Insult or compliment?

MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
There's a famous Winston Churchill quote that I've been mulling over. It was a remark concerning his political oponent Clement Attlee and is regarded as a fine example of his wit and ability to make a stinging insult.

"Mr. Attlee is a very modest man. Indeed he has a lot to be modest about.”

I've been chewing it over, and the more I think about it the more it seems like a compliment and not an insult at all. Surely, modesty implies that one has some degree of talent about which to be modest?

If you say "I'm not very good at football" and you genuinely are not very good at football, then this is not being modest but being honest? If you say it and you just happen to be David Beckham, then that is being very modest.

:confused:

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's because mr. Atlee was not very modest at all. If you're david beckham and you're always talking about football - even though you're always telling people Pele was, is and will always be the greatest player of all times and you'll never be as good as he was- you're still constantly reminding people of the fact that you're pretty darn great and people constantly remind you about it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Could it be sarcasm? I fail it ANY history so I don't really know the whole back story :(.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Could it be sarcasm? I fail it American history so I don't really know the whole back story :(.

Because it's British history :o
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Because it's British history :o

Fuck the British :(. It's a bitch telling difference between a Chinese and a Japanese. You expect me tell who is American or British just by reading the name!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Fuck the British :(. It's a bitch telling difference between a Chinese and a Japanese. You expect me tell who is American or British just by reading the name!

In America we only name gay babies Winston. In England all babies are born gay. This rule of thumb should help you in the future.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    chuck-norris-flag.jpg
    America! Fuck Yeah! Does it look like this man is named Winston?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    chuck-norris-flag.jpg
    America! Fuck Yeah! Does it look like this man is named Winston?

Actually he looks like a Carlos Ray Norris.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited January 2011
    I fail it ANY history so I don't really know the whole back story :(.

Clement Attlee - Labour politician and Prime Minister from 1945-51

Winston Churchill - Conservative politician and Prime Minister 1940–45 and 1951–55

They stood against each other as the main opposing candidates in two elections and served together in the War Time coalition government during WWII. I don't actually know when the quote originated, could have been while they were running against each other or serving together in the coaliton governent. I guess the context would actually cast some light on it's meaning...
    Amie wrote: »
    I think it's because mr. Atlee was not very modest at all. If you're david beckham and you're always talking about football - even though you're always telling people Pele was, is and will always be the greatest player of all times and you'll never be as good as he was- you're still constantly reminding people of the fact that you're pretty darn great and people constantly remind you about it.

So he was the 1940's equivalent of an insecure bitch always digging for complements? Hmm... could be.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    its pretty obvious sarcasm
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    its an Insultiment.
  • edited January 2011
    It's an insult dumbass. Atlee was going around pretending to be the bringer of peace, and Winston was a bringer of ass kickings and wordplay.