Foursquare and Facebook's Check-In Feature

edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
What's the deal with these retarded features anyway? I've seen a shit load of my friends checking into places all over the place, and I really don't see the point.

Jonathon Fagjunkie checked in at Central Park

What this says to me is...

To start with, I'm telling everyone that I'm at the park for no reason at all. It doesn't matter that no one actually gives a shit - I'm still checking in. Also, I'm out and I will be for a good while. COME AND BREAK INTO MY HOUSE!

Honestly, this feature probably does more bad than good. I want your opinions.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    If it does bad then it's good for us. Think it from a criminal point of view. It's a gold mine!
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Great way for the government to keep an eye on dissidents and other undesirables, not that phones don't already track your movement.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the idea is that it's an open invitation for your friends to come out and meet up with you. Then you can read Facebook on your phones together.

Also, it isn't alerting thieves; you only have friends on Facebook. People you trust, right?

Right?
  • edited March 2011
    It's quite scary to think about this really. Foursquare and Facebook are nothing more than a incredibly huge database of information on everybody's thoughts, actions and whereabouts. It really wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was owned by an intelligence agency who wanted an easy, legal way of tracking everybody in the whole world.

Create something which everyone will love and use, then exploit their natural willingness to hand over all of their personal information. It's like one big social engineering project created by the government.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    If it does bad then it's good for us. Think it from a criminal point of view. It's a gold mine!

This. I support the stupidity of people willing to give up their private and personal info for no fucking reason other than their own ignorance. You have to watch the latest Onion News Network regarding Facebook and Social Media, the shit is hilariously true. If I were a criminal I'd be using this shit to stalk people for purposes of rape, murder, or theft.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I really, really, REALLY don't get the point in this. The amount of wankers I hate telling me where they are? Or where their mums house is? Wahey! Only a fucking idiot would use it, and the fact someone ASKED me why I don't I found to be one of the most insulting things I had ever heard.

Also the other week I saw some bitch put up her status inviting people to comment if they could guess her middle name, place of birth, date of birth, current university, etc etc. Really quite personal shit, not to mention the "lost my phone number" groups that have walls FULL of kids mobile numbers.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

edit:
    BaconPie wrote: »
    Also, it isn't alerting thieves; you only have friends on Facebook. People you trust, right?
    Right?

I know people that believe this. With even only 5 friends, your data isn't safe, nor your actions. I created a troll account via TOR and checked my ex girlfriend's wall, and there were my good mates, even after years of not seeing my ex, discussing me! I couldn't see it because I blocked the bitch many moons ago, but even now, my good friends talking about ME on her wall, which was public anyway.
    Seriously, fuck this facebook shit. Fuck it to Hell and back.