dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited December 2010 in Life
Shin of beef in spicy sauce

3lb shin of beef cut in about ¾ of an inch thick
Salt and ground black pepper
2 thumb-sized pieces of root ginger peel and slice to about 3mm
2 hot chillies, chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 tbsp redcurrant jelly (other jellies can be used, have used cranberry)
2 tbsp cider vinegar
About a pint of really good quality unsweetened apple juice – I have used a mix of apple and pear juice and it worked well.
¼ pint of 150ml soy sauce
Ground nut oil for frying

Season the meat with the salt and pepper and then brown the meat in metal caserole on the hob. If your caserole is small, do it in batches so you can get a good browning going. If you only have an earthenware caserole, brown the meat in a frying pan.
Reduce the heat in the caserole or frying pan and add the chilli, ginger and garlic. You want it to soften but not take any colour. Add the rest of the ingrediants and stir to disolve the jelly. You can cook on the hob or in the oven – you want it on a really low boil. Cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours. The meat will be falling to pieces when done, you will be able to chop it apart with a spoon.
Serve with rice noodles and steamed pac choi and matchstick carrots.

If you go to your local chinese take away, you can buy this – my local calls it fillet steak in spicy sauce.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    English to English translation;
    shin=shank
    hob=stovetop
    casserole=large lidded pot, or lidded ceramic casserole dish(if you use this, brown the beef in a separate metal pan as suggested in the OP.)

I love braised dishes like this in the winter, finding a shin of beef will be a bit of a challenge but not impossible.
    C/O
    "we speak the same language... sort of"