Recent Concert Attendance

kaloosakaloosa Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What's the most recent concert/show you've attended? Give a little review of it so we can get some insight into the musical taste of our fellow totseans.

For me, I saw The American Carnage Tour - Featuring Slayer and Megadeth playing "Seasons in the Abyss" and "Rust in Peace" respectively for their 20th Anniversaries. Also playing was Testament.

Testament played first and actually put on a pretty decent set. Obviously, it was mostly older songs that were played (that's what people want to hear, the gems that sparked the fandom).

Megadeth rocked the shit out it. I've seen live videos of Megadeth and, for the most part, Dave Mustaine's vocals kinda sucked. Maybe it was actually being there, but he was really good. The problem with playing an album in its entirety is that you don't always know every song on it. Luckily, the "second set" they played (after playing "Rust in Peace") was just phenomenal. On a side note, Mustaine hasn't aged well. He's starting to pull a Keith Richards, in my opinion.

Slayer....Unfortunately, I suffered from "Seasons in the Abyss" just as I did with "Rust in Peace." I didn't know every single song off of it. As it turns out, I only know one song off it. The whole band lacked the energy I saw them have last year during the Mayhem Festival. I believe it has much to do with Tom Araya's back surgery some months back. The band usually follows their leader, and if he's doing shitty, it's difficult for the rest to shine. The music was pretty dull and seemed to be played by a band that doesn't want to be there. But, what can you expect from a band that doesn't believe they'll be around much longer. I like Slayer, but this wasn't them.

So, now that I got the ball rolling, what about you guys?

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    John Mayer. He rocked my shit.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited September 2010
    Om

A very unique experience. The other notable act before Om was Lichens...The guy was freakin' amazing. Just sits there with a microphone and begins looping these bizarre, but beautiful vocal noises (think I should note I dropped acid just before this) until the whole place begins to swell with a strange energy. I noticed every single person in the club was sitting on the ground by about halfway through. Utterly entranced...Guy looked like he was in another world when performing. Cannot be accurately described in words the energy and atmosphere this one man managed to put out.

Om of course were fucking excellent. Played every song I wanted to hear. Almost every song from God Is Good including a few others like At Giza and To The Shrinebuilder...Crowd was fairly small. Got to enjoy it from right up close. Drums were damn explosive and the bass was like being covered in a thick, warm liquid. Lichens also performed with them the whole set so it was 3 of them on stage. He did the extra guitar, vocals and played some other instruments parts through a keyboard. The three of them had a remarkable presence in the room and the entire show was a feat I fear I may never experience again...

One of the greatest shows I've ever seen and it was only $35. I'd pay hundreds of dollars to do it again.
  • edited September 2010
    I can't recall too well, but I think the last concert I went to was Goldie Lookin' Chain - a comedy rap group from Newport, Wales. They put on a hilarious show, brilliant in every way. These guys are just pure genius. Every other song is about smoking weed, doing girls up the ass or a strange mixture of the two.

Ahhhh, hilarious.