Who the hell knows some History shit?

jarkofjarkof Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So guess what I have more history shit to get done and I have no idea how to answer these essays. So I come to totse for help because well there are a lot of government haters here that just plain out know there shit. So here are the questions I have to answer for my final tomorrow and i need some feedback.

1. How was the traditional laissez-faire capitalism as an economic and a political system modified in the U.S., and abandoned in Italy and Germany during the Great Depression? What justified these modification and abandonment?

2. What did Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev, and Mikhail Gorbachev do to strengthen soviet state and its international position? How did there policies affect the soviet economy, political system, and international relation with the capitalist world?

3. Explain the differences as well as the similarities between how WWII broke out in Europe and how it broke out in Asia and the Pacific?

4. What developments between 1945 and 1950 led to the collapse of WWII alliance between the Soviet Union and the United States and the beginning of the cold war? How can you relate the end of the cold war with the end of bipolar world and acceleration globalization?

5. What is decolonization? How did the policies of the colonial powers, WWII, the native leadership, and the Cold War affect the decolonization movement in India, Ghana, Palestine, and Vietnam?

Lets see what ya got.

Comments

• DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    Fuck man. This is 9th grade shit. I'll attempt some.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited December 2010
    I was really hoping of all people Dirty Sanchez would come to this thread and yeah 9th grade it may be. But I went to a stupid school and now in college I dont know how to answer them. And I was hoping for some discussion.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    Try Z0klet.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    2. What did Joseph Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev, and Mikhail Gorbachev do to strengthen soviet state and its international position? How did there policies affect the soviet economy, political system, and international relation with the capitalist world?

The short version for Stalin is that he turned a backwards agrarian country into a superpower by the end of his reign. He modernized the industry and made sure everyone had proper health care and education. He industrialized Russia through a series of 5 year plans. This industrialization is the reason in my opinion they were able to beat Germany in WW2. Before Stalin proper hospitals were almost unheard of so by the end of his reign in Almost every way he Modernized Russia.

As for Nikita Khrushchev he is largely responsible for the USSR becoming a Nuclear power. He ramped up their nuclear program and built up the Military to the point they were actually a huge threat to the US. He was also responsible for the Russian space program which accomplished so much. He increased the education quality of the USSR. He was also responsible for the "de stalinization":mad: of Russia as far as the purges and some other policies.

Mikhail Gorbachev did very little good for the USSR. He was partially responsible for the complete collapse of the soviet union with his Perestroika and Glasnost programs which liberalized the economy and provided more transparency in the government and more free speech. This combined with the rise of Nationalism helped seal the fate of the USSR. In this I mainly covered internal but I'll cover how this effected the USSR internationally in a separate post later tonight if you want.
    edited December 2010
    3. Explain the differences as well as the similarities between how WWII broke out in Europe and how it broke out in Asia and the Pacific?

Ok I guess I'll just explain how both broke out and that should answer the question as to the similarities and differences. I'm doing this all from memory so dates may be off occasionally.

Japan
    Japan itself in the very early 1930's was running low on natural resources of their own and they had recently adopted a very militaristic form of government. In the schools kids were treated like in the military and prepared for war. War dominated Japanese society at the time. Very early on they annexed Manchuria which was rich in resources but then they began to focus China.

At the time china was divided among different warlords. The biggest threat to the Japanese was Nationalist China. Anyway they invaded and took most of China. This caused the US and it's allies to form an embargo called the ABCD line which the Japanese viewed as a direct provocation and decided to attack Pearl harbor. By attacking pearl harbor their hope was that they could cripple the US navy and take the phillipines and with a series of early defeats they hoped to force America into an agreement with them. Thats the short version of it.

European theater
    The roots of this conflict were a result of World war 1 and the treaty of Versailles which had stripped Germany of much of it's land and forced Germany to pay an unpayable debt for the great war. This lead to a strong feeling of Nationalism and a desire for revenge.

Germany desired to expand and create more "living space". At the time apeasment was the rule in Europe so Germany Annexed Austria and Czechoslovakia with no resistance from the allied powers. They also occupied the Rhineland and had pushed it as far as the Allies would allow. At this time France and I believe Britain but I may be wrong had guaranteed the independence of Poland. So when Germany demanded Poland they refused feeling empowered by their allies. Germany invaded and in 1939 and World war 2 was on.

This is a very basic overview but as you can see they both started from similar reasons. If you need more specifics let me know.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited December 2010
    This is why I post on here. Because I know people really know there shit. Unfortunately for question 2 I actually know all that about them but I dont know how to answer the second part to the question and as for Mikhail he actually did end up accomplishing nothing in the end but he actually had the cold war at an end until Regan took office with his super anti communistic plans. That and all the reforms happening all around him and the quickly unraveling of the rest of the communist countries made it impossible for him to do much. The main thing I need for that one was the second part. But you really do know your shit. That was like to the book what you said.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    It's 6am here but I will ive you some pointers.

1. No fucking clue

2. Over time the USSR became more open to Western ideas and internal pressures within the Eastern European states meant they broke away. To strengthen Communism? 5 year plans, relentless propaganda, the idea of a "permanent revolution".

3. In the Pacific, these nations were geographically a long way from Europe. War broke out a few years before 1939, and was seen as a result of Japan's Imperialist Modernity drive. In Europe it was seen as the resurgence of Germany's modernity drive. In short - 1 nation was new on the scene, and the other was born of being castrated, with a lot of pissed off people and a guy willing to risk it all. Japan was just a Militaristic state who wanted to be on the world stage.

4. Germany. Berlin blockade. Creation of the Berlin Wall. Space race/Tech.

5. Over time nations saw and heard (through popular media) of other nations and groups demanding freedoms. It was just a time of coming to realise just how shit it was to live under a Colonial power. I would go into Political Correctness but know nothing about it. Human rights and the rise of "giving a shit" and not being stuck in a 19th Century mindset were a big factor.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited December 2010
    And as well on the second one that was very helpful. I kinda knew most of it but the layout helped put it together to answer the question. But really you are savin my ass here. You have no idea.
    edited December 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    This is why I post on here. Because I know people really know there shit. Unfortunately for question 2 I actually know all that about them but I dont know how to answer the second part to the question and as for Mikhail he actually did end up accomplishing nothing in the end but he actually had the cold war at an end until Regan took office with his super anti communistic plans. That and all the reforms happening all around him and the quickly unraveling of the rest of the communist countries made it impossible for him to do much. The main thing I need for that one was the second part. But you really do know your shit. That was like to the book what you said.

Unfortunately 2 and 3 are all I'll be able to tell you about in detail and possibly 4.I've read just about every book I could get on the USSR and WW2 so I'm pretty good with that. I actually just started Khrushchev's memoirs a couple days ago.

EDIT: Actually fuck it I'll expand on the second part right now:hai:
    How did there policies affect the soviet economy, political system, and international relation with the capitalist world?

Stalin
    Asi mentioned in the previous post his policies modernized Russia so as far as the economy went there was a major modernization and almost an "industrial revolution" for them. The 5 year plans ended up collectivizing the farms and the agriculture. The effect this had would appear negative because collectivization failed and caused a famine. The truth is though that this was not Stalins fault in actuality the kulaks destroyed their own crops and fields out of protest so as far as Stalin himself negatively effecting the economy with that is debatable.

His policies effected the political system by cracking down on freedom of speech religion and press. Most of the power was invested in Stalin himself and their was a massive cult of personality.

Khrushchev
    When Khrushchev came to power there was a radical change in policies and the Stalin era was killed. The power was less centralized and the politburo had more say under Khrushchev.

Khrushchevs influence on Capitalist nations and Communist nations relations was massive. He built up the army advanced the space program and was all around very bold on the international scene. Khrushchev was the first one to implement policies that truly allowed the USSR to compete with the western world. For instance militarily where as Stalin had outdated ideas Khrushchev focused on the future with Nukes and the air force. Khrushchev was the first Soviet leader to really strike fear in the heart of America and said at the UN "We will bury you".

Gorbachev
    I already went into Gorbachev's policy on the economy with the Perestroika program that attempted to reverse the collapsing economy.

The way he effected Nato Soviet relations was by being the one to actually work with the west. He worked and held talks with Reagan and helped to end the cold war by taking a less militant approach on the international level. Hopefully this answered the question some for you once again though this is from memory so some dates and small things may be off.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Iam just starting to learn History so I can't help you. I am right now in the Early ages around 306 AD and I am listening about Rome. I am using TTC lectures btw.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I fucking pwn3d the shit out of that test so thanks goes to dirty sanchez.
  • edited December 2010
    Fuck yeah! TOTSE - Helping students blag their way through exams since whenever Jarkof passed his test.
    edited December 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    Well I fucking pwn3d the shit out of that test so thanks goes to dirty sanchez.

Glad I could be of service:)