Musicians. Does being high improve the quality of music you create?

PeoplePeople Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I was doing some home recording today and realized I have never made music while high, and I feel I might be severely missing out.

Everyone knows about Hendrix, The Beatles, every good band or musician ever basically did drugs, and look! So much good music.

Do I need to get some weed to blast my music off? Any personal stories about mixing drugs and music?

Comments

• MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010

idk you tell me
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    Drugs and music were made to go together. I am willing to bet that music was invented so the cavemen had something to do whilst trippin on mushrooms :D
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    Marijuanasaurus, that's not a fair comparison. You picked Jimi's best song and the JoBro's worst song. How about 'Year 3000' vs 'Voodoo Child'? Yeah, that's what I thought.

As for the OP, my answer is: no. My music does not improve with drug intoxication. I think this might have to do with the style of music though. For instance, I think a rock artist would benefit more from drug usage than a classical composer. I can't imagine successfully juggling all the different parts of a full score while gnomes are having sex on top of the piano.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Gallows wrote: »
    Marijuanasaurus, that's not a fair comparison. You picked Jimi's best song and the JoBro's worst song. How about 'Year 3000' vs 'Voodoo Child'? Yeah, that's what I thought.

As for the OP, my answer is: no. My music does not improve with drug intoxication. I think this might have to do with the style of music though. For instance, I think a rock artist would benefit more from drug usage than a classical composer. I can't imagine successfully juggling all the different parts of a full score while gnomes are having sex on top of the piano.

LOL wait wut?

I dont know shit about the jonas brothers, you mean they actually have a worst song?? I didnt even know they had a best song! I thought was all just crap!

This is news to me, when did Jonas Brothers start making good music?
  • FONFON Regular
    edited July 2010
    While it may not improve the quality it sure as hell allows me to come up with more shit than I would sober...I haven't been smoking recently and can maybe write a decent new riff once a week...If I get blazed, I'll have 5 new riffs before the night is through, its just a matter of remembering them.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    When I used to smoke, it wouldn't make my playing or creativity better, but it did give me more energy and drive when practicing. Around the time I stopped smoking, I stopped playing and didn't pick up a guitar for a long time afterward.
  • JayJay Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Well, in my own experience, being high did somewhat get my creativity flowing. Something about being more open minded to ideas instead of shutting them down because they seem stupid, i think. I would sit with the piano / guitar, set up the recorder and jam.

Needless to say, some of the things i created that way were ridiculous, but "tripping" to the music you're creating sometimes help.

Now, creating music with other people while high is much more awesome. We came up with a few songs with my friends that are really sweet :cool:
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never been high, but as a musician, you are only limited to what you know. Getting high doesn't suddenly unlock some memory center and allows you to play more amazing stuff. It probably helps relaxing, which that is a catalyst for making better music. I make shit music while tense, but when relaxed I make beautiful stuff subjectively.
  • JayJay Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Nightside wrote: »
    I've never been high, but as a musician, you are only limited to what you know. Getting high doesn't suddenly unlock some memory center and allows you to play more amazing stuff. It probably helps relaxing, which that is a catalyst for making better music. I make shit music while tense, but when relaxed I make beautiful stuff subjectively.

That's a given. You don't magically unlock the world's knowledge by getting high. I've always believed that being high increases your associative thinking, therefore you associate ideas more easily and that helps you build songs with another mindset (if that makes any sense).
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I suppose it can help open your mind sometimes to create new riffs and what not.

But it can also effect your performance onstage. That or you don't remember the riffs that you created. This is coming from someone who doesn't do drugs btw so I guess I don't really have much say in the matter
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    My friends and I had a "band" for a while, we would smoke a blunt and then jam in the drummer's mom's basement for hours. We weren't very good but god damn those were a fun couple of months.
  • PeoplePeople Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I suppose it's worth trying then. I don't see it hurting at all. Time to visit my friend :D
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    I play the drums and I suck ass when I get high or drunk.. :o
  • JayJay Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I suppose it can help open your mind sometimes to create new riffs and what not.

But it can also effect your performance onstage. That or you don't remember the riffs that you created. This is coming from someone who doesn't do drugs btw so I guess I don't really have much say in the matter

That's also a given. If i were a full time musician, I'd be high most of the time i spent composing, but never high on stage. To forgetting the songs, add getting paranoid about fucking up and such.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    I suck at guitar when I'm high. I can't even imagine trying to synchronize with three or four equally-blazed friends.