Tell Congress: Don't Outlaw Skype

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is just another chip in the wall of freedom. This type of "chipping at the wall" legislation has been taking place for almost 100 years in the U.S. But in the last 10 years they have become more bold, more blatant, and less concerned with appearances. This present generation needs to open their eyes and mouths wide. It is time to stop this slow enslavement while we still have enough freedom to do so at the polls. This petition is all well and good, but those of you with a vote need to send a message at every election at every level of government by not voting for Republicans or Democrats. Vote only for third party or independent candidates no matter if it is for dog catcher, the presidency, or anything in between.
Skype, BlackBerry, and other Internet communications services are under attack! The Obama administration and the FBI are pushing legislation that would ban online communications technologies like these unless their developers make it easy for the government to wiretap them.

The Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) requires telecom companies to make it possible for the government to wiretap their networks. Now Obama and law enforcement want to expand CALEA to cover all online communications technologies, including peer-to-peer and social networking apps.

Companies that want to avoid stifling regulations, and those that actually care about our privacy rights, would have to leave the U.S. That'd reduce our prominence as a technology leader, and encourage the government to devise ever more heavy-handed ways of blocking Americans from using the offending technologies. Other companies would comply by creating back-doors that could lead to more privacy violations and make the Internet more vulnerable to attack: experts say wiretap-ready technologies would be much easier to hack.

An expansion of CALEA would be a tremendous blow to a free and open Internet. Lawmakers need to reject it: Will you sign our petition demanding that they do so?

Source

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Hey, cool. I'm a member of that newsletter too.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I think i got signed up to it about a month or so ago when the Patriot Act renewal came up in the house.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    FUCK YOU I WAS GOING TO MAKE THIS THREAD. :MAD:

But seriously, my sig shows my feelings about this.
    edited February 2011
    FUCK YOU I WAS GOING TO MAKE THIS THREAD. :MAD:

But seriously, my sig shows my feelings about this.

LOL

But I am glad to see you are a freedom loving patriot of the U.S. Constitution. I am not loyal to my country, it's government, or it's leaders. But I will defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    ^ lol petition signed. I was going to post it also but he beat me to it.
  • droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    I am not loyal to my country, it's government, or it's leaders. But I will defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

By doing that you are in fact being loyal to your country though. The traitors in govn't aren't loyal to the government or the country. Their loyal to corporations, wealth, death, and organizations that aren't american.
    edited February 2011
    droppinds wrote: »
    By doing that you are in fact being loyal to your country though. The traitors in govn't aren't loyal to the government or the country. Their loyal to corporations, wealth, death, and organizations that aren't american.

They could change the name, the capitol, and the location so long as the U.S. Constitution is involved I am there. So you can try to be clever by telling me what I really think but it doesn't affect what is in my mind. :fap: