Urban Explorers: Into The Darkness

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited June 2012 in Spurious Generalities
If you have an interest in Urban Exploration, this video is worth watching.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    Interesting vid dude! Shame we don't have that sorta cool shit here to check out that isn't monitored hard by our government.

An interesting fact!

The old Sylvia Park army camp in Mt Wellington was one of the main supply stores for the war in the Pacific during WW2. Hence the reason there were U-Boats and Japanese sub activity within NZ waters at the time. The US put them up.

I once told this story by an old dude. He said he helped dig some tunnels in Panmure. He believed the tunnel headed towards the water front, he was uncertain because they pulled him off the dig and the army engineers took over. They were one of many private contractors called in. After a portion of the dig was done, every privateer was told to leave the site, including the old guy that told me the story. The rest was supposedly performed by local army engineers.

This is where the story gets interesting.

I worked as a diesel mechanic for a pretty well established contracting company and the old guys that worked there had some interesting work stories to tell. (It's quite cool to listen to the old farts sometimes.....I'm here for you TDR when you wanna talk. :p)

One of them worked for another company previously and he said they were laying waste pipes in Glen Innes (Not far from Panmure) during the 70s. (Sometime) They came across a concrete foundation which wasn't on their layout plans. (Power cable, sewer, water etc ... Anything beneath them type plans) They tried Jack hammering through it, but it was too thick. So the supervisor decided to blow it.

He sent one of his staff down the hole to inspect it and he found old US WW2 jeeps loaded with a lot of unused boxed military shit. There weren’t just a couple of jeeps either. He reckoned the guy was under there for an hour jumping over jeeps and still going strong, until the local community popo pulled up and told him to get his guy out of the tunnel. The supervisor told the pig he had no choice but to go through it, or it would fuck up the job …. Nek Minute….Some government suit pulls up claiming to be S.I.S. and tells him if he doesn’t tell his guy to get out of there, he knows some important people who would pretty much fuck the business up.

What I couldn’t figure out is. How the fuck did they know the guy was down there in the first place considering there were no alarms during the time those tunnels were sealed. Except for maybe some loose bottles on a piece of string. Apparently they were notified pretty quickly. And I reckon those tunnels start at the camps and end at the waterfront. That's what I reckon anyways.

During the time I worked with the old guy. He never really came across as a blow arse if you know what I mean!
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited June 2012
    Lets find this shit, straight up. I love anything underground. Since I was a kid I dug tunnels.

Would be sweet to grab some rifles too lol
  • edited June 2012
    If you're looking for Urban Exploration and you're in the UK, you should check out 28 Days Later. It's the best Urban Exploration website/community I've seen as of yet, and they cover everything from abandoned buildings to underground tunnels, sewers and culverts. Believe me when I say it literally sucks the time out of your day, you can click through endless exploration reports and you won't get bored.

Check it out.
    edited June 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    If you're looking for Urban Exploration and you're in the UK, you should check out 28 Days Later. It's the best Urban Exploration website/community I've seen as of yet, and they cover everything from abandoned buildings to underground tunnels, sewers and culverts. Believe me when I say it literally sucks the time out of your day, you can click through endless exploration reports and you won't get bored.

Check it out.
    That's a pretty fucking interesting forum you got thar bro. Bookmrked to read later...:cool:

Oh yah! I forgot.
    I worked for a guy who collects and restores chevs. He has a 39, 37, 56, 74 etcblah. His favorites are the prewar. He mentioned there were many underground carparks in Auckland city. To fill them and build on top of them would have been a big fail because the weight of the structures built, would've sunk and fucked the buildings. So they built around them.

During (Here I go again, starting to sound like an old cunt from the 30s and 40s) WW2. Some of those drafted who never had family, or travelled up to inlist, or didn't trust anyone enough to leave them their cars. Parked them in these carparks until they returned. There were a lot who never returned.

Whether it was to pick the economy up again. (There was a depression at the time & people needed to buy new shit) or out of respect is unknown. But they left the cars under there and built around the carparks.

Some of those buildings could possibly hold access to the carparks, be cool to find out because I know they won't be as monitored as those tunnels. :cool:
  • edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    That's a pretty fucking interesting forum you got thar bro. Bookmrked to read later...:cool:

Oh yah! I forgot.
    I worked for a guy who collects and restores chevs. He has a 39, 37, 56, 74 etcblah. His favorites are the prewar. He mentioned there were many underground carparks in Auckland city. To fill them and build on top of them would have been a big fail because the weight of the structures built, would've sunk and fucked the buildings. So they built around them.

During (Here I go again, starting to sound like an old cunt from the 30s and 40s) WW2. Some of those drafted who never had family, or travelled up to inlist, or didn't trust anyone enough to leave them their cars. Parked them in these carparks until they returned. There were a lot who never returned.

Whether it was to pick the economy up again. (There was a depression at the time & people needed to buy new shit) or out of respect is unknown. But they left the cars under there and built around the carparks.

Some of those buildings could possibly hold access to the carparks, be cool to find out because I know they won't be as monitored as those tunnels. :cool:

Holy fuck.

You NEED to find out what really lies down there. Imagine finding a car park full of old cars...
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Just got back from doing some recon at the nearby abandoned psychiatric hospital. Shit was insane and gave me the creeps. That and the very near miss with the on site security. Will write about it tomorrow as i need to sleep.
  • edited June 2012
    Just got back from doing some recon at the nearby abandoned psychiatric hospital. Shit was insane and gave me the creeps. That and the very near miss with the on site security. Will write about it tomorrow as i need to sleep.

Please tell me you got some pictures?

I explored an abandoned house the other day, just waiting for my friend to send me his pictures which I can combine with mine and make a thread out of it :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I love Urbex and have had this film for many years. Really interesting watch for both newcomers and long-time explorers alike. I always documented my (mostly) lone explores. Got a photo of me up on some scaffolding at 3am and shortly after was almost caught by the Police as some pisshead wandered onto the building site:facepalm:
  • edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I love Urbex and have had this film for many years. Really interesting watch for both newcomers and long-time explorers alike. I always documented my (mostly) lone explores. Got a photo of me up on some scaffolding at 3am and shortly after was almost caught by the Police as some pisshead wandered onto the building site:facepalm:

You know how much I love hearing that story. By the way, did you post that on tM? I swear I remember seeing that thread somewhere other than Totse.
    edited June 2012
    Please tell me you got some pictures?

I got a couple of the security office but couldn't get near the buildings as the guards are jumpy as fuck. Supposedly some brazen mofo tried to make off with two water heaters last week. I'm heading back sometime next week so I'll try to get some of the buildings then. Hopefully security settles the fuck down by then. I have a video some where that i made when driving past the place, unfortunately it doesn't show just how large the place is. Will take a couple nights to explore properly.

I really need a new camera, mine takes shit photos in the dark. Tonight was more about assessing the level of security around the hospital.
    edited June 2012
    You know how much I love hearing that story. By the way, did you post that on tM? I swear I remember seeing that thread somewhere other than Totse.

I may have done. I know I posted about them on the no.surgen one (the URL escaped me) but yeah that and the more legal ones were posted on 28DL. So much so I even have a keyring thingymadoodle from the site as I met a few members IRL.
  • edited June 2012
    I may have done. I know I posted about them on the no.surgen one (the URL escaped me) but yeah that and the more legal ones were posted on 28DL. So much so I even have a keyring thingymadoodle from the site as I met a few members IRL.

The site you are on about was nosurgen.cc or something. It's now located at http://night-ops.net/ :D Would you mind linking me to the ones on 28DL? Very interested!
    edited June 2012
    I got a couple of the security office but couldn't get near the buildings as the guards are jumpy as fuck. Supposedly some brazen mofo tried to make off with two water heaters last week. I'm heading back sometime next week so I'll try to get some of the buildings then. Hopefully security settles the fuck down by then. I have a video some where that i made when driving past the place, unfortunately it doesn't show just how large the place is. Will take a couple nights to explore properly.

I really need a new camera, mine takes shit photos in the dark. Tonight was more about assessing the level of security around the hospital.

Someone ripped off my nieghbours hot water cylinder and crawled under her house and flleced the copper pipes. She'd been gone for a couple of months. I must have been out at the time and must have taken my dog with me. :mad:
    edited June 2012
    If you are interested, here is the link to some photos of the hospital taken by another local photographer. Link
    edited June 2012
    If you are interested, here is the link to some photos of the hospital taken by another local photographer. Link
    Any of King Seat and Lake Alice anywhere?
    edited June 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Any of King Seat and Lake Alice anywhere?

This is all I could find on the Lake Alice hospital. I'm sure there may be others on that site but I haven't had a proper look yet.
    edited June 2012
    The site you are on about was nosurgen.cc or something. It's now located at http://night-ops.net/ :D Would you mind linking me to the ones on 28DL? Very interested!

Unfortunately I'm no longer a member so can't get forum access :( but my username is still the same there if you can get there. Last time I tried it was referral based and at the Admin/Mod discretion due to news exposure.
  • edited June 2012
    Unfortunately I'm no longer a member so can't get forum access :( but my username is still the same there if you can get there. Last time I tried it was referral based and at the Admin/Mod discretion due to news exposure.

Ah. NOnet is still members only, yeah. Can't remember my login details to be honest! What about the stuff on 28DL? That's not members only, I usually search it with Google dorks as it's easier than using the search bar :D