Xubuntu

edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
What are your opinions on this particular distro? I managed to corrupt my normal Ubuntu partition the other day when I installed backtrack, but I just realized I had Xubuntu sitting on my HDD which I'd never used before.

I just booted it up and I'm just setting it up now, but I want to hear some opinions (if you have any).

Comments

• BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited January 2011
    It's just Ubuntu with a different window manager. It uses XFCE instead of Gnome.

It's the same operating system.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    yeah. They replaced GNOME with xfce, removed OOo and put in abiword.

They don't have any of that fancy 'ubuntu one' and 'me menu' stuff either.

Honestly I've found no practical difference between GNOME and Xfce in terms of resources. The small footprint difference is offset by it's crapiness IMO.

Probably because i tried Xfce much later into their development.
  • edited January 2011
    It's very minimalistic, and requires a lot more effort than Ubuntu does, that's for sure. I've just installed a few things, which went well.

It's a bitch to create shortcuts on my panel though as you can't just drag-and-drop, or right click to create a shortcut there. You have to physically add each one by creating a new item on the panel and typing in the file location. Or is there another way?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's very minimalistic,
    That's why I like it. :cool:
  • edited January 2011
    Me too :) It's pretty awesome.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah i corrupted my partition too when trying to install a slimlined version of Ubuntu 10.10 and was actually thinking about trying Xubuntu too. You need to give me some feedback if you try it out for a while :D
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah i corrupted my partition too when trying to install a slimlined version of Ubuntu 10.10 and was actually thinking about trying Xubuntu too. You need to give me some feedback if you try it out for a while :D

Hell yeah, I will keep you posted if you're really interested. Its actually not a bad OS, I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SECURING IT RIGHT Now
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes keep me posted on that, you seem to have some experience with Linux distro's.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes keep me posted on that, you seem to have some experience with Linux distro's.

I'm learning. I have fairly basic experience but I'm getttig ther :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I used XFCE manager before. It's great for VM's but in any case Gnome has more UI features.