Why are Macs better for Graphic Design?

SkittlesSkittles Regular
edited October 2010 in Life
So I've just landed myself a new job at a graphic design agency where they all use Macs. When I look at the processing power I see they're pretty similar to PCs I've used before, but nevertheless wherever I go Macs always seem to be the industry standard for graphic design. Does anyone know why this is? What is the reason they get chosen over PCs?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Because its the only comeback Mac users have when asked the question "Why do you own a Mac?"... I think.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Actually Macs were marketed that way and since they're simple and rarely require Windows level maintenance most designers prefer them. Also, Mac does have a very nice collection of editions suites and packages. It feels like more work oriented than Windows.

Power wise, they're the same and now thanks to boot camp and Apple, Intel partnership anyone can Install Mac OS on other systems.

In short they're now an industry standard and people use them because they're easy to maintain.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking of getting one as my old craptop just isn't cutting it anymore. Reckon this seems decent? $2000 (NZ) seems alright for a computer. I'm mainly wanting to upgrade because Flash always kills the computer I have now :angry:

If I get a Mac do I have to be like picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=2356 all the time?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one as my old craptop just isn't cutting it anymore. Reckon this seems decent? $2000 (NZ) seems alright for a computer. I'm mainly wanting to upgrade because Flash always kills the computer I have now :angry:

If I get a Mac do I have to be like picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=2356 all the time?

I avoid using Flash in any website, I find it best to exploit CSS as much as possible. And thanks to HTML5 and CSS3 [2.1] you can now add many more things. Also, flash is heavy and don't forget Jquery! But then again I suck at Graphic Designing :(
    edited October 2010
    Some of the companies specifically want Flash ads, or sometimes a design will just suit Flash better. I'm not a big fan of Flash websites either, but if client wants it and they're spending a few thousand on their branding then why not :p
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Some of the companies specifically want Flash ads, or sometimes a design will just suit Flash better. I'm not a big fan of Flash websites either, but if client wants it and they're spending a few thousand on their branding then why not :p

*Thinks about hijacking skittles*

:p

I should learn flash anyway.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    So I've just landed myself a new job at a graphic design agency where they all use Macs. When I look at the processing power I see they're pretty similar to PCs I've used before, but nevertheless wherever I go Macs always seem to be the industry standard for graphic design. Does anyone know why this is? What is the reason they get chosen over PCs?

AFAIK it's because there's a lot of software for it that's Mac only. That's the only thing I hear from people who do video editing, etc. Final Cut, Logic Pro, and some other programs are Mac only. I know a guy who's going to buy a macbook pro simply because he has to use Final Cut.

As for graphic design, it's either for the software, difficulty of totally fucking the office computers, or it's a throwback to some time when macs were "good for graphic design." Honestly I don't know why there would be any difference aside from software.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Or it's a throwback to some time when macs were "good for graphic design." Honestly I don't know why there would be any difference aside from software.

That's what I thought. Macs used to be the best for graphic design, but now its kind of leveled out and its just all that history of using a Mac that has run through to today.

To me, Macs seem to be able to open a lot of programs at once. I can have like 20 programs open at once and it still runs smoothly. Even switching back and fourth between them is very fast, whereas you try open that many programs on a PC and you'll be fucked. It seems as if PCs get 'tunnel-visioned.' Like if I was working on Photoshop for an hour then switched to Flash it would take a while for the computer to pull all the processing out of Photoshop and into Flash, whereas a Mac seems to be able to run them all consecutively.

Either way, I've never had a Mac before. It will be an interesting (possibly frustrating) change.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    Macs are far more easier to maintain when compared to PCs.

They don't bug you on needing an AV, they don't have a UAC, and are overall rather simple.

To add on, the screen is a killer and it requires far less cables than a PC, not to mention Adobe programs are less buggy on it. I had the MSCS5 installed on Win7 and it kept exiting because of some invalid key. Similar thing occurred to Vista but it cleared up. Might just be a coincidence, but I've had far less trouble with my 27" iMac than with my PC.
    edited October 2010
    That's what I thought. Macs used to be the best for graphic design, but now its kind of leveled out and its just all that history of using a Mac that has run through to today.

To me, Macs seem to be able to open a lot of programs at once. I can have like 20 programs open at once and it still runs smoothly. Even switching back and fourth between them is very fast, whereas you try open that many programs on a PC and you'll be fucked. It seems as if PCs get 'tunnel-visioned.' Like if I was working on Photoshop for an hour then switched to Flash it would take a while for the computer to pull all the processing out of Photoshop and into Flash, whereas a Mac seems to be able to run them all consecutively.

Either way, I've never had a Mac before. It will be an interesting (possibly frustrating) change.

Maybe it's just the way the OS handles the programs. On my core i5 laptop I can have tons of shit open and there's no issue, but the i5 is a nice processor.

OS X does have a sort of UAC, though. Whenever you want to install anything you have to enter your password. At least that's how mine is set up. That's probably a security thing I could change. The root user doesn't have to enter a password.

They are easier to maintain, that's for sure. My iMac from '04 doesn't require any maintenance aside from running Cocktail every so often.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    I would never get a mac as my home computer. There are just so many more software options and torrent cracks for windows.
    edited October 2010
    For the most part I don't do much with my computers. I did pretty much the same stuff on my imac as I do now on my laptop. The only difference is my laptop isn't 6 years old so it can handle flash video and hd stuff. There's tons of shit to torrent for macs, but most of it is useless unless you really want to use Logic Pro, Final Cut Studio or photoshop. I still rip and burn movies, listen to music and surf the web on my imac.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    There's tons of shit to torrent for macs, but most of it is useless unless you really want to use Logic Pro, Final Cut Studio or photoshop. I still rip and burn movies, listen to music and surf the web on my imac.

Good to know. I don't think I've ever legitimately bought software for my computers asides from a few games I play online. Even If Macs don't have as many torrents and stuff, they can still run everything in BootCamp right? Anyone had experience using Windows on a Mac?
    edited October 2010
    I have before, but it's kind of slow. A beef I have with macs are that they are overpriced underpowered hardware.

Look at the $2000 computer you posted.
    3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor
    500GB hard drive
    4GB memory
    256MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics
    21.5-inch widescreen display
    8 x speed SuperDrive

Now for $2000 you could build a PC way more powerful than that.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    I paid $2,600 for mine including taxes.

I know I could've gotten some beast of a compute, but my iMac's fun. :D
    edited October 2010
    For the price they're extremely underpowered. But of course fanbois will say "but they run faster than windoze comps!!"

Maybe. My old imac is still pretty fast, but I don't buy the argument. For $2000 you could build a godly pc.
    edited October 2010
    I have before, but it's kind of slow. A beef I have with macs are that they are overpriced underpowered hardware.

Look at the $2000 computer you posted.

Now for $2000 you could build a PC way more powerful than that.

Yeah that's why I initially got a PC. I think if the majority of the industry I work in use Macs then it will just be easier. Plus Macs look sexy.
    edited October 2010
    You are going to be working with image files on photoshop and illustrator? It doesn't matter, or make it easier if you have a PC then, as photoshop on a mac and photoshop and illustrator on a PC both read/write the same stuff. Just put the files on a FAT32 formatted USB stick and your golden.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    I hear Mac is awesome for sound editing as well.
    Congratz on the new job Skittles.:)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2010
    Nobody ITT has given the correct answer to this question. So here it is...

To understand why MAC is the prefered platform for graphic design you must understand something of the history of PC hardware (x86) architecture vs that of MAC hardware architecture. All PC hardware was based of the original IBM x86 architecture which had certain memory limitations as follows.

conventional memory

The first 640 kilobytes of an IBM PC's memory. Prior to EMS, XMS, and
    HMA, real mode application could use only this part of the memory.

base memory

The lowest 640 kilobytes of memory in an IBM PC-compatible computer
    running MS-DOS. Other PC operating systems can usually compensate and
    "ignore" the fact that there is a 640K limit to base memory. This was
    put in place because the original CPU - the Intel 8088 - could only
    access one megabyte of memory, and IBM wanted to reserve the upper
    384KB for device drivers. The high memory area (HMA) lies above 640KB
    and can be accessed on MS-DOS computers that have an A20 handler.

High DOS Area

upper memory blocks (UMB) - A section of memory in the high DOS area
    (the 384K address space between 640K and 1MB). Some such blocks are
    used to store BIOS (video card and PC motherboard firmware, etc.), and
    some are free. Of the 384K UMB; 128K is earmarked for video RAM, but
    on most systems 32K of that video RAM will remain empty. Typically,
    system ROM takes 64K (128K on PS/2s), and video adapter ROM takes 32K.
    A typical non-PS/2 system with VGA video and no other adapter
    interfaces will have 192K of unused UMB.

Due to these memory limitations in early to mid PC hardware development the PC had severe limitations processing the vast amounts of data required by graphic design.

The MAC on the other hand developed hardware architecture based on a Motorola CPU which did not suffer from the base/conventional/High DOS memory configuration limitations. This meant that MAC graphic design software could access the full amount of physical memory (unlike PC software). Until Vista a PC still suffered from some of these limitations due to the HAL maintaining backwards comparability in order to be capable of running legacy software.

Since the Intel/Apple partnership and the advent of a mainstream PC OS (Vista) that does not address memory in the aforementioned limiting fashion there is no real hardware advantage enjoyed by the MAC over the PC platform for the purpose of graphic design. However the graphic design industry is firmly steeped in the MAC culture as it was born and raised on this platform. Therefore the leading graphic designers in this world use MACs and if you want to be accepted and succeed in that industry you will learn to work on a MAC.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    These days the only real advantage of a mac is its Unix core and HFS. Things like memory management and resource handling are better with the Unix approach.

also, HFS+ is significantly better than any other filesystem at handling and storing large files.