Organizing content

thewandererthewanderer Regular
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
This forum has lots of guides, how to, and text-files scattered all through out the boards. Once a thread goes off of the first page of the board, it gets little attention.
Why not make a sticky in each forum with links to all of the notable threads of that forum? It would be good for new users to be able to see what the board already has to offer. When I find a new forum, the stickies are usually the first threads that I check.
It would also keep information from being lost and could possibly help prevent repeat topics from being made.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    The prefixed threads can be searched. I don't mind a sticky with relevant information but it will be hard to keep updated.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    The prefixed threads can be searched. I don't mind a sticky with relevant information but it will be hard to keep updated.

This is a rough draft of what I have in mind.
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=9962

Im just a big fan of organization and I think it would benefit the site as a whole as well. I'd be happy to keep a few up to date as I have fuck else to do with my free time for the next few months.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Great job., Stickied.
  • edited January 2011
    I think it's a good idea, but it would take a lot of effort to keep updated - especially when we get more members and more content. If you're up to keeping it updated and relevant, then sure dude go for it :D
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    I do plan on keeping it up to date. It shouldn't be too hard because I've been spending a lot more time on this site lately. I figure I may as well try to make myself useful :D. I might make a couple others on other boards over the next few days.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    ^No problem. Just paste the link in this thread and it will get stickied. If you really want to help out, we could use a dedicated user on the CMS for addng guides already posted on totse. It's pretty simple to use and you just need to follow few guides.
  • edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    ^No problem. Just paste the link in this thread and it will get stickied. If you really want to help out, we could use a dedicated user on the CMS for addng guides already posted on totse. It's pretty simple to use and you just need to follow few guides.

*hangs head in shame*

Sorry I haven't been adding much recently dude, I've been really busy.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    *hangs head in shame*

Sorry I haven't been adding much recently dude, I've been really busy.

Take a chill pill mate :).
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Once again, my idea is as follows.
    me wrote:
    we also need a better way of organizing text files. Here's my plan: we could have 6 categories, and <== those tabs would link to regular webpages (css and html). On these pages we would have subcategory links. Each CMS post is tagged with one of these subcategories, and those links would be searches on the CMS for that tag. That means no vanity/username tags. we chose from a set list of tags, and the subcategory links are searches to those tags. One tag per article.

The searches can either be google ones or some built in CMS thing, but the search result page would have only titles and maybe a short description, no images that take up the whole page. A custom google would search would be best IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    Katz - Have you posted this idea of yours into Dfg's daddy of all to-do lists? It's going to be the place which he'd probably take most note of ideas etc, giving it a better chance of being read and noticed.

I kinda wish more than one or two people had access to modify the site so we could all help, but that would be a security risk.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Once again, my idea is as follows.
    trx100 wrote: »
    Katz - Have you posted this idea of yours into Dfg's daddy of all to-do lists? It's going to be the place which he'd probably take most note of ideas etc, giving it a better chance of being read and noticed.

I kinda wish more than one or two people had access to modify the site so we could all help, but that would be a security risk.

I already know about this idea. And it's a bit difficult to implement. Finding a way to work it out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    ^Dammit. You're becoming more awesome everyday!