered Bronte for her big laugh, her quirky sense and her nurturing nature, despite her age.

"She was just a real mothering sort of person," said Mrs Wicks.

"She looked after everybody, even though she was so young she took everyone under her wing... She just seemed an older person than what she was."

While official memorials are yet to be planned, the Gunnedah and Mullaley communities are turning to Facebook to mourn the young couple - sharing photos and messages and prayers.

The accident is believed to have happened no less than 1km away from Ms Fordham's family property at Mullaley.

Ms Fordham was working behind the bar at the Royal Hotel at Tambar Springs on Saturday night before knocking off at 11pm and heading to the Mullaley Hotel to meet Mr Whiting.

Ms Fordham worked casually at the bar and Mr Whiting was known for his work on rural properties.

Royal hotel publican Brett Gill said the hotel was devastated by the loss of the bright young couple.

"Everybody loved her, she had a good personality, and when we used to have race trips she'd go to the races.

"Shaun was exactly the same too.

"They were good friends that fell in love together.

"They will be terribly missed."

Police will prepared a report on the deaths for the coroner.

Source

Comments

• GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Thats why when you see a casualty, you follow the steps of:
    • Danger
    • Response
    • Airway
    • Breathing
    He obviously forgot the first point.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Its also the reason the emergency services wont go near it until the power company gives the all clear. Being australia it would have been an 11 kV line which can cause step potential. Basically there can be a high voltage between the two points on the ground your feet are touching which can be high enough to kill or injure someone, it is also the reason a field of cattle can be killed by a nearby lightning strike. It becomes more apparent with high voltage as opposed to say 115/230 volt lines.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    • Danger
    • Response
    • Airway
    • Breathing
    Fuck didn't know about this, can someone educate me on responding to these kind of situations, a guide or something like that would be awesome. Sucks to be the BF.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Yes good sir, I'll put one up. Did a life guard course and first aid at work (St. Johns Ambulance) so I know a few things :) I'll include how to do a top to toe survey, the recovery position, and log roll. Thats all you need for an unconscious casualty really without a first aid kit.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    Yes good sir, I'll put one up. Did a life guard course and first aid at work (St. Johns Ambulance) so I know a few things :) I'll include how to do a top to toe survey, the recovery position, and log roll. Thats all you need for an unconscious casualty really without a first aid kit.

Thanks man :)