Update the Textfiles

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited December 2010 in Help and Suggestions
I thought about this while reading dfg's bomb thread, and I posted this there:

Read this: http://www.totse.info/en/bad_ideas/ka_fucking_boom/partialreviewo170773.html

That review is pretty old, but it's the only review there is in the whole ka-fucking-boom textfile section. Jeff Hunter wasn't a chemist and I don't think he gave a shit whether or not the textfiles were accurate. Probably there are tons in there that don't work. We need people to go through and either validate they're "safe" to use or put them in a folder for unreliable text files.

A lot of the textfiles are totally outdated. The hacking and phreaking ones are pretty much worthless at this point. We need new textfiles that cover relevant topics, and we need to move the old, useless, and non-working ones to a "vintage" subfolder where they can sit and people can access them and know that they're not really useful anymore.

We need people who know about bombs, hacking, drugs, etc., to go through the text files and see which ones are accurate and which ones are shit. Shit ones need to be put together in a folder, and good ones should be left where they are. Our new files should be added to the old ones.

We don't want inaccurate shit in the textfiles. No one will trust them if some are flat out wrong or just dangerous. We want real information, not disinformation.

This project will require people who know about chemistry, electronics, hacking, drugs and everything else in the textfiles to go through and review them all. It'll take a long time, and we'll probably need a lot of people to help out.

Thoughts?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    I would prefer using those old guides and updating them for CMS. It's just a copy paste job and it's a lot faster. The Totse Text-Files can't be edited easily. CMS ones can.

If you're willing to help you will get contributor access.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    That's fine, but my point was more that a lot of the textfiles are shit and need to be separated from the good ones. No one, aside from that ONE guy who reviewed some of the files, has gone through the old textfiles and determined whether or not they'll even work.

I'm saying that before bothering with putting them in the CMS, we need to make sure they're worthwhile. The shit ones can stay in a subfolder.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Currently I don't think anyone is working on it. We already have tons of content that needs to go on CMS. Hit the editorial section and start picking up prefixes and start adding content to CMS.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    K. I guess this project will have to wait.
  • edited December 2010
    This is a good idea, definitely one to add to the checklist if we actually have one. We really need to fix up all the info on this place, tweak it up a bit.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    we need a better way to organize the text files. (copied from my bitch thread):
    So here's my plan. we could have 6 categories, and <== those tabs would link to regular webpages (css and html). On these pages we would have subcategory links. Each post is tagged with one of these subcategories, and those links would be searches on the cms for that tag. The searches can either be google ones or some built in cms thing, but the search result page would have only titles and maybe a short description, no images that take up the whole thing. A custom google would search would be best.